I don't know if I'm right on this but I've found my Teknetics T2 to be a good guide to mineralisation at an area, I use its Fe3O4 meter as a guide.

Would I be right in using that as a guide?

• Like 1

On 8/6/2018 at 12:52 PM, phrunt said:

I don't know if I'm right on this but I've found my Teknetics T2 to be a good guide to mineralisation at an area, I use its Fe3O4 meter as a guide.

Well, all I can say is other than putting some kind of number out here for comparison purposes I have never found an Fe3O4 meter to make any difference in how I tune and use a detector. I listen to how my detector reads the ground and tune appropriately. I did this for decades before there was such a thing as a Fe3O4 meter and when they showed up my habits did not change. I find them extraneous to the way I work and basically don’t pay attention to them. I would rather the Gold Bug Pro or G2 show a large target id while in all metal mode and lose the little “speedometer arc”.

The Fe3O4 meter started in the White’s GMT (a Dave Johnson design), and is now featured in many Fisher and Teknetics models that Dave had a hand in like the T2, F75, Gold Bug Pro, G2, etc. Nokta and Makro have similar meters on many models, as do others.

The following link goes into the meter in great detail....

GB Numbers = Mineralization?

This function has been promoted as a “follow the black sand” feature but I personally believe the usefulness for tracing black sands is minimal. The effect is so limited to surface readings I find my eyeballs to be the better tool for deciding where to pan for gold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/6/2018 at 3:52 PM, phrunt said:

Hi Simon… you are quite right that the Fe3O4 feature is useful to evaluate soil ferromagnetic mineralization. Use the Fe3O4 readout in conjunction with the GB readout for a more complete evaluation of what general type and strength of soil minerals exist beneath the coil.

I also agree with Steve insofar as the Fe3O4 readout has never influenced my ground balance procedure either. But it does help newcomers to the hobby, some otherwise may never grasp the fundamentals of evaluating ground mineral effects that experienced hobbyists have employed for decades prior to the introduction of the Fe3O4 (and GB) readouts.  

These readouts can offer newcomers some confidence in selecting suitable coils to search tougher mineralizations. Such ferromagnetics are more easily handled by using DD coils and smaller coils, or both. However as an aside, I see little or no difference between concentrics vs DD with my smaller 6” elliptical coil configurations. The smaller coils also permit using higher sensitivity / gain adjustments compared to larger coils when detecting over tougher ground minerals.

Steve’s example to illustrate ground effects on ground balance adjustment is excellent. You will find that as the strength of ferromagnetics increases, there will be less latitude available in coil height movement in order to keep the coil ground-balanced when compared to light / moderate ferromagnetic strength soils. You will observe that the coil can be raised and lowered to a greater extent over lighter ferromagnetic strength soils before losing proper ground balance.

Or viewing it another way Simon, there will be less latitude in the GB control adjustment to keep the coil properly ground-balanced to tough ferromagnetics, whereas there is more leeway in the GB control adjustment over lighter magnetic susceptible mineralizations. 

This discussion should help to emphasize the importance we so often reiterate on the forums about the need for suitable coil selection, for proper coil control, and  to suitably adjust the sensitivity / gain control, especially when ground-balancing to and searching tougher ground mineralizations.

Jim.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Jim Hemmingway said:

Hi Simon… you are quite right that the Fe3O4 feature is useful to evaluate soil ferromagnetic mineralization. Use the Fe3O4 readout in conjunction with the GB readout for a more complete evaluation of what general type and strength of soil minerals exist beneath the coil.

Thanks Jim, I very much appreciate your detailed reply and the time you took to author that for me, I learnt quite a bit from it.

I have tried to use my Gold Bug Pro's Fe3O4 meter to follow a black sand layer to assist me in getting good gravels for my sluice and it appeared to work, I have no way to really know however following the high readings on the meter I had a very good day 🙂

What I understand from the discussion is it has no benefit in the ground balance process other than letting you know the possible difficulties you may have balancing in the first place which then may help you decide on what coil to use or explain why you're having trouble getting a good balance in the first place.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jim Hemmingway said:

Steve’s example to illustrate ground effects on ground balance adjustment is excellent.

This thread originated elsewhere but deserved its own thread. Here is the post Jim references above....

The combination of ground balance control and sensitivity control tells you if found is mild, moderate, or severe. If you can run the ground balance control to both extremes while at maximum sensitivity and the detector does not react to the ground when bouncing the coil over the ground, you have low mineral ground.

