Anderson Nox Shaft Question

unearth

Thanks for all the feedback. I really appreciate the input.

I'm wondering if all the carbon fiber shafts have the same problem, the top shaft twisting a bit around the lower shaft? Is there a two piece carbon fiber shaft that the top and bottom work in unison? Or does it have to be just one long shaft to avoid any twisting? Is there some modification needed to make the two or three piece shaft totally rigid? Or maybe I'm just being too picky??

Thanks again for all the feedback.

I think to be fair to Andersons, maybe ask them about making it more secure or resolving any unwanted movement ?

I would be fairly sure that any reputable manufacturer would want to know about it.

My home made carbon fiber shaft with Minelab lower shaft, single pin height adjustment + Plugger lower shaft lock has zero movement 

Good luck getting it sorted 

So everyone knows, I'm not trying to be unfair to Andersons. Since Andersons doesn't sell out their door and only through distributers, I'm sending the shafts back to the seller and I will call Andersons and tell them about my experience.

Like I said before, trying to get a two or three piece shaft to act like a single rod, I maybe asking too much. If that's the case, I'll keep what came with the detector. If and when there is a problem with the shaft, I'll deal with it then.

Really........ i buy mine from Andersons.   But you have to remember they are in Canada.   Pete made me a lower shaft 4" longer for my Xcal.   I see he made that adjustment on his Nox shaft ...... smart move because we were buying Whites tall boys for extra length.   NSA..... good move i make mine as well...... but jumped at the opportunity to test an Andersons.   That one change thou....... double holes and single spring clip for water hunters might cause an issue.

I wish there were some available in the UK.  Cant track one down at mo, and i dont fancy paying import from the states

Andy..

I want to thank everyone for their input to my post. I really appreciate all the help and info I get from this forum. And, I would like to also say thank you, don't know if he reads any forums, to Pete Anderson for taking the time, about 20 minutes of phone time, to talk to me about his anderson Nox shaft. By the way, my friend and I are keeping the shafts.

Thanks again everyone.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2018 at 5:22 PM, NCtoad said:

Received my anderson shaft today and just put it together.  I do have the shaft twist...it's very slight, but if I tighten the screw pretty tight it's pretty much rock solid.  But that screw is small and the surface area that makes contact with the lower shaft is very small and I just don't know how it will hold up over time.  And I don't want to strip that screw as it's plastic.  My main concern is with the lower rod on the closest hole to the head unit and with the head unit on the lowest hole, the detector is still about 1/2" higher (longer) than with the stock set up where the lower rod is on the 4th hole from the top.  I'm 5'10" and don't have exceptionally long arms so it feels that the detector is still just a little long for my tastes.  There's plenty of room in the upper rod for more holes.  I wonder why Anderson didn't drill more for shorter people.  For people shorter than me or people with long arms this shaft would be too long unless you like swinging way out in front of you.   

I also weighed the detector totally stock and with the new shaft and anderson cuff.  It's slightly heavier now, but it seems a little better balanced.  Hard to tell for sure on the balance because I don't have two to compare side by side...one stock and one with the anderson set up.  I'm just going by remembering what the stock setup felt like before I changed it over to the Anderson.

My only other gripe is that I originally took the Anderson cuff off as I wanted the stock one with the "feet" on it.  (The Anderson doesn't have any feet on it's cuff to help keep the detector upright when you set it down.)  As I slid it off the screw holes in it were not deburred and scratched the shaft pretty badly...it's just superficial, but it looks bad.  I ended up putting the Anderson cuff back on because with the detector head in the lower hole the minelab cuff was up near my elbow...there's no adjustment for it, only one hole.  The Anderson cuff has three adjustment holes and on the lowest one it feels good.

Ok, had my first hunt with the new Anderson shaft yesterday and it's rock solid, no looseness or creaking.  As mentioned in my previous post, I ended up using the Anderson cuff which doesn't have a built-in stand.  I really like the built-in stand of the minelab cuff and missed it while detecting yesterday.  So last evening I made one for the Anderson shaft.  This also covers up the scratches I made to the end of the shaft when I switched back and forth between the minelab and Anderson cuffs.  I think my stand will make the detector much more stable when I set it down on the ground.

20180804_215128_HDR.jpg

20180804_215140_HDR.jpg

• Like 2