Large Cent Variations

I was lucky enough to find a couple large cents awhile back and was hoping someone knowledgeable with copper coins / large cents could shed some light on dating one of them. The 1845 large cent (good condition) measures appx. 27mm while the other large cent (which is in extremely poor condition) measures appx. 28mm. The larger coin also has the word "CENT" underlined on the reverse whereas the 1845 does not (see photos).

I have The Official Red Book of United States Coins, 63rd edition (2010) and I believe the larger cent is older. Anyone have an opinion on appx. date of larger cent?

Thanks in advance,  Malcolm

Coin Couple large cents.jpg

Coin large cent larger diameter.jpg

Coin large cent small diameter.jpg

Coin Larges obverse.jpg

• Like 2

Good data collection&measurement.  I'm looking at my Redbook (54th ed., 2001) and it seems to indicate that the larger diameter version (Designer Robert Scott) was minted prior to 1837.  Those dated 1837 and later were designed by Christian Gobrecht and termed 'Young Head'. 

For the pre-1837 type there were two versions of lettering on the reverse (again from my Redbook).  IMO (and it's very difficult to discern so don't put too much stock in my view) yours is the 1829-1837 variety.

For the Scott design there seems to be a variation on the head profile on the obverse:  'Matron head' being minted 1816 to 1835.  So that also can narrow down the date range of your coin, but it will take someone much more expert than I to figure this part out.

Regardless, you've made some nice finds.  And good for you to try an figure out more than meets the untrained eye.

• Like 3

There is lots of info on the internet that can be found quite easily with a little searching. Try "Wiki US Large Cents" and you will get plenty of info. The more corroded one seems to be a "matron head" type (1816 to 1839). The better on of the two seems to be a braided hair type.

• Like 1