If the ground does react but easily ground balances to a stable setting while at maximum sensitivity you have moderate ground.

If you can't get a decent ground balance at max sensitivity then you must lower the sensitivity until the machine becomes stable enough to get a good ground balance. The lower you have to go, the more extreme your ground is.

What is considered low or high mineral ground is relative to the detector. A PI may be just fine in ground that drives a Gold Bug 2 nuts.

I don't tell my detectors what to do. My detectors tell me what to do. You need time and experience to learn how to hear what they are telling you. In simple terms, if any detector is extremely erratic, the machine is yelling at you saying "lower the sensitivity/gain". The assumption there is that the detector is working properly, there is no electrical interference, and it is ground balanced as well as can be.

• Like 2

The FE304 meter is invaluable.   I'll post more when I have time sometime this week.

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've always liked the fact that many of Dave Johnson's detector designs have ground mineralization, and Fe304 readouts.

As Steve points out, experienced folks in nugget country know from visual references of the ground itself, and machine fluctuations,  just what adjustments to make without any meters.

I often hunt freshwater beaches for jewelry, where black sand is not your friend.  Pockets of black sand (magnetite) can often be just below the surface of the normal beach sand, not visible.  Depending on it's density, it can make a detector nearly unusable, to slightly less effective, and anywhere in-between. Having the Fe304 meter in those situations as a quick reference can give an immediate indication of potential loss of the detectors effectiveness, and why.  Same with the ground mineralization meter.  Some areas can have widely fluctuating amounts of mineralization which change the machines effectiveness, and require adjustment, or just plain avoiding that area.  Having that knowledge can be helpful.

I once read a post on another forum in which the gentleman was using a fixed ground balance machine.  In only a relatively short distance he seemed to experience a severe loss in depth.  He switched to a different machine with an adjustable GB and ground mineralization indicator, I believe it was a Tek Omega.  He was surprised to see how much difference there was in the ground mineralization in the short distance.  He quantified the depth loss at approx 50%.  Having that meter to reference was a helpful tool.

Sometimes having that knowledge in ground changes can make a big difference.  I'm happy with any edge I can get.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, EMField said:

I've always liked the fact that many of Dave Johnson's detector designs have ground mineralization, and Fe304 readouts.

I second that.  

How to say what I want to say without having to write a dissertation?   Ground balancing may null your detector's response to the ground mineral as a target, but ground balancing doesn't negate the "effects" of the mineral.   While design engineers employ filters to help with some of the effects, we are left to deal with the last effect on our own; when minerals push or pull the non-ferrous target response into the Fe response range. 

The FE304 measures the strength of the response of the ground minerals.   The higher the ground mineral strength, the greater its effect on the target signal, the more it pushes the target response up or pulls the target response down, or worse yet, even mask the target response completely.  

The FE304 meter tells you how to react to your detector's discrimination and identification methods.   When is the iron response not an iron response at all?   I've hunted sites where all the shallow quarters were iron tones.  The minerals were so high that they pushed the higher conductors over the top at very shallow depths.   The FE304 meter lets you clue into this phenomenon on purpose, rather than discovering it by accident.  The higher the FE304 graph results the more attention you pay to iron tones and your discrimination settings/patterns.   

The worst is when the ground masks the signal altogether.  I have hunted sites where I could lay a normal 3mm BB on the ground,  ground balance,  then swing over the BB and raise my sensitivity setting until the BB response broke up and then went away.   It was a 7.8 kHz unit in use, but still, the lesson is there....ground mineral strength affects us and the more we know about it the better we can hunt our treasures.  

Same hunting in salt.  The higher the reading, the more gold masking you will experience.  Its not just the ground balance null point you have to deal with it is also the strength of the mineral.

HH
Mike

• Like 7

Thanks for all the wonderful replies! very appreciated.

• Like 2

I think my favorite detector for providing the operator relevant information was the Fisher F5.

It's a general use detector at 7.8KHz, that does well on silver.

The display on that one has the current ground phase displayed in smaller numbers in one corner, and the current ground balance setting in the other.  All the operator has to do is keep the two readings as close as possible  through the maual GB setting, and you'll be assured of being in good ground balance.  Any changes in the ground phase, and it's constantly telling you so you can make the appropriate adjustment.  Great system!!

It has the the Fe304 meter also.  The Target ID is displayed in larger numbers right in the middle of the screen.

I always thought that model had a great layout and provided the operator important/useful info.

