My Real World Equinox 800 Experience (so Far)

Juiceman

Hi all I am on the fence about my 800 after about 100hrs detecting with it. Just spent 12 Hrs detecting a very crowded busy beach. I was with my detecting partner who uses a $350 beep and dig machine that is not known for beach hunting. I find that I am constantly trying to "calm" the 800 down (too chattery too much EMI whatever). My partner is keeping up with my finds and yesterday at the beach Kicked my a**. Feel like throwing the 800 in the water sometimes. There were times when she would ask me to come over and ID a target and the 800 was having a hard time even detecting what the beep and dig machine was hot on. Other times the 800 would hit hard on a tiny 1-2 mm piece of foil gum wrapper 6" down! What gives is my 800 defective?

27 minutes ago, BeachHunter said:

Try a factory reset and then do a noise cancel to see if that helps.

Hello BH, Been there done that many times, I did factory reset prob 5 times yesterday it never really helped. I want to love my new machine but at this point I think I would have been better off using the $900 to buy two or three used machines that would do cover every thing this machine is supposed to be able to do. I see all the positive comments on the internet about the 800 and I wonder if I am in the twilight zone LOL. Cause I have not seen what all the hype is about. It may be time for me to contact Minelab.

• Thanks 1

What settings are you using? Setting sensitivity too high (the default of 20 can be too high) is the most common problem.

Is this a saltwater beach? Are you using the Beach Mode? Are you checking for electrical interference.

Yes, the machine could have a bad coil, etc. but without more information there is no way to say more about it.

The Equinox is working well for huge numbers of people so this is either an issue for your particular detector or the setup.

Minelab Equinox Essential Information

• Like 1

I took my 800 to a saltwater So Cal beach two weeks ago. Ran it in Beach 1 with the gain between 20-22 and it ran beautiful and quiet on both the wet and the dry sand. I was really impressed with how well it performed. In all my years of detecting the beach, I've never used any single frequency detector that goes as deep on the wet sand as the Makro Racers, Kruzer and Notka Impact, but my Nox outing to the beach yielded a few coins on the wet sand that I'm sure those detectors would not have hit. 

Things you could try if you havent already reduce Sensitivity, Turn off your phone if you have it with you, Try a single frequency instead of Multi ( I have heard this can help with bad EMI), Try Tracking GB if mineralisation is bad, Noise Cancel every time you change a Mode.

You might also try Gold mode or Park or Field mode at the beach.

Does it do it everywhere ? eg in the Park or paddock too ? ..if so it may be a bad coil.

Good luck, hope u get it sorted.?

Seems to be a faulty coil . I find the default beach settings ideal. Sometimes have to reduce sensitivity down to 15/16. Other than that the 800 is very good at really deep targets----small bits of aluminium 10 inches etc.   The engineers have done a good job with the basic settings. My maxim is     " if it aint broke then don"t fix it ". [  ex Deus fanatic ]  Get your machine checked out---all the best from U.K.