Finally Treated Myself To A Decent Detecting Belt

For the longest time since I purchased my first metal detector in 1997 I've been either using my pockets or those cheap pouches that come when you buy a new metal detector. Today I bought a couple $10 pouches and used my wading belt for fly fishing. A tool belt will probably work just as good but I have my tool belt full of all the stuff that I need and I didn't feel like emptying them out ? I also bought a dandelion tool to help me dig around some of those deep targets and not ruin them. I also put a folding saw on order with a 7-inch blade because sometimes you run into a root. It is tough when you know it's a really good find and can't get to it or worse yet, put a gash in an 1875 IH that was in mint shape. Believe it or not I've had to walk away not having the proper tools and not made it back. I also put some extra dry paper towels in a plastic bag and paper towels soaked with vegetable oil in another bag the preserve relics. I have an old retainer case for good finds and also a couple Airborne containers for coins. You can separate the coins with bits of paper towel if you want. It would be cool to see what other people use for their detecting tools. I think I'm only missing a spray bottle of distilled water. Feel free to post pics or share what works for you.

IMG_20180806_210455_341.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

A good quality belt is essential IMO.  Nice kit FT.

• Like 1

That's a great looking gear setup! Fantastic idea bringing along some veg oil and relic preservation.

I keep a pretty basic setup going because I just hate to walk around with 10lbs of gear weighing me down while I'm swinging the coil. For a belt, I went with my old 5.11 tactical 1.5' trainer belt due to it's thickness and usability. I found this nifty brown leather sheath that was built for a digging tool and pinpointer off of Amazon ( here ) and ( this ) pouch for smaller relics and non-silver coins. Both of those items work well and keep the frequently used items at reach. I also bought a small tactical MOLLE pouch ( this one ) for keeping a few things handy (extra batteries, insect repellent, note pad, place for phone and small flashlight)

Last piece of current gear used in an old Maxpedition RollyPoly Folding Dump Pouch ( here ) for all the garbage that I find. I always haul everything that I find out and this pouch does a good job holding all the crud. It's also nice in that it folds up and stays out of the way if it's not needed at the time.

Great idea sharing out carry gear ideas! 

-Bill

IMG_1065.jpg.e9bff74ce132c42a511d09528acf85be.jpgIMG_1067.jpg.3da9466a4cd4f36b4784c1e51b29f4a8.jpg

• Like 2