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      The latest issue of the ICMJ is out, and I have an article in it titled Selectable Frequency vs Multi Frequency Detectors. Those of you with a digital subscription can read it online.
      The ICMJ has a policy against mentioning brand names in articles so I wanted to post this as a supplement to the article.
      Most metal detectors run at a single frequency. Low frequencies, that is single digit frequencies under 10 kHz, react well to high conductive targets, like coins, or large items, even if those items are of low conductivity. If you look at this typical metal detector target scale below you will note that non-ferrous items read higher not just based on conductivity but size also.

Low frequency detectors also do not "light up" the ground or hot rocks as much as detectors operating at higher frequencies. Many do not even offer ground balance controls because a factory preset level works well enough for some uses. Low frequency machines under 10 khz therefore tend to be aimed at the coin detecting market. There are too many models to list but most people have heard of the 6.5 khz Garrett Ace 250 as a perfect example.
      High frequencies 30 khz and over have extreme sensitivity to low conductive and small items, but also struggle more with ground penetration and hot rocks. Their extreme sensitivity to tiny trash items like aluminum bits do not make them very practical for any detecting except gold prospecting. Machines 30 khz and higher tend to be dedicated prospecting machines. Examples would be the 48 khz White's GMT, 71 kHz Fisher Gold Bug 2, 56 kHz Makro Gold Racer, and 45 khz Minelab Gold Monster 1000.
      In 2002 White's introduced the White's MXT at 14 kHz, and it is a perfect example of how detectors running in the "teens" make excellent "do-it-all" detectors. Since then everyone and their brother has jumped on that bandwagon, and there are too many machines running in the 10 kHz - 20 khz region to mention. Prospectors in particular would recognize the 19 khz Fisher Gold Bug Pro, but few know it is also sold in slightly different versions as the Teknetics G2, Fisher F19, and Teknetics G2+, all 19 kHz detectors sold to the general coin and relic market. Garrett has the 15 kHz AT Pro and 18 khz AT Gold to name a couple more popular metal detectors.
      Well if low frequencies are good for coins and high frequencies good for gold, why not make machines that can do both? Or both at once?
      Selectable frequency refers to machines that can select from one of several possible frequencies, but analyze the signal from only one frequency at a time. These may also be referred to as switchable frequency detectors. Multiple or multi frequency detectors analyze the signal from two or more frequencies at once. In theory this multifrequency analysis can be done simultaneously or sequentially at a very high speed. The end resultant is the same - the results from two or more frequencies are compared to derive information that cannot be had by analyzing a single frequency alone.
      Multiple frequency detectors usually have a fundamental frequency, and then other "harmonic" or secondary frequencies they also use, but the power (amplitude) fades with distance from the primary frequency. From page 9 of Minelab's Metal Detecting Terminology:

You can find more information on harmonic frequencies at http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3359/en/ and here also.
      Coils normally must be wound specifically to make use of any given frequency or set of harmonic frequencies. A coil will usually work best at the given fundamental frequency making it difficult to get the best possible performance at all frequencies using one coil. The Minelab X-Terra series specifically requires a coil change to achieve a frequency change for this very reason. People who own them know 3 kHz coils weigh more than 18.75 kHz coils. Why? Because heavier windings are used at 3 khz for optimum performance at that frequency.
      Here is what is probably an incomplete list of selectable frequency detectors and year of release:
      1989 Minelab Eureka Ace Dual            8 kHz    19.5 kHz
      1993 Minelab XT 17000                6.4 kHz    32 kHz
      1994 Compass X-200                6 kHz    14 khz
      1997 Minelab XT 18000            6.4 kHz    20 kHz    60 kHz
      1999 Minelab Golden Hawk        6.4 kHz    20 kHz    60 kHz
      2002 Minelab Eureka Gold        6.4 kHz    20 kHz    60 kHz
      2005 Minelab X-TERRA 50                7.5 kHz    18.75 kHz
      2006 Minelab X-TERRA 70            3 kHz    7.5 kHz    18.75 kHz
      2009 Minelab X-TERRA 305            7.5 kHz    18.75 kHz
      2009 Minelab X-TERRA 505        3 kHz    7.5 kHz    18.75 kHz
      2009 Minelab X-TERRA 705        3 kHz    7.5 kHz    18.75 kHz
      2009 XP DEUS                  4 kHz     8 kHz     12 kHz     18 kHz
      2016 Rutus Alter 71        Variable 4 - 18 kHz
      2017 XP DEUS           Additional 14 kHz    30 khz    55 khz    80 khz options
      2017 Nokta Impact            5 kHz    14 kHz    20 kHz
      2017 Makro Multi Kruzer            5 kHz    14 kHz    19 kHz
      2018 Nokta Anfibio            5 kHz    14 kHz    20 kHz

