Makro Gold Kruzer, The Gold Monster Or ...

Hi, I am looking to purchase a gold finding metal detector that can handle mineralized soil well, but also locates smaller gold.   I live in southern Nevada and it seems that the more I read, the more confused I am getting.  I guess I'm looking for a detector that does well with tiny and larger gold.  I had the Gold Bug 2 for a while and it was way too sensitive for me and not rain-proof.  The Makro Gold Kruzer,  The Gold Monster and others on that level are all within my price range, so I am having trouble making a decision.  I understand that the right detector for someone may not be the right detector for someone else, but I do believe the right input is valuable.   I haven't seen any head to head videos using the Gold Kruzer yet (still too new) but it looks promising so far.  The reviews of these detectors are great, but nothing beats real world testing under various conditions and soil types.   I am not one for air testing due to it's controlled nature,  so the confusion grows.   I know many of these detectors can locate tiny gold due to their higher kHz, but there is a trade off.   I appreciate any suggestions.  Thank you, Mike  

43 minutes ago, MikeM said:

it was way too sensitive for me

Welcome to the forum!

So do you want a high frequency VLF that is hot on small gold or do you not? “Too sensitive” is the name of the game. From my perspective all over 30 kHz units are roughly equivalent and all are edgy machines. I can find gold about as well with any of them. If you are looking for head to head testing that proves any one of them to be significantly better than the others - good luck with that. Whether it is a twenty year old Gold Bug 2 or the latest hot new machine, dealing with ground issues, hot rocks, and chatter is just the way it is. None of them is a magic bullet.

Once I get my hands on the new Goldmaster 24K I am thinking this flood of new high frequency nugget detectors will pause for some time. That being the case I am going to do a more in depth critical comparison of all the models then I have ever attempted before. But that will be more towards the end of the year as I need time to round up a 24K and get good with it first.

Covers make them all rain proof but if you think that the detector itself being rainproof is important than the Gold Kruzer and Gold Monster do have that. The Monster can be run totally automatic and can run silent if you want to give up that noisy edge. Though so can the Gold Bug 2 for that matter if tuned properly. The Gold Kruzer has far more control options and is more kin to the Gold Bug 2 than the Gold Monster.

I found I liked the Gold Monster more than I thought I would given the lack of control options. However, my own personal tastes are for detectors with more control, not less, so units like the Gold Kruzer ultimately appeal more to me.

If ground balancing and hot rocks trouble you, and price is no object, the Minelab SDC 2300 is a great PI option.

Related thread Which Nugget Detector?

• Like 5

I am very fond of my Makro gold racer and still have it to date. Matter of fact, I carry it with me while using my gpz 7000. It is helping me learn the sounds the gpz 7000 makes on ground and target. The gold kruz is an upgrade of this detector. A true upgrade, slight upgrades but important ones. I think it is a great intro unit for a multitude of grounds. I had the Monster and didn't like it all that much, for my own reasons. That does not mean it is a bad unit. It simple did not fit what I wanted from a detector in that range. Plus Makro has more coil options that might be important to you over time. Each to their own, fits detector selecting to a tee.

Good luck.

On 8/9/2018 at 2:07 AM, MikeM said:

Hi, I am looking to purchase a gold finding metal detector that can handle mineralized soil well, but also locates smaller gold.   I live in southern Nevada and it seems that the more I read, the more confused I am getting.  I guess I'm looking for a detector that does well with tiny and larger gold.  I had the Gold Bug 2 for a while and it was way too sensitive for me and not rain-proof.  The Makro Gold Kruzer,  The Gold Monster and others on that level are all within my price range, so I am having trouble making a decision.  I understand that the right detector for someone may not be the right detector for someone else, but I do believe the right input is valuable.   I haven't seen any head to head videos using the Gold Kruzer yet (still too new) but it looks promising so far.  The reviews of these detectors are great, but nothing beats real world testing under various conditions and soil types.   I am not one for air testing due to it's controlled nature,  so the confusion grows.   I know many of these detectors can locate tiny gold due to their higher kHz, but there is a trade off.   I appreciate any suggestions.  Thank you, Mike  

Hi MikeM

All I can say is read plenty of information and watch plenty of videos, I’d also suggest to join the Facebook groups to the particular detector’s your looking at as then you can see real results and ask questions and talk to people who actually use them! The Facebook groups are fantastic for this reason alone!.

