Problem With Pinpointing

Propjob

I am becoming more befuddled on the Equinox 800 pinpointing . I come from the Explorer XS and Garrett GTI family of detectors an am having a bit of an issue. Some people have noted that the variation of pinpoint sounds can be a good indicator of size of the target.  I tried a half penny (1916)that I threw on lawn and target was normal in descrim mode Park 2  5 Tone Sensitivity at 15.  noise and ground balanced..  Set to pinpoint to dispel the assertion that targets were read off the tip of the coil.  Turned pinpoint on and had signal High pitch at bpth the end of the coil and halfway. Toe was higher on both and meter closed on both points.  I did not raise coil to test in that venue.   I had trouble beach hunting especially when ferrous metal was in close proximity  I have read several articles and watched you tube vids but many seem to be on clearer land and Beach (new Hampshire) than I.  Perhaps I am getting to analytical and should  refrain from using the pin pointer and relying on X marks the spot. This machine begs for additional  info than the others I have used.  I would love to learn more about this as I work it, and at this time I am using 5 tone. Great group hope I can add something.

• Like 1

Evening propjob.

Although I own an Equinox I'm unable to help you much as I don't really use the pinpoint function and haven't got much time on the machine anyway.

You may be better asking the question over in the Equinox Fan Club part of the forum - you will probably get 20 good answers in quick time. 

And you probably have already done it but searching pinpointing in the Fan Club section might also glean you the results you are chasing 

Cya   ?

Thanks Cya.. Still trying to get around

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Problem With Pinpointing

My detector does "ghost" or start off with weak audio now and then when I start pinpointing with an edge over a target or some such thing. Other than that I can pinpoint with great accuracy by either just eyeballing the beeps or employing the pinpoint button and centering the target. I do not use the “wiggle back” much.

Pinpointing Wiggle Back Style

Pinpointing Inaccuracy Theory

I am going to have to sit back and  run my tests again in my test garden.  It is easy to con yourself with to much info. I need to go back and reread the manual and articles. I think using one target at six inches as a basis  (center marked with golf tee)  would give one solid point to make basic pinpoint tests , and use that as a start point.    Trying these tests on the surface may introduce a set of variables such as ghosting an such.  I will read the  articles that youve  attached Steve and read some of the other insights.  Jim

Propjob --

I totally agree with your idea of using a 6" deep coin as a basis, marked with a golf tee.  That's a perfect way to test the pinpoint function, in my opinion.  The only other caution is, before burying that coin, make SURE there are no other targets within a foot or so radius -- i.e., bury it in clean ground.  You don't need another target nearby throwing you off, when trying to learn pinpoint.  

I find the pinpoint on the Equinox EXTREMELY accurate (though occasionally a bit "quirky," as it occasionally starts off with very low volume and has to be turned off and then back on to "reset" it; I have a theory as to what is going on when that happens, if you are interested, but don't want to take this discussion off in the weeds at this point).  Point being, once you get used to the pinpoint, I think you'll find it very accurate.  I do not think that using a coin on top of the ground is the best way to learn pinpoint with this unit, as this is such a powerful, sensitive detector, that a coin "too close" to the coil can throw things off.  The coil is very sensitive, including around the edges, especially on a shallow target (one close to the coil).  So, that can throw you off a bit, as sometimes you might be picking the target up with the edge of the coil, not the center -- and thus confusing you a bit.  That's why I think your 6" deep coin idea, in clean ground, will be a much better way to learn.

