Simon, You have pretty good gear in the 4500 & that Evo coil & the VLF's you have aren't too shabby either. You just need to expand your detecting locations & walk over the gold. Research, research & more research & then you need to go to the areas. They aren't going to come to you. Thats the hard part, & getting harder. But no gold is easy gold. You just have to do it. There is no other way. Good luck on your outing. Work beckons.

JW :smile: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You should become a motivational speaker! 😄

I've worked out where to go, and I'm off... with my wetsuit to try stay warm and Equinox being waterproof and my new 6". I'm sure you've guessed where but unfortunately I've been there before so nowhere new just yet.

• Like 1

JW,  Those sheep wore the top surface off and allowed those nuggets to be discovered.  Who would have thought the trails are good places to swing.  Very nice of you to get a decent solid piece too and hope even more big ones show up this year for you.

On a side note, the photo with the tailing piles, do you hunt those piles at all?  One of my specialties it Tailing Piles and I have found a few monster specimens in them.

Keep at it my friend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, kiwijw said:

better than a poke in the eye with a blunt stick

well that about made me spit out my mouth full of tea lol ...

JW, your photo journals are superb, much enjoyment going along via the word and images. Those tailings in the gullies have me itching to get to the areas here where I have found gold with GB2 in gully walls and tailing cobbles ... geez, reading of your incredible success and in the rocks playing goat, and the others' comments on this thread have me biting at the bit to get out there! That is a mighty nice tidy sum of gold!  Is this a locale requiring a long drive from home or fairly close to you? Cheers, mate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well done JW.  You seem to have many places to go within a couple of hours of where you live.

You deserve a big score now and then.

Mitchel

• Thanks 1

On 8/8/2018 at 1:29 PM, Gerry in Idaho said:

JW,  Those sheep wore the top surface off and allowed those nuggets to be discovered.  Who would have thought the trails are good places to swing.  Very nice of you to get a decent solid piece too and hope even more big ones show up this year for you.

On a side note, the photo with the tailing piles, do you hunt those piles at all?  One of my specialties it Tailing Piles and I have found a few monster specimens in them.

Keep at it my friend.

Hi Gerry, Thank you. I have actually found quite a few nuggets on sheep trails at various places over the years. Mostly by accident just by walking down them with the detector on & the coil on the ground as I walked. Not really deliberately detecting.

Here is one such incident with my 4500 & little Nugget Finder Advantage Sadie coil. I was just walking back to my wagon parked above these old timer diggings. Hit that sheep track & as I crossed it I got a signal.

4500 18 4 15 15

A nice little slug

4500 18 4 15 14a

On the same old workings at a different time with the 4500 & the 11" Minelab Commander Mono coil I got a signal on another sheep track.

4500 10 for 6.5 grams 015

The track going up the left of the photo is the same track as the piece that I got with the sadie coil. This one with the 11" coil the sheep track goes off to the right behind the control box & my hole is right on the track & into the wild thyme bushes. This dig was an earlier time than the sadie one & a different time of the year. You can see how much greener & thicker the grass is.

4500 10 for 6.5 grams 014

But a nice slug.

4500 10 for 6.5 grams 013

You are absolutely correct in the sheep having worn the ground down to the rotten schist bedrock & very close to the gold. I now scan many sheep tracks but because I am deliberately detecting them I seem to come up empty. Murphy's law. :rolleyes:

As to me detecting those & similar tailing piles....yes I have....but apart from maybe the odd alluvial piece that must have stuck to a bit of clay or mud when the old timers threw the rocks out, or stacked them,  I have got bugger all & no specimen bits. Where the old timers had a good flow of water & could wash the rocks thoroughly I have got nothing. If l now see that the rocks piles are very clean with no mud or dirt I tend to give them a miss & just focus on bedrock they exposed & target the shallow to deeper ground around the fringes of where they worked the ground. If they didn't have a  lot of water or had none at all then there is always dirt, mud & gravels in the piles then definitely worth detecting. Cheers Gerry. Best of luck to you.:smile:

On 8/8/2018 at 3:25 PM, Mac said:

Is this a locale requiring a long drive from home or fairly close to you? Cheers, mate.

Hi Mac, I would call it fairly close, within 45 minutes. 👍 Thank you for your kind words. Cheers. 

On 8/8/2018 at 4:56 PM, mn90403 said:

You seem to have many places to go within a couple of hours of where you live.

Hi Mitchel, Yes I am spoilt, I do have many places within a couple of hours drive from home. The Queenstown area & Central Otago in general is gold central. Just a lot of places need a long walk/hike once you have driven to the locations. Aye Simon.:rolleyes:

Thanks guys for the comments, kind words, Likes & feedback . :cool:

Good luck out there

• Like 4

They sure do, but at least the walks are pleasant, loads people are doing them for fun, tourists come to walk along the same tracks so it's hardly a painful thing to do... as for finding gold on walking tracks... heading to one particular location which is a good hour or more walk once you park up it seems every single time we do it John pulls gold out of the walking track, in the exact same spot, it's about a 20 meter stretch if that and every single time we've walked it we stop at this spot and have a quick detect as its the half way spot and good for a breather and drink, there hasn't been a time John hasn't got any gold out of that spot.  I'm yet to get any there! Maybe now I'm armed with the Equinox and 6" the story will change, for some reason I'm very comfortable on that detector, I know how to work it and it works well for me.  

These new cycle trails that have just had their funding approved may open up some more gold ground too, especially now you're armed with an Ebike.

1533796472556.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Simon, This be that trail? I had to scratch my head as to which trail you were referring to, but then the penny dropped.:rolleyes:  

20180326_100602

The gold being at the upper reaches.

20170812_104433

I must admit I was very surprised to get gold there the last time with the Zed & its 14" coil. That type of ground, very shallow exposed rough & crevicey bedrock & the small size of the gold, is very suitable to a high frequency VLF with small coils for getting into those tight spots. Considering I had been over it back with my 4500 & little Nugget Finder Sadie coil, A couple of times with the Gold Monster, don't recall having used or even taken the GB2 up there, but got gold each time. The last time with the Zed just blew me away. But then the Zed always blows me away, even after nearly two years using it.:wub: .  If I remember correctly, the last time there we had to dive for cover as a herd of mountain bikers came screaming along, bouncing there way down very fast & aggressively. You have unfinished business in there. Lot of scope left in there for the adventurous. Which you have to be in the gold detecting game. The snow should have climbed out of there by now. Your ski legs will be up to it easily now. :biggrin:

Good luck out there

• Like 3

Oh I do plan to go there again don't you worry about that, I just have to work out how to get there 🙂

But yes, that's the spot I was referring to, had some good times in there.  I just don't know how that little spot of track just keeps on giving.

20 minutes ago, phrunt said:

how that little spot of track just keeps on giving.

they say the goose laid golden eggs, so maybe the sheep there are pooping golden nuggets lol

• Haha 1