GPX 5000 -- Not For Novices?

Mac

Is it valid that the GPZ 5000 is not for the novice detectorist? I have read on other forums, and reviews on websites that sell detectors, that this detector is very difficult to set up and operate effectively, and is not capable of productive use "from the box" -- thus geared for the advanced, deeply experienced detectorist. I ask because when I bought the Garrett ATX I had the means to buy the GPZ 5000, but was intimidated with it due to everything I'd read. Prior to that my use of detectors consisted of the old BFO types and VLF. And am not too tech savvy and impatient with electronics. So, I opted to buy the ATX. But next summer I'm adding to my detectors. Buying at least 2 more, one will be a White's MXT or GMT (Steve's review has been studied word-for-word), and the other ideally a Minelab. If not a GPZ 5000 then the 7000, and if not either then just one new detector. 

Hi Mac, 

GPX 5000 - just so that no-one thinks Minelab has brought out a new detector  ?

I have never used a GPX of any model nor even held one but...it is one of the reasons I went for a GPZ 7000 - I was told they were less complicated with the array of settings.  And I have found the 7000 very easy. 

But, there is a bloke on Prospecting Australia that goes by the name of BJay and I have been out with him a few times.  He has a GPX 4500 and he always finds gold, usually more than me.  He says that he basically leaves it in default and changes only 2 or 3 settings up or down depending on the type of ground he is in. 

I suppose it depends if a person wants to over complicate things or not.  

Then there is the plethora of coils that can be used on a GPX - my bank account couldn't afford wanting the latest and greatest coil every 3 months  ?

Good luck with your choice.

• Like 1

You can learn to use the 5000! It is a very capable detector with many coil options. I personally do not think you need more than three or four coils.

As has been many times the operator is as, or more, important than the detector.

If you get one, get Jonathan Porters dvd on the 5000...money well spent!

fred

• Like 2

The GPX models may seem intimidating but actually they are easy to operate. Just resist the urge to mess with all the settings. Kind of like the Equinox - people do more harm than good more often than not when straying too far from the defaults, which work just fine.

Beginner's Guide to Tuning the Minelab GPX 5000

Minelab GPX 5000 Information

post-1-0-66623900-1422990420.jpg