Nickels Undersearched In Heavily Searched Sites?

Can I just clarify that you guys are talking about COPPER coins that the Minelabs hit just fine? 12-14 TID.

Any machine will bang an American nickle, it doesn't make it a gold hound. Minelabs were very low frequency back then which may be why they didn't hit the earring, every machine and setting is a set of chosen compromises. Sure you might have missed some chains, but you will probably find 20-40 deep gold rings in a summer without digging much small foil.

A  nickle machine is one like the Deus in 18kHz and I guess for that reason, the Equinox and other machines on a similar frequency. (Gold alloy response peaks around 18kHz)

Despite being a higher conductivity then iron, nickle is still ferromagnetic. Metal detectors are designed to reject nickle (ferrous) phase shifts while using disc.

So the challenge to finding a real nickle coin is 2-pronged. You need the Freq and a way to decipher ferrous from this pseudo ferrous responses. Gold is way easier to recognize then nickle. Nickle takes a bit of time to recognize the jumpy erratic responses they give.

I just want to break this association people have with 5-cent coins and gold. Sure you can find a gold ring at 12, but there is gold from 1 to 25 TID.

Deep gold sounds similar to deep nickle (Nickle gets more erratic the shallower it is, deep nickle can be almost pleasant at times.), just as small deep square nails are similar to small deep silver responses.

Having a 18kHz machine typically expands the TID range just above iron giving more resolution to work in that range. This gives more accuracy to the ferrous/nonferrous decisions we have to make when presented with very low conductors.

7 hours ago, Alluminati said:

Can I just clarify that you guys are talking about COPPER coins that the Minelabs hit just fine? 12-14 TID.

Any machine will bang an American nickle, it doesn't make it a gold hound. Minelabs were very low frequency back then which may be why they didn't hit the earring, every machine and setting is a set of chosen compromises. Sure you might have missed some chains, but you will probably find 20-40 deep gold rings in a summer without digging much small foil.

A  nickle machine is one like the Deus in 18kHz and I guess for that reason, the Equinox and other machines on a similar frequency. (Gold alloy response peaks around 18kHz)

Despite being a higher conductivity then iron, nickle is still ferromagnetic. Metal detectors are designed to reject nickle (ferrous) phase shifts while using disc.

So the challenge to finding a real nickle coin is 2-pronged. You need the Freq and a way to decipher ferrous from this pseudo ferrous responses. Gold is way easier to recognize then nickle. Nickle takes a bit of time to recognize the jumpy erratic responses they give.

I just want to break this association people have with 5-cent coins and gold. Sure you can find a gold ring at 12, but there is gold from 1 to 25 TID.

Deep gold sounds similar to deep nickle (Nickle gets more erratic the shallower it is, deep nickle can be almost pleasant at times.), just as small deep square nails are similar to small deep silver responses.

Having a 18kHz machine typically expands the TID range just above iron giving more resolution to work in that range. This gives more accuracy to the ferrous/nonferrous decisions we have to make when presented with very low conductors.

I think if you read the OP's original post, his thoughts were not about a detector that does well on nickels being a "gold hound".

My take was that he was more curious as a coin hunter why so many nickels were left behind by coinshooters back in the day.  Also how it may relate to the use of discrimination.  No mention of gold was made in his original post at all.

I always thought my Minelab CTX was a very solid performer on nickels.  My first time out with my 19KHz G2+  in a location I had gone over quite well with my CTX, I found four nickels in a short time.  I also found 2 nickels within 30ft of the back door of my house, which I had also scoured with my CTX.  Interpret what you will from that.  I was quite surprised!

As to the association between nickels and gold which the OP doesn't necessarily make in this thread.  I think it's generally at that point on the conductive scale where gold jewelry STARTS to appear in it's wide range within the conductive TID scale.  Some micro jewelry, and obviously small nuggets appear in the foil range. So, if people are hunting gold jewlery, the nickel area would be a TID starting point, and a reasonable association as such IMO.  I think you're reading more into the OP's original post than there was, or perhaps I missed it?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alluminati said:

Yes you missed it.

