Simon, You have pretty good gear in the 4500 & that Evo coil & the VLF's you have aren't too shabby either. You just need to expand your detecting locations & walk over the gold. Research, research & more research & then you need to go to the areas. They aren't going to come to you. Thats the hard part, & getting harder. But no gold is easy gold. You just have to do it. There is no other way. Good luck on your outing. Work beckons.

JW :smile: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You should become a motivational speaker! 😄

I've worked out where to go, and I'm off... with my wetsuit to try stay warm and Equinox being waterproof and my new 6". I'm sure you've guessed where but unfortunately I've been there before so nowhere new just yet.

• Like 1

JW,  Those sheep wore the top surface off and allowed those nuggets to be discovered.  Who would have thought the trails are good places to swing.  Very nice of you to get a decent solid piece too and hope even more big ones show up this year for you.

On a side note, the photo with the tailing piles, do you hunt those piles at all?  One of my specialties it Tailing Piles and I have found a few monster specimens in them.

Keep at it my friend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, kiwijw said:

better than a poke in the eye with a blunt stick

well that about made me spit out my mouth full of tea lol ...

JW, your photo journals are superb, much enjoyment going along via the word and images. Those tailings in the gullies have me itching to get to the areas here where I have found gold with GB2 in gully walls and tailing cobbles ... geez, reading of your incredible success and in the rocks playing goat, and the others' comments on this thread have me biting at the bit to get out there! That is a mighty nice tidy sum of gold!  Is this a locale requiring a long drive from home or fairly close to you? Cheers, mate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well done JW.  You seem to have many places to go within a couple of hours of where you live.

You deserve a big score now and then.

Mitchel

• Thanks 1

On 8/8/2018 at 1:29 PM, Gerry in Idaho said:

JW,  Those sheep wore the top surface off and allowed those nuggets to be discovered.  Who would have thought the trails are good places to swing.  Very nice of you to get a decent solid piece too and hope even more big ones show up this year for you.

On a side note, the photo with the tailing piles, do you hunt those piles at all?  One of my specialties it Tailing Piles and I have found a few monster specimens in them.

Keep at it my friend.

Hi Gerry, Thank you. I have actually found quite a few nuggets on sheep trails at various places over the years. Mostly by accident just by walking down them with the detector on & the coil on the ground as I walked. Not really deliberately detecting.

Here is one such incident with my 4500 & little Nugget Finder Advantage Sadie coil. I was just walking back to my wagon parked above these old timer diggings. Hit that sheep track & as I crossed it I got a signal.

4500 18 4 15 15

A nice little slug

4500 18 4 15 14a

On the same old workings at a different time with the 4500 & the 11" Minelab Commander Mono coil I got a signal on another sheep track.

4500 10 for 6.5 grams 015

The track going up the left of the photo is the same track as the piece that I got with the sadie coil. This one with the 11" coil the sheep track goes off to the right behind the control box & my hole is right on the track & into the wild thyme bushes. This dig was an earlier time than the sadie one & a different time of the year. You can see how much greener & thicker the grass is.

4500 10 for 6.5 grams 014

But a nice slug.

4500 10 for 6.5 grams 013

You are absolutely correct in the sheep having worn the ground down to the rotten schist bedrock & very close to the gold. I now scan many sheep tracks but because I am deliberately detecting them I seem to come up empty. Murphy's law. :rolleyes:

As to me detecting those & similar tailing piles....yes I have....but apart from maybe the odd alluvial piece that must have stuck to a bit of clay or mud when the old timers threw the rocks out, or stacked them,  I have got bugger all & no specimen bits. Where the old timers had a good flow of water & could wash the rocks thoroughly I have got nothing. If l now see that the rocks piles are very clean with no mud or dirt I tend to give them a miss & just focus on bedrock they exposed & target the shallow to deeper ground around the fringes of where they worked the ground. If they didn't have a  lot of water or had none at all then there is always dirt, mud & gravels in the piles then definitely worth detecting. Cheers Gerry. Best of luck to you.:smile:

On 8/8/2018 at 3:25 PM, Mac said:

Is this a locale requiring a long drive from home or fairly close to you? Cheers, mate.

Hi Mac, I would call it fairly close, within 45 minutes. 👍 Thank you for your kind words. Cheers. 

On 8/8/2018 at 4:56 PM, mn90403 said:

You seem to have many places to go within a couple of hours of where you live.

Hi Mitchel, Yes I am spoilt, I do have many places within a couple of hours drive from home. The Queenstown area & Central Otago in general is gold central. Just a lot of places need a long walk/hike once you have driven to the locations. Aye Simon.:rolleyes:

Thanks guys for the comments, kind words, Likes & feedback . :cool:

Good luck out there

• Like 4

They sure do, but at least the walks are pleasant, loads people are doing them for fun, tourists come to walk along the same tracks so it's hardly a painful thing to do... as for finding gold on walking tracks... heading to one particular location which is a good hour or more walk once you park up it seems every single time we do it John pulls gold out of the walking track, in the exact same spot, it's about a 20 meter stretch if that and every single time we've walked it we stop at this spot and have a quick detect as its the half way spot and good for a breather and drink, there hasn't been a time John hasn't got any gold out of that spot.  I'm yet to get any there! Maybe now I'm armed with the Equinox and 6" the story will change, for some reason I'm very comfortable on that detector, I know how to work it and it works well for me.  

