A friend of mine got the Anderson shaft for his Nox, put it together, and when he has the coil on the ground and turns his wrist left and right, while holding the handle, the upper rod twist with his hand movements while the coil stays flat on the ground. Is this normal? Or, should the coil be lifted a bit depending on which way his wrist is turning? 

I hope I'm explaining this well enough to be understood. Thanks for any info you may have.

It's twisty. I think they are a terrible shaft for the money. Pluggers shafts are solid all the way around. A lot easier on the wallet too!

I have the Anderson shaft and mine is rock solid. More than pleased with mine. It's well made and looks good

• Like 2

I hope it's not twisty as I just ordered one a few days ago and should be here today.   I got the Anderson over the Pluggers because the Anderson comes with a carbon fiber lower shaft which is hopefully a better spec shaft than than the plastic stock one.  Which should prevent any twisting or wobbling.

be sure to check when you have the shaft all together, lay the coil flat on the floor and put your hand on the handle and twisted left and right. My Anderson shaft does not lift the coil off the ground. The whole upper shaft twists. Just to be clear, the twist is about one half inch in either direction.

1 minute ago, unearth said:

be sure to check when you have the shaft all together, lay the coil flat on the floor and put your hand on the handle and twisted left and right. My Anderson shaft does not lift the coil off the ground. The whole upper shaft twists. Just to be clear, the twist is about one half inch in either direction.

I had the same problem. I heard that Anderson was using a double hole in the upper shaft for the double spring clip in the lower rod in some of the first ones produced. Now it has a single hole with a chinsey plastic bolt that you seat down to the lower rod to lock it in place. No side to side movement. It's only when the coil is flat on the ground with twist left to right if and when you rotate your arm. Hopefully Anderson steps up and takes care of the issue.

Oops! I just received my Anderson shaft and will check it out for this problem. Thanks for the heads up.

11 hours ago, SDMiner said:

It's twisty. I think they are a terrible shaft for the money. Pluggers shafts are solid all the way around. A lot easier on the wallet too!

Not having that issue that I know of. Jammed into some rough surf this week and it was totally solid - arm rest, control head, and lower rod held up under some extreme torque.  Granted just a few times out so far.  I have the single spring clip version.  I will try the grounded coil twist (not something I would ever intentionally do - I don't lean on my detector shaft for support during target recovery) but the surf torque seems like a similar situation and I did not have issues.  Will report back if I do.

You do pay extra for the lower shaft and arm rest on the Anderson, but prefer the Anderson lower shaft vs. the ML which you have to reuse on the Plugger (I know that there are two ways to look at this). You can easily drive the price up on the Plugger if you opt to not reuse the ML components you don't like (arm rest, lower shaft).  I like the Plugger travel shaft option, though. Not clear if the Plugger allows choices on where to mount the control head like Anderson.  Love that feature, with the distance between the arm rest and control head being user adjustable, it has greatly reduced arm fatigue for me.  If so, may just get the Plugger travel shaft for my 800 (my 600 water machine has the Anderson)

In the end, glad there are more than one third party options for Equinox.  It's good to have choices.

I have one i tested on the Nox......... works outstanding.  BUT..... they changed it a bit.   What they did is went to a single spring clip (like ML) and eliminated double holes.    For water hunting....... that could still allow some coil movement even with their bolt much like the problem with the ML shaft and the twist locks. If it were me........ id put a double spring clip in it and drill out a couple of the holes.   I have NO movement and mine gets a work out.  

Received my anderson shaft today and just put it together.  I do have the shaft twist...it's very slight, but if I tighten the screw pretty tight it's pretty much rock solid.  But that screw is small and the surface area that makes contact with the lower shaft is very small and I just don't know how it will hold up over time.  And I don't want to strip that screw as it's plastic.  My main concern is with the lower rod on the closest hole to the head unit and with the head unit on the lowest hole, the detector is still about 1/2" higher (longer) than with the stock set up where the lower rod is on the 4th hole from the top.  I'm 5'10" and don't have exceptionally long arms so it feels that the detector is still just a little long for my tastes.  There's plenty of room in the upper rod for more holes.  I wonder why Anderson didn't drill more for shorter people.  For people shorter than me or people with long arms this shaft would be too long unless you like swinging way out in front of you.   

I also weighed the detector totally stock and with the new shaft and anderson cuff.  It's slightly heavier now, but it seems a little better balanced.  Hard to tell for sure on the balance because I don't have two to compare side by side...one stock and one with the anderson set up.  I'm just going by remembering what the stock setup felt like before I changed it over to the Anderson.

My only other gripe is that I originally took the Anderson cuff off as I wanted the stock one with the "feet" on it.  (The Anderson doesn't have any feet on it's cuff to help keep the detector upright when you set it down.)  As I slid it off the screw holes in it were not deburred and scratched the shaft pretty badly...it's just superficial, but it looks bad.  I ended up putting the Anderson cuff back on because with the detector head in the lower hole the minelab cuff was up near my elbow...there's no adjustment for it, only one hole.  The Anderson cuff has three adjustment holes and on the lowest one it feels good.

• Like 1