If you read the post directly before mine it may help add some context for you.

Still no association between gold and nickels in his post either?  

His post was about his Tesoro finding stuff including a gold bead earring, and a bunch of nickels, behind some guys with minelabs.

I assumed you were addressing the OP's post about nickels since you didn't quote him.  MY mistake.  None of them find it all, even Minelabs!

Just now, EMField said:

Still no association between gold and nickels in his post either?  

His post was about his Tesoro finding stuff including a gold bead earring, and a bunch of nickels, behind some guys with minelabs.

I assumed you were addressing the OP's post about nickels since you didn't quote him.  MY mistake.  None of them find it all, even Minelabs!

?

Just now, Alluminati said:

?

He also mentioned dimes.   I took that as a score one for Tesoro kind of thing cuz it found nickels behind the Minelab guys.

My point is that the OP made no association between nickels and gold, other than to reference a different thread.  The nickel thing  in his post is of a totally different context than when you said "I just want to break this association people have with 5-cent coins and gold".  He was looking at nickels from a coinshooting perspective.

I'll  end it here, as I think the original subject of nickels has gotten off track.

CHEERS

1 hour ago, EMField said:

As to the association between nickels and gold which the OP doesn't necessarily make in this thread.  I think it's generally at that point on the conductive scale where gold jewelry STARTS to appear in it's wide range within the conductive TID scale.  Some micro jewelry, and obviously small nuggets appear in the foil range. So, if people are hunting gold jewlery, the nickel area would be a TID starting point, and a reasonable association as such IMO.

I have seen gold read anywhere from in the ferrous range all the way up to where an aluminum can reads. In other words, over nearly the entire target id scale, from smallest to largest. The sweet spot for women's rings is below U.S. nickel in the foil range and definitely not a range to exclude. The sweet spot for men's rings is above U.S. nickel where most large pull tabs read. The immediate nickel range is actually a weak spot for gold rings, too high for most women's rings, and too low for most men's rings. That is not to say rings do not appear in the nickel range, just that it is not a hot range for gold rings.

Target ID / VDI Numbers For Gold Nuggets And Gold Jewelry

9 hours ago, Alluminati said:

There is no way anyone will break me from associating U.S. nickels with gold. I use it as a reference point when jewelry detecting exactly because of where a nickel reading relates both to men's and women's rings. For nugget detecting a U.S. nickel provides an excellent reference point for detector performance comparisons by being a standard and easily obtainable item that falls squarely where one would expect nuggets weighing several grams to appear. Therefore just like a dime being a reference for people hunting silver, a nickel provides a standard reference for people hunting gold. The metal/alloy mix makes no difference - all that matters is the size and target id number. Detectors know nothing about metals and alloys, and anything that reads just like a nickel, whether it is a pull tab beavertail, eraser holder, lead bullet, or gold nugget is all the same as far as the detector is concerned. Gold nuggets are an alloy also, the most common metal in a nugget after silver being copper.

My standard references are ferrous, nickel, and zinc penny which act to divide the target id range into three useful "zones":

Ferrous
Small gold nuggets, necklaces, ear rings, women's rings (and tons of small aluminum trash)
U.S. nickel
Men's gold rings, larger gold nuggets (pull tabs, larger aluminum trash)
Zinc penny
Silver and copper coins, silver jewlery

For small gold items including women's rings I will concentrate on the zone between ferrous and nickel. For larger gold jewelry I focus on the range between nickel and zinc penny. For silver and copper coins it is anything above zinc penny. This is quick and dirty but with any detector tell me where ferrous, nickel, and zinc penny read, and I can figure out all the rest.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EMField said:

He also mentioned dimes.   I took that as a score one for Tesoro kind of thing cuz it found nickels behind the Minelab guys.