Multiple frequency or multi frequency machines have become very confusing, as a lot of marketing material has focused on the number of frequencies transmitted. What really matters is what frequencies a detector receives, and how the information is compared and processed for results. Some commentary here. Many people look at the marketing material and assume that a machine processing multiple frequencies is somehow working across the board to deliver the best possible results at all frequencies. However, the two issues outlined above do apply. The machines are employing harmonic frequencies, and so cannot compete with a machine optimized at a single frequency as opposed to one of the distant harmonics running at less amplitude. Second, making one coil run perfectly at all frequencies is extremely difficult, again giving the dedicated machine an edge.
      I highly recommend people not go down the technical rabbit hole but instead focus on what the machines do, on how they act. Two things are very apparent.
      First, the big market for a long time was coin detectors, and the goal always was to identify coins as deep as possible while ignoring trash as well as possible. Processing two or more frequencies simultaneously gives the detector engineer more information to work with. All the focus was on developing great coin detectors and guess what, the multi frequency machines for all intents and purposes act just like very good lower frequency coin detecting machines. Good ground rejection, and great discrimination on coins for as deep as it can be achieved. The multi frequency machines don't really go deeper than single frequency coin detectors, they just do a better job delivering clean discrimination results to depth.
      Here is a list of introductory models of multi frequency detectors and year of introduction. I am not listing all the derivative models to reduce clutter. I will post that later. 
      1991 Fisher CZ-6            5 & 15 kHz
      1991 Minelab Sovereign            BBS
      1999 Minelab Explorer S/XS        FBS
      2001 White's DFX            3 kHz & 15 kHz (Simulates single frequency by ignoring half the dual frequency signal)
      2012 Minelab CTX 3030            FBS2

Second, single frequency detectors have a ground balance problem. They can ground balance to mineralized soil, OR they can ground balance to salt water. Multi frequency machines can reduce signals from both mineralized beaches and salt water simultaneously, making them ideal for saltwater use.
      1993 Minelab Excalibur   BBS (Sovereign in waterproof housing)
      1995 Fisher CZ-20             5 & 15 kHz (CZ-6 in waterproof housing)
      2001 White's Beach Hunter ID   3 & 15 kHz (DFX in waterproof housing)

There is a third class of machine that can run either as selectable frequency OR multi frequency detectors. Quite rare at this time. 
      2009 White's Spectra Vision   2.5 Khz or 7.5 kHz or 22.5 kHz or all three at once
      2018 Minelab Equinox   5 kHz or 10 kHz or 15 kHz or 20 kHz or 40 kHz plus multi frequency options

In my opinion multi frequency has delivered well on its promise. The Minelab BBS and FBS machines are renowned for their ability to discriminate trash and detect coins due to their sophisticated processing. Again, focus on what they do. Not even Minelab in their marketing tells anyone these are prospecting detectors. Second, the Fisher CZ-20/21 and various Minelab Excalibur models are without a doubt the most popular and successful non-PI saltwater beach detectors made.
      I have a DFX and I think it is a fantastic jewelry machine in particular. A good coin machine but lacks a bit of punch. The Vision/V3i upped the ante but while amazing on paper suffers from interface overload. The Minelab units are simple by comparison and a lesson on how people in general just want the detector to get the job done. Feature overload is not a plus. However, I think White's has the right idea. The ability to run either separate frequencies or multiple frequencies at once is very compelling. I just think nobody has really done it right yet in a properly configured package. The V3i has the ingredients, but needs to be stuffed in something like an MX Sport with a simplified interface and improved ground balance system. It really never did beat the MXT in some ways and many people when "upgrading" to the V3i end up going back to the MXT.
      Selectable frequency has yet to really deliver on its promise in my opinion. So far it has been difficult to produce a selectable frequency machine that truly performs at all frequencies on par with a dedicated single frequency machine. The Minelab Eureka Gold at 60 kHz just never gets mentioned in the same breath as the White's Goldmasters/GMT or Fisher Gold Bug 2. Also, most selectable frequency machines in the past have been very feature limited prospecting machines, restricting their overall market appeal. 
      I personally think we have seen enough variations of single frequency detectors. I do not believe much can be done to exceed the performance of the dedicated single frequency VLF type machines we currently have. What can obviously be done is a better job of packaging machines that deliver true punch at different frequencies, or multi frequency machines that bring across the board performance closer to what is expected of PI detectors. I do think we are seeing this happen now. The new Nokta Impact and the new DEUS V4 update are expanding the available options in selectable frequency in more usable packages. The Minelab GPZ and other hybrid platforms blur the line between what is traditionally considered PI and VLF and simply need the addition of discrimination to go to the next level. There is still a lot of potential to deliver machines that might reduce the number of machines many of us feel compelled to own by delivering more across the board performance in a single machine that would now take several detectors. Exciting days ahead.
      For those who want to try and get their head around selectable frequency and multi frequency technology, Minelab and White's have a gold mine of information in a few of their references. Dig into the following for some great explanations and diagrams.
      Minelab - Metal Detector Basics and Theory
      Minelab - Understanding Your X-Terra
      White's - Spectra V3i Owners Guide
      White's - V3i Advanced Users Guide
      Better yet are the last three parts of the DFX instructional video by White's featuring engineer Mark Rowan explaining frequency and multi frequency methods:

