6” Coil Test On Freshwater Beach - Gold Ring

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Guest Tnsharpshooter

More data.
Note this pic.
This ring the small ring used in tests earler here.
This testing conducted on fresh water sanded beach. Oem wireless headphones used.
1zbcikx.jpg

All detect modes tested except for gold 2  mode.

I buried this ring at different depths many times and the same depth many times in order to get what I thought was good solid data.
Ring was buried moreso with opening upwards.
This ring is small and is 10k.

Best performing detect modes for depth.
Park 2 and Gold 1 detect modes.
At 10” deep both ofnthese modes give good solid signal and great ID of ring.
Good runnners up were park 1 and field 1.
Next best beach 1
Then field 2
Beach 2 lousy.

Speeds of 4 and 5 yielded voth good tone and good ID at 10”depth using park 2 and gold 1 modes.
I could almost get as good a signal using park 1 and field 1 if I keep speed slower but ID dodgy.

With ring at 7.5”deep park 2 speed 6, sound like target practically on top of sand/ground. Strong.
Beach 2, poor performer at depth, I would never use likely on freshwater beach period.

Using gold 1 and comparing to park 2, signal stronger at 10” slightly vs park 2, by running down sens level and comparing.
ID though when comparing gold 1 and park 2 ID on deep ring similar qualitty wise even though gold 1 signal stronger.

I could hear 10”deep ring using gold 1and park 2, no ID present speed 7, speed 6 ID more hit and miss, level 5 ID gets solid.

I did experiment with depths deeper than 10”.
It seemed there was a small window like estimated 1/2” where Nox would yield nonferrous  tone although weak, but ID in error or nonexistant.
No detection at 12” with any mode.
Some detection sporadic at 11” though.
10.5” detection was there but ID hit and miss, but was there, would read lower than rings actual airtest reading though.
And chasing things that read 2,3 and 4, anyone who has used a Nox on saltwater beach or even land,,,,expect real small whatever made of aluminum or other low conductor.

jfc9ci.jpg

hi tnsharpersooter, great feedback. A question.  What was the VDI for the target. Did you see a different ID when in pinpointer mode?

Cheers CH

Guest Tnsharpshooter
3 hours ago, CliveHamy said:

hi tnsharpersooter, great feedback. A question.  What was the VDI for the target. Did you see a different ID when in pinpointer mode?

Cheers CH

ID of 9/10.

Did not look at pinpoint  data.

Did pinpoint ring when buried at 10” and 11”, good solid pinpoint.

5 hours ago, CliveHamy said:

Cheers CH

There is no VDI in pinpoint mode.  Whatever number is in the VDI when in pinpoint is the last number that was in search mode the moment you switched to pinpoint.  If you'll notice the VDI stays constant while in pinpoint.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Guest Tnsharpshooter
14 minutes ago, NCtoad said:

There is no VDI in pinpoint mode.  Whatever number is in the VDI when in pinpoint is the last number that was in search mode the moment you switched to pinpoint.  If you'll notice the VDI stays constant while in pinpoint.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Maybe this will help explain.

This pic here has clad  dime and nickel.

xc3adg.jpg

Nickel reads 13 when swept using park 2.

Clad dime reads 25.

If I use pinpoint over the nickel, 13 comes in window, and if I keep pinpoint depressed and move coil over clad dime, 13 remains in rhe window, yet detector sounds off alerting user of metal under coil.

If I use pinpoint over the dime, 25 pops in meter, holding pinpoint and getting coil over nickel, 25 is still in meter, yet detector sounds off on nickel(metal) for user.

1 hour ago, Tnsharpshooter said:

Maybe this will help explain.

This pic here has clad  dime and nickel.

xc3adg.jpg

Nickel reads 13 when swept using park 2.

Clad dime reads 25.

If I use pinpoint over the nickel, 13 comes in window, and if I keep pinpoint depressed and move coil over clad dime, 13 remains in rhe window, yet detector sounds off alerting user of metal under coil.

If I use pinpoint over the dime, 25 pops in meter, holding pinpoint and getting coil over nickel, 25 is still in meter, yet detector sounds off on nickel(metal) for user.

That's what I was trying to say above, but it wasn't very clear.  Numbers don't change in pinpoint mode.  Whatever it's reading when you hit the pinpoint button is what it stays at until  you hit detect mode button.  

On 8/2/2018 at 12:56 AM, NCtoad said:

Hi NCtoad. Thanks, the reason for my question is that often when I detecting what I call a variable ID object I do get a different Pinpoint ID from the search ID. I find it is fairly common. I've no doubt that when the target is a nice symmetrical coin then the two ID's will be the same, but when you get an object where the search Id is say varying on each sweep say 13/14/15/19 etc then when you switch to pinpoint the ID may be consistently 12. (I've noticed it tends to be on the lower end of the scale). I was wondering if pinpoint was using a different algorithm to the different search modes and whether it would be more reliable as an indicator of the object. (I've also noticed the depth Indicator is often different in the two modes as well) I guess that in your theory, what I am seeing is the last search ID indicated being "grabbed" and displayed in the pinpoint mode. Your model is a good simple explanation but alas means there is nothing extra to be gleaned about the ID of the object. I'm hoping that someone from Minelab can confirm how it works....

3 hours ago, CliveHamy said:

Hi NCtoad. Thanks, the reason for my question is that often when I detecting what I call a variable ID object I do get a different Pinpoint ID from the search ID. I find it is fairly common. I've no doubt that when the target is a nice symmetrical coin then the two ID's will be the same, but when you get an object where the search Id is say varying on each sweep say 13/14/15/19 etc then when you switch to pinpoint the ID may be consistently 12. (I've noticed it tends to be on the lower end of the scale). I was wondering if pinpoint was using a different algorithm to the different search modes and whether it would be more reliable as an indicator of the object. (I've also noticed the depth Indicator is often different in the two modes as well) I guess that in your theory, what I am seeing is the last search ID indicated being "grabbed" and displayed in the pinpoint mode. Your model is a good simple explanation but alas means there is nothing extra to be gleaned about the ID of the object. I'm hoping that someone from Minelab can confirm how it works....

I think it just latches the id displaying when you hit pinpoint.  I don't pay much attention to the number if it is "in the ballpark" unless it happened to "grab" a ferrous ID on the coil swing when I am trying to pinpoint a high conductive silver or similar "wide" TID discrepancy greater than 7 to 10 ID points or so greater difference.  Other than that, I look for a small pinpoint footprint, indicating that it likely is seeing the target of interest (hopefully a coin or ring, if that is what I am after) vs. the hole or a nearby junk target.  If I am getting a big target footprint, then I know I am probably looking at a can or piece of ferrous junk, and can move on.