I’d perhaps just hold off a little and see some results from the Whites GM24K as from everything I’m reading and watching it looks like it may be quite a good detector!.

And most of all ask if there are any known problems or issues with each detector I can’t Stress this enough!!. 

There are lots of detector’s out there and they all have there Pro’s and Con’s so please find out what they are before buying one as some may have known Issues with them!!, I’ve owned a few and have personally seen this and are known but most of the users who know detector’s and how they should operate correctly, and this isn’t just my personal experience but many.

If you’d like more information on that point alone feel free to PM me.

Good luck with the search.

Thank you Bhogg.   I see you use the SDC 2300.  Steve mentioned that one to me.  Just started looking at it.   Whites TDI SL Special Edition also caught my eye, but not a lot on it yet.   I wonder if the upgrade really made it that much better.    I do appreciate your input.   Thank you, Mike

• 2 weeks later...

You say that the GB II being too sensitive, No offense meant but this is where the skill of the user comes in to play As in not being scared to turn down the Gain, Any of these High KHZ machines can be classed as "Too Sensitive", Most folks just want to run them maxed out to get the depth out of them, From what you are describing I would say that it might be helpful for you to practice running the GB II at a reduced gain just to get an Idea just what exactly is possible from running these machines at reduced settings, But because it is a VLF/LF people tend to push them too hard.

The thing is a VLF will loose a lot less depth than most people Imagine by running a reduced gain setting but the benefit of running them this way has many positive benefits, 1) it will stop the machine getting over loaded with signals, 2) It will help with ID'ing targets between the junk, 3) It will cut down Ground Noise and help the machine Ground Balance better allowing it to run smoother. and the list goes on.

I would go as far as to say that in most cases that these machines are "Not" sensitive enough, I would rather have the GB II with the ability to be able to run so hot and have the option to back it off or reduce the gain than be out in the field with nothing in reserve. And just because at times we can run these machine up in the boost zone does not always make it the right thing to do,

Most people practice with their Machines running close to MAX settings or above but not many folks if at all practice running their machines at reduced settings Which leads people to live in fear of having to turn down their Gain,

hope that helps,

John. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, MikeM said:

Thanks John.  It's beginning to make sense now.  

Good Mike I am pleased,

having a Hi Gain machine is great for showing people party tricks like how hot a lower KHz is and how smaller bits/nuggets they can see, But out in the field having to lower the Gain on a lower KHz machine allows the machine to run in Hot ground albeit at the cost of finding those Tiny Nuggets, but allowing the larger ones to come through.

Switch to a Hi KHz machine in the same hot ground as the machine above and you may have to drop the Gain a little more for it to run smooth and but due to the higher frequencies these machines can see the same targets using less power/Gain but without the depth loss,

As to which is best for the task at hand ( Hi/Low ) frequency, Low is good for the hotter ground and larger targets, But on the other hand High frequency machines are better for finding the small stuff when running at a reduced gain, Throw in Multi-frequency machines with a blend/choice of Hi/Low frequencies and the options are even greater.

If you end up using a single high or low frequency machine don't just try it out at it's higher settings because even most Coin machines will surprize you just how tiny a Nugget they can see when maxed out, Instead throw on a smallish coil and try running it between 6.5 to 8.5 on the GMT or any other machine with a  0 -10 scale or on the MXT from 8 to 10.5ish, These are typical Gain numbers which are used out in the field and remember don't get too heavy handed when using the S.A.T./V-SAT/ Isat depending on which brand you are using, The Gain and the V-SAT  are just like Salt and Pepper, Just the right amount can make a Steak Perfect, Add too much and the whole thing is ruined, It's not rocket science so don't worry, Find a starting point and your set for life.

good luck, hope that helps.

John.   

• Like 1