• By Steve Herschbach
      Steve's Law of Target Depletion - All good locations with high value targets will be detected with progressively aggressive means until no metal can be found. When any location contains items of great perceived value, detector technology will normally be applied in reverse order of aggressiveness. First will be VLF discrimination "cherry picking". This will be followed by varying degrees of "turning down the discrimination" to dig iffy targets and by using the barest of ferrous/non-ferrous discrimination. This will finally be followed by "all metal" detecting to remove masking effects by either VLF or PI detectors. If the location is considered good enough all targets will eventually over time be completely removed until no detector is able to acquire a target. At this point a site may be considered "hunted out" until a new technology arrives allowing for more depth or ground separation capability, when a few more remaining metal items will be removed. The key concept is that since discrimination is unreliable, all metal items must be removed from high value locations in order to rest assured nothing has been overlooked.

Nugget hunters and beach hunters get right with the program. If a nugget "patch" is located it will be relentlessly pounded until no metal remains. Beaches survive by being a renewable resource. Good relic locations can and will be subjected to the same attention given to nugget patches. The rule is that as long as you can find a piece of metal hope remains that good items can be found. If not you, somebody else can and will return until no metal remains. I have promoted PI detectors for all uses for this very reason for over 10 years now - see that last few paragraphs at www.losttreasure.com from 2005.
      Most people consider depth to be problem number one, but for many areas target masking is by far the more serious issue. Until detectors can actually see through trash instead of blocking it out, even the smallest surface trash can and will block deeper adjacent items from being detected. Superb discrimination only gets you so far and ultimately the only solution is to remove the surface trash to see what lurks below. The only real limitation we face in this regard is in areas sensitive to digging holes of any sort, like a well groomed park. Even there, slow careful extraction of surface trash over time can reveal old coins missed by others for decades.
      Beneath The Mask by Thomas Dankowski
    • By nugget hunter
      any thoughts on the use of a geiger counter instead of a metal detector for prospecting ....U , TH , TE , IN , RB , RE , PT
    • By ☠ Cipher
      Apparently there's a hidden analysis screen in the FBS machines that lead one to a spectrograph of sorts. Much like the V3i which has features hidden away from the end user, supposedly the analysis screen can be accessed via a button sequence that is yet to be discovered. 
      http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=1912446
      If you read through the thread, I'm iDetectorX in the last post. If this is a spectrograph it does tend to confirm what Geotech has been telling us all along, that FBS is actually a 2 frequency system in terms of what is actually demodulated and processed, which would be a better explanation in my view as to why it never made it to the end user. In any event, I think it would be an interesting challenge to try to access these hidden item. I'm actually in the process now of doing some experiments with 2 V3s and a V3i, but FBS machines interest me as well.
      ....ah, forbidden fruit.
    • By nugget hunter
      can anyone  give me a idea on what ratio or scale  there is between different metals and depth with the same detector ....say  made out of  6 different metals ...  US nickel  size coins    .... silver , gold , alum , nickel , platinum ,steel and stainless steel ......
    • By Steve Herschbach
      The World's First Smart Detector & Imaging System that can display the shape, depth and dimensions of underground metals in real time. Ideal for Deep Treasure Hunters, Archaeologists, Municipalities, Utility Companies, CSI and Law Enforcement Agencies.
      http://noktadetectors.com/invenio-metal-detector.asp