These new cycle trails that have just had their funding approved may open up some more gold ground too, especially now you're armed with an Ebike.

1533796472556.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Simon, This be that trail? I had to scratch my head as to which trail you were referring to, but then the penny dropped.:rolleyes:  

20180326_100602

The gold being at the upper reaches.

20170812_104433

I must admit I was very surprised to get gold there the last time with the Zed & its 14" coil. That type of ground, very shallow exposed rough & crevicey bedrock & the small size of the gold, is very suitable to a high frequency VLF with small coils for getting into those tight spots. Considering I had been over it back with my 4500 & little Nugget Finder Sadie coil, A couple of times with the Gold Monster, don't recall having used or even taken the GB2 up there, but got gold each time. The last time with the Zed just blew me away. But then the Zed always blows me away, even after nearly two years using it.:wub: .  If I remember correctly, the last time there we had to dive for cover as a herd of mountain bikers came screaming along, bouncing there way down very fast & aggressively. You have unfinished business in there. Lot of scope left in there for the adventurous. Which you have to be in the gold detecting game. The snow should have climbed out of there by now. Your ski legs will be up to it easily now. :biggrin:

Good luck out there

• Like 3

Oh I do plan to go there again don't you worry about that, I just have to work out how to get there 🙂

But yes, that's the spot I was referring to, had some good times in there.  I just don't know how that little spot of track just keeps on giving.

20 minutes ago, phrunt said:

how that little spot of track just keeps on giving.

they say the goose laid golden eggs, so maybe the sheep there are pooping golden nuggets lol

• Haha 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Lunk
      I took the new GM24K into the hills this past weekend for its maiden nugget hunt. Although my first time out with it was actually a week prior, it really wasn’t a hunt since I was mainly just familiarizing myself with the features and functionality of the machine and trying out different settings on a small buried test nugget. But after finally getting the 24k dialed in, I did happen to find a subgrainer a mere foot away from the test nugget that day; an obvious zippy target at an inch and a half deep.👍 This little yellow speck won’t even register on my grain scale!

So fast forward to Saturday: I was digging every target or nuance of a target and noting the VID numbers. The occasional hot rocks in the area seemed to lock in at a solid 1 or 2 on the display screen, without deviation, but even the smallest of the subgrain nuggets I found would bounce around into higher registers, sometimes in the 70s or 80s, making it easy to differentiate the gold from the hot rocks. Slow and careful searching yielded 5 of the little yellow blighters.

Sunday I continued on where I left off on Saturday, and although I was finding tiny bits of foil and lead, the gold eluded me all day until just an hour before quitting time. I was in a trashy area littered with small remnants of old timers boot tacks that just screamed on the 24k; they were shallow enough so that a quick dig and poke with the super magnet took care of them. One of the screamers however stood out from the others because it was reading much higher on the VID. First thought was something sizeable like a 22 bullet or casing, but it turned out to be a chunk of bedrock. A quick rinse with water revealed it was actually lithified ancient riverbed sediment containing a partially exposed nugget.😃

Definitely a nice surprise. The 24k sniffed out a couple of subgrainers nearby to round out the day.

I’m really liking the new Goldmaster 24k, a very versatile VLF gold machine with innovative ground balancing technology. It’s lightweight, well balanced, very stable at high sensitivity with minimal coil bump falsing, has a pleasant tone, and won’t easily tip over when sitting on the ground. Good work, White’s! 😉

• By jrbeatty
      While rattling through a cupboard I located a film canister I'd "hidden" once containing these finds from years ago using an SD2200 and 18" DD Coiltek coil.
      The 6.8 gram specimen was found about 50 meters from the monument where that rather large specimen was found by John Deason and Richard Oates. I'm sure they'd have lost sleep worrying about not finding it:

I think the brass object (about 30mm in length with lead backing) is part of a knife handle and was even closer to the monument, buried deep in the brick red clay of the huge surfaced area surrounding it. I've no idea of the nationality but the combination of stars and what looks like a bird of prey had me thinking it could be of American origin- - - ?
      Update: it's a silver handle piece from a civil war era "Liberty and Union" gentlemans folding knife. Thanks again to "Professor Google"
    • By kiwijw
      The Saturdays afternoon detect had ended successfully with 6 little finds. This is the end of that post.

I had to call it quits on that one, but tomorrow was another day....& I would be back to finish off this old haunt...again
      So end result for the afternoon was 6 little bits for 2.59 grams.

