Storing And Displaying Our Finds

Andy2640

Hi Ya'll

Well im now building up a huge collection of various finds.   Ive got so many British 1800 and 1900 pennies, half pennies and farthings that i dont know what to do with them all.  But also some really nice silver sixpences, half crowns, florins and other nice silver coins.  Other items are rings x2, musket balls, badges and roman/medievil weights.

Question is, how do you lovely buggers store your finds?  Be it coin cabinets, display cases or just sprawled over your desk.  Do you lot keep only the best coins for display, or show everything you find?  See im not sure whether to display only the cream of the crop, or enjoy everything, both the good, the bad and the down right ugly.

Would love to see your collection displays, coin trays, etc and your thoughts on finds which meet either the ... "keep/throw/stash or display criteria".  Hopefully you'll give me and others some ideas ...and of course inspiration ?

Cheers peeps.

Andy.

I think I would display them all but in categories. Maybe good to fine condition so one could see what the different conditions of the coin would look like. Or the differences in their monetary values and years produced.

i like the lit, standing cabinet the best followed with several matching table tray displays.

i would not however, display any of the junk.

Best of luck Andy!

• Thanks 1

Anything of true value like my gold is in the safe deposit box. Other stuff just in boxes. I never display items except in photos and so eventually I do sell the valuable items. I am not much into "stuff" - it's the chase and making the find that appeals to me. That being the case I'd rather put money in the bank for a vacation than store things in boxes where it will never be seen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Anything of true value like my gold is in the safe deposit box. Other stuff just in boxes. I never display items except in photos and so eventually I do sell the valuable items. I am not much into "stuff" - it's the chase and making the find that appeals to me. That being the case I'd rather put money in the bank for a vacation than store things in boxes where it will never be seen.

I have a friend who has detected for years. I was at his house a while back and he was showing me the stuff he had saved. He said he was tired of looking at it and asked what I'd give him for it. I ended up buying it from him. I have finds that I'll give to the kids or grandkids someday but I probably do have a lot of stuff that I would sell..... hmmm... maybe.. lol. 

Steve,  if my wife would ever happen to read your post I'm pretty sure she would start planning a vacation for us right away. ?

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies guys.  Each of you has their own style and preferences, and it has extended my possibilities, so thank you all.

NSC ....   That cabinet is awesome buddy!  Loving that.

I think ill get a coin folder instead of a cabinet until I get "lots" of nice high value coins.  (One can hope)

Steve H and Alluminati...   Im leaning towards your "selling off" idea in regards to rings and jewellery, and collect and folder the coins I would like to collect and keep ? .  And to Tometusns I like the idea of passing on my nice coins/certain finds to future "little Andy's" LOL.

To Beach hunter.  Yes indeedy, my coins will be organised according to date, Condition, type and metallurgy etc.  Nice1.

And to Phrunt ....  Indeed, I have a bolt down safe that will hold "said gold/Jewellery" untill ready for sale.

Input massively appreciated.  Thanks kindly my detecting friends.

Andy.

The glass top coffee table is a good suggestion.  Just saw a recent build commencement on Prospecting Australia.  Page 76, post 1881.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1736&p=76

• Like 1

Hi Northeast

Nice link.  Very creative that table.  

Cheers!

Andy.

• Thanks 1