Another Great Hunt For Older Coins

About a week ago I had another great hunt for older coins with my Equinox 800. I don't often go to areas with the chance of finding older coins so this was a real treat.  Of course, finding older coins is very much a function of going to places where the older coins actually are there.  Found 1941s, 1952d,1941s, 1910, and 1953 wheat pennies. The 1953 on the far left in the photo had been made into a button.  Pretty neat.  Also, found 1956d rosie, 1935 and 1924s Mercury dimes in nice condition. Also, found 2 ea Mexico 1946 10 Centavos and 1 ea Mexico 1945 10 Centavos.  Hunted in my normal Park 1 with Recovery speed upped to 6, iron bias down to 1, and sensitivity 18-20 depending on conditions.  Really getting to like the Equinox after a beginning with a strong learning curve after having used another detector (Whites XLT) for 14 years.  

IMG_6603.JPG

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Walter S. Fowler said:

Of course, finding older coins is very much a function of going to places where the older coins actually are....

How true, but often a difficult task due to previous searchers, access to virgin sites, etc.

You're doing something right, and likely more that just one thing.  Three silver dimes in one hunt is nothing to ignore in 2018, when the time since they were dropped increases, the number of unsearched sites decreases, and the competition (in terms of ability to recover thanks to improved technology) is clearly on the rise.

Whatever you're doing, don't stop!

P.S. Your settings are very similar to my defaults in all four aspects:  Park 1 mode, gain 18-20, low iron bias, and recovery speed of 6.  And I suspect your mineralization is worse than mine.  Only my recovery success is different (lagging yours ?).