One thing I want to point out; you said something about trying to "dispel the notion that targets are read off the tip of the coil."  I'm not sure what you mean here, but I think you may be confusing a couple of things.  Here's what I mean.  As I'm sure you know, there are two different ways to pinpoint that many people use; the "X" method, and the "wiggle back" method.  Of course the "X" method involves invoking pinpoint mode, and then sweeping left to right over a target, finding the "loudest" sound, and then turning 90 degrees, and sweeping perpendicular to your initial sweeps -- finding the "loudest" signal from THAT angle.  Where the two "loudest" sounds overlap (from your two sets of sweeps) is your target location -- in the CENTER of the coil.  I'm sure you know this.  Then, there's the wiggle-back method, which involves NOT using the pinpoint mode, but just regular "search mode."  When you hit a target while searching, you simply "wiggle" the coil left and right, drawing it slightly toward you, very slowly, while still wiggling left and right.  Right where the target's tone "ceases," while drawing the coil slowly back toward you -- the target will at that point be located right off the FRONT TOE of the coil.  Is this perhaps what you are thinking, when you said something about "the notion that targets are read off the tip of the coil?"  The "hot spot" of the Equinox coil is right at the center, where the lower rod attaches to the coil ears; the only thing I know of that's been said about a target "being read off the tip of the coil" is when doing the "wiggle-back" pinpoint method...

Steve

• Like 1

Hi Steve;

Thanks for the reply.  Boy do I need to cx my eyesight!   Good information that you present.  I guess I read in one of the sites, that the sweet spot on the Nox was behind the front (tip) of the coil which technically it is if you go between the EQ and serial # decals.  I believe the writer had inferred that his sweet spot reading was slightly back from the front.  I became inclined to check to see if maybe I was missing something.   I do use the X method however the variance of the tone may not be as noticeable to me as others. And that would be affected by the size and depth of the target I tend to use the meter with the tone in pinpoint mode.  I understand the concept and can hear the signal near the Front Toe (better terminology).   I find that the signal shows itself about one half inch or so from the front housing edge. My wiggle technique in search mode is less structured and it would behoove me to watch , I believe Marks Video?  This is like playing a sport and coming in with bad habits!!!!   On the Golf Tee, I think I will drill the end of some dowels and glue the tees in the dowel.  Could even silicone coin to end. Different color tees for different depths if you want to go crazy.  Thanks  JIM

Well, did some more research on the pinpoint problems.  Have not gotten out to the garden due to the rain.  Great videos from a technical standpoint on you tube explaining the nuts and bolts of DD coils.  Author posts under the name of Quadruple Bypass.  Maybe I am a day late on this. But I thought I would pass it forward.  Jim

• Like 1

Well been out playing with the nox.  I have definitely proven that too much info is a hinderance, however the videos on you tube by Quadruple bypass was on of the more informative .I think staying to one mode and one tone choice as one of the forum members recently stated is good info.  I would ask others hw you can actually determine the size in pinpoint or discriminate mode?   I was at a trash park, yesterday tabs, screw tops and looking for old coins as this location is a point the settlers set up a colony.  The trash has been mowed into the lawn and has hard pack soil.  I decided to dig a target that gave a clean signal in park 2 that was in the mid twenties.  Ended up pulling a three inch Aluminum can top at approx. 8 " sweep and pinpoint caused me to believe it was a smaller target by the sounds and the pinpoint indicator closing at higher tone. It was a disappointing find.  Sensitivity was cranked back to 19 I recall and ground balance was high with manual grd balance.  Also, has anyone tried to record the target tone with regards to cut-off, sweeps and charecteristics of a clean target v Trash? The tonal sounds? 

"  If it's a labor of futility, at least your working"

Forgive me for not reading all the responses, so it may have been covered.

Typically the Mineslab DD coils pinpoint right under the shaft at depth. I think this is because the DD coils are still round on the outside, they still have a bit of a cone shape to the detection field.

Yes 5x10" prospecting coils and that ilk pinpoint at the toe or the heel when the target is on or close to the surface, but that is different then pinpointing a 6"-8" coin with a Minelab stock DD.

I'm still getting used to the Equinox pinpoint myself, but I know for sure with the ETrac I could pinpoint down to a 2" circle basically every time. Technically I didn't need to "X" while pinpoint because of the hot spot in the center under the shaft.