My point is that the OP made no association between nickels and gold, other than to reference a different thread.  The nickel thing  in his post is of a totally different context than when you said "I just want to break this association people have with 5-cent coins and gold".  He was looking at nickels from a coinshooting perspective.

I'll  end it here, as I think the original subject of nickels has gotten off track.

CHEERS

The very first line the OP posted was about a gold thread was it not?

Do you not see the correlation between skipping prime gold numbers in lieu low hanging high conductors? Isn't the reason most dig silver is because it is easier? Think about it, you dinn't even have zinc pennies until 1983.

I've already explained why there is a surplus of low conductors, that is exactly what the OP is asking for. I at least gave the courtesy to talk about the right metal. You're lack of understanding is why you perceive this is being off track.

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I have seen gold read anywhere from in the ferrous range all the way up to where an aluminum can reads. In other words, over nearly the entire target id scale, from smallest to largest. The sweet spot for women's rings is below U.S. nickel in the foil range and definitely not a range to exclude. The sweet spot for men's rings is above U.S. nickel where most large pull tabs read. The immediate nickel range is actually a weak spot for gold rings, too high for most women's rings, and too low for most men's rings. That is not to say rings do not appear in the nickel range, just that it is not a hot range for gold rings.

Target ID / VDI Numbers For Gold Nuggets And Gold Jewelry

There is no way anyone will break me from associating U.S. nickels with gold. I use it as a reference point when jewelry detecting exactly because of where a nickel reading relates both to men's and women's rings. For nugget detecting a U.S. nickel provides an excellent reference point for detector performance comparisons by being a standard and easily obtainable item that falls squarely where one would expect nuggets weighing several grams to appear. Therefore just like a dime being a reference for people hunting silver, a nickel provides a standard reference for people hunting gold. The metal/alloy mix makes no difference - all that matters is the size and target id number. Detectors know nothing about metals and alloys, and anything that reads just like a nickel, whether it is a pull tab beavertail, eraser holder, lead bullet, or gold nugget is all the same as far as the detector is concerned. Gold nuggets are an alloy also, the most common metal in a nugget after silver being copper.

My standard references are ferrous, nickel, and zinc penny which act to divide the target id range into three useful "zones":

Ferrous
Small gold nuggets, necklaces, ear rings, women's rings (and tons of small aluminum trash)
U.S. nickel
Men's gold rings, larger gold nuggets (pull tabs, larger aluminum trash)
Zinc penny
Silver and copper coins, silver jewlery

For small gold items including women's rings I will concentrate on the zone between ferrous and nickel. For larger gold jewelry I focus on the range between nickel and zinc penny. For silver and copper coins it is anything above zinc penny. This is quick and dirty but with any detector tell me where ferrous, nickel, and zinc penny read, and I can figure out all the rest.

Yes common gold alloy reads from just above iron, to around 2/3rds up the scale. The point I was making was to disassociate the performance of a mostly copper 5 cent to the performance of the machine on gold.  The TID does nothing to tell you if you can hit a target at an inch or a foot. Correct?

Older machines were hotter on high conductors and lack the resolution to disc very well close to iron.

The fact that people use a nickle-clad dime as a pseudo silver dime demonstrates my point, the nickle in your coins isn't nickle enough to call it nickle. If you want to use the TID of an US copper nickle as numerical benchmark, no harm in that. However using one to test nickle or gold performance is very flawed.

Come to Canada you guys will really understand what a nickle really is. Pulling a REAL nickle coin from 9" deep requires the same equipment you would use to pull a 9" deep high alloy gold ring.  Having a machine that smacks a copper-nickle isn't it. Having a machine that can ID nickle well despite it being magnetic, is the same machine that can ID gold well close to iron in the ground and electrical phase.

Weather or not this appears off topic to some, I think it's important noting the difference. The technology plays a big part in the enthusiasm and vigor one might have towards chasing a particular target. It plays a bigger part in their perception of what is actually in the ground.