Finding Pocket Gold

I noted this on another forum but want to do so here too so here goes. How many of you have experience with pocket gold? I've pocket hunted a few places hopping around with a little luck, mostly CA Mother lode country and AZ. Here are some good reads for ya if'n you're not familiar with it. Anyone from the east do this, like Georgia or Virginia? I'l be visiting Virginia for a few weeks this year, would love to hear some local voices. 

Pocket Gold - Prospecting For The Source
POCKET GOLD - LOCATING THE SOURCE

Pocket Hunting for Gold
» Pocket Hunting for Gold 

Pocket Gold Prospecting
Pocket Gold Prospecting

Mud Men: Pocket Miners of Southwest Oregon—Part I
Mud Men: Pocket Miners of Southwest Oregon?Part I - ICMJ's Prospecting and Mining Journal

• Like 5

I noted this on another forum but want to do so here too so here goes. How many of you have experience with pocket gold?

No experience, but that's where I'm concentrating my prospecting efforts on. Thanks for the posts. There's definitely a few tidbits I picked up that has given me a little more insight into what I should be looking for. 

I hunt pocket gold in and around the Klamath river and S Oregon area. And I know of some killer pocket gold strikes that were made in Oregon last year that I can't say where, (pounds!) and it was with a metal detector. Go for it with the GPZ 7000. Lots of pockets left in those remote areas...

• Like 1

Nugget Bob,

Thanks for the post.

I have several claims in pocket country.

I was working on a pocket a few years back. It was where the old timers had dug one out. I was headed for the second pocket and was getting close, but a hanging wall stopped me. If I go at again, I'll have to shore up the hanging wall with timbers so it doesn't fall on me. Anyone want to help?
Jim
  • Like 1

Never knew about this. Thank you Nugget Bob!

There is a small abandoned gold mine close to where I live. I have been meaning to go back inside with the SDC 2300 now the weather is getting better. The floor is covered in white quartz shards where people cut into the walls to find the gold and other minerals, I guess. Previous rock hunters have found some beautiful malachite samples there. All I found was huge frog!

It's at the bottom of a steep ravine and I thought previously that I'd seen signs of ancient digging/tailings in the hill above the mine entrance. Perhaps there are other smaller pocket gold deposits above the mine that were never found.

I read that Gold Hill in Oregon was a Pocket gold mine and they took out like $15 million in gold from it in the 1800's. Dunno how it was found tho?

Yes, I have been to the Gold Hill Pocket! They just stumbled accross it while hunting. It was large slabby pocket gold, inches thick. No placer directly below it though, which is strange. But small multi-pockets in the entire area, as well as placer on the other side of the ridge which feeds the Rogue river. Every peice of quartz that I collected and took home and crushed from that area had gold in it.

• Like 4

Never knew about this. Thank you Nugget Bob!

There is a small abandoned gold mine close to where I live. I have been meaning to go back inside with the SDC 2300 now the weather is getting better. The floor is covered in white quartz shards where people cut into the walls to find the gold and other minerals, I guess. Previous rock hunters have found some beautiful malachite samples there. All I found was huge frog!

It's at the bottom of a steep ravine and I thought previously that I'd seen signs of ancient digging/tailings in the hill above the mine entrance. Perhaps there are other smaller pocket gold deposits above the mine that were never found.

I use the SDC 2300 to scan quartz that has been pulled out of mines...as well as the ATX. Hard to beat the gold bug 2 for this doing though, prob the best to use for this...

• Like 3