I was rapt with that. Sunday to be continued.....
      Ok... so here we go. I didn't get back until the sunday afternoon. I approached this slope from a different direction, coming in from the bottom end. Which is how I came on to it back in my GP 3000 days when I first discovered it. On that day it was late in the day when I came upon it & I did not complete the slope then either on that first day. But I got 13 bits with the GP 3000 on that first assault with the Coiltek 10 x 5 Joey mono coil.
      The day before, Saturday, I came onto it from the top end as I had approached it from a totally different direction. I got 3 bits with the Zed at the top end but knew I would not have time to do the whole slope before dark so decided to come back on the sunday. The beauty of having been successful here with the GP 3000 I knew where the hot spots were & knew where the deeper ground was & of course the shallow ground. I was going to go very carefully over the whole lot with the Zed any way. I was only into it 5 minutes when I got my first faint signal beside an exposed raised run of glacial ground schist bedrock, but on the deeper ground side of it.
      The pick marks the spot. You will notice the direction run of the schist, which is up on edge & how it has been ground smooth by the glacial ice. The direction of that running parallel with the schist & on a slight uphill slope towards the top of the pic. The schist is covered in lichen....as you can see. The ground is generally pretty shallow with deeper "trenches" between the schist outcrops & to the left where the schist is not showing above ground. 
      Hacking into the ground & the schist wasn't very far down before I was peeling it out.
      The signal was still in there so I was very sure it was going to be gold.
      It was
      Not four feet away in some pretty deep soft ground I got another initial very faint but positive hit.
      On hitting the schist bedrock, signal still in there, I ended up attacking two crevices before the signal was out.
      Again....not even four feet away another faint hit. Deep soft ground again. I don't know where that root was coming from....or going to but it must have been leading me to gold. 
      I had only just touched the schist bedrock when the signal had moved. I wasnt that confident of it being gold. The scoop is 12 inches long & it is down about another 4 inches. But gold it was, & not that big for the depth. 
      I then got in among the exposed schist dragging the coil on its edge between the raised schist. Going very slowly I got a good signal. Photo is taken looking uphill.
      Ripping the schist out the signal lived on down. Just knew it was going to be gold. But which crevice?
      Gold it was.
      These bits of gold in among these schist outcrops became the order of the afternoon.
      One after the other
      Just ripping into the schist. 
      Signal after signal. 
      And no rubbish at all.
      Blissful detecting 
      Conditions were just perfect. Grass growth & even bush growth is very stunted due to the end of winter conditions. The spring growth has not yet kicked in. But it won't be far away. 
      End result before packing it in & heading out before dark was 10 bits for 4.62 grams. I couldn't believe it
      Result for both days 16 for 7.22 grams. Saturdays on the right, sundays on the left.
      But wait....there is still MORE to come......To be continued......
      Best of luck out there
      JW 
    • By goldseeker4000
      I was able to get out with my new GPX 5000 for the second time since buying it  and my destination was Libby Creek in Montana. I had worked up stream on saturday with the monster and had a huge amount of bedrock to detect, but finding a nugget up stream was not to be on saturday. On Sunday morning I decided to let a friend use my gold monster to give him an opertunity to find his first nugget with a detector and I would use my 5000 in search of it's first nugget. Shortly into instructing him on the monster he found two small pieces and a little while after that I got signal with the 5000 that turned out to be a 5.6 gn nugget shaped like a heart. I think I am going to like this detector way more than I did  the Gpx 4000. I got a  2.4 gn nugget saturday evening with the monster as well. 8 gn's for the weekend.

• By Lunk
      I took the Gold Monster into the hills again this weekend. With autumn well underway now, temperatures are definitely cooler than just a couple of weeks ago, but the resultant fall colors are a sight to see. 
      Only 5 minutes into the hunt on Saturday and I had recovered the first target; a chunky little bit of yellow at a good 4 inches...a nice start.

Next was a shallow target, just under the moss, that turned out to be a small flake of gold.

After digging a couple bits of foil, I manuevered the Monster’s 5-inch coil next to an ancient river-worn cobble. The detector responed with a broad, deep sounding signal that I really like to hear, as it usually heralds something good. Well, this one was no exception, because by the time I excavated the 4 inch hole I had recovered no less than ten pieces of the good stuff.

It was then that I thought to myself, certainly there must be some gold under that cobble, right? And indeed it was so...seven more bits to be exact.

The next two flakes were loners off by themselves, again just under the moss.

Ahead I spied a small depression in the moss-carpeted terrain - a good hiding spot for some gold. Sure enough, the Monster sniffed out another couple of golden goodies.

And the last target of the day was a small chunky bit down in a bedrock crevice.

Sunday was even a few degrees cooler than Saturday, with a few rain sprinkles. I hit another spot of old diggings up slope and managed to coax 3 small flakes from their hiding places.

All these nugglets combined tip the scales at a whopping 1.2 grams, but oh what fun it is to recover each little bit!