Hi From The UK

RickUK

Hi Folks,just a quick introduction,i think its fair to say that i am Rick from the UK :D

Been detecting for artifacts,coins for many a long year,although we dont in theory gold nugget hunt,we do find some stunning Gold items as a result of our history going back 1000s of years.

Have been lucky in the fact that have found Celtic Gold staters from 55BC and other gold items over the years and also working on 2 hoard sites at the moment.

Currently using a CrossBow Pulse machine with 5 coils from 5'' upto 18'' as this in theory covers most scenarios,i also have a wide selection of VLF machines and the coils that go with them as well.

As a result of the new kid on the block ie the GPZ 7000 detector the price of the current GPX detectors are dropping like a brick,so with that in mind within the next month or so i will be the new owner of one of these top flight detectors,not for nugget hunting of course but for deep work mainly locating gold/silver hoards as these machines are ideally suited for the job as not only do they go deep they are also very good on locating single coins as well.

Looking forward to posting some of my finds and also some of my detecting adventures from the UK.

Rick

• Like 1

Rick,

You are right about a 5000 and relics.  I used a 5000 on the beach for many months before getting a discriminating detector.  The pulse beach machines are very effective if you want to dig everything.

If you have some deep history you are in luck with the price of these used machines as some of your deep objects are man made and larger than gold flakes.

Mitchel

Hi Rick,

I have a GPX 4800 that I use for coin and relics and with practice you can leave most of the iron in the ground.  Discing out large pieces of iron is easier than a VLF!  So if you can get a cheap used GPX (or any GP for that matter) go for it.  I think the GPZ offers no advantage for us, in fact it has disadvantages in that it has no disc and will be even more sensative to small bits (I mean tiny) which a coin and relic hunter doesnt need.

Hi Rick,

I have a GPX 4800 that I use for coin and relics and with practice you can leave most of the iron in the ground.  Discing out large pieces of iron is easier than a VLF!  So if you can get a cheap used GPX (or any GP for that matter) go for it.  I think the GPZ offers no advantage for us, in fact it has disadvantages in that it has no disc and will be even more sensative to small bits (I mean tiny) which a coin and relic hunter doesnt need.

Euro,as i understand it the GPX only works with the discrimination circuit if you use the DD coils on it,of course i am only mentioning this as from what i have read about it.

Its intresting you have mentioned about the GPX4800 as i can get a brand new one for the same price as a 2nd hand 5K the main reason is that its old stock and folks think its not as good as the newer version.

Of course as i wont be using it for nugget hunting and just for Relic/Hoard hunting then having the extra fine timings is not a issue for me.

Must admit its very tempting to hit the 'Buy Button' this weekend,but i always do alot of homework 1st prior to buying any detector,out of interest 'euro' what coil do you use on the GPX when digging for relic hunting ??? do you use the stock coil or another larger one.

Once again many thanks for the 'Welcome' its a very friendly forum,some forums you go on and after a while i wont go bacvk again as some of them get very 'clicky if that makes sense.

Rick

Hi Rick, I've had a 5000 as well, for me there is no difference - I dont need the fine gold timing.  As long as the source for the 4800 is ok, ie its reputable so youre not getting a fake then I would take the new 4800, what is the price?

Coils you are right only disc in DD format or the Coiltek AIs (very useful for getting under pylons).  I use the stock coil, 11" AI, 10x5 DD 18" DD, 11" mono and 18" x 12" mono.  I think the 11" stock coil is very versatile and a good starting point, but a larger coil is nice to have in special circumstance  :)

Hi Rick, I've had a 5000 as well, for me there is no difference - I dont need the fine gold timing.  As long as the source for the 4800 is ok, ie its reputable so youre not getting a fake then I would take the new 4800, what is the price?

Coils you are right only disc in DD format or the Coiltek AIs (very useful for getting under pylons).  I use the stock coil, 11" AI, 10x5 DD 18" DD, 11" mono and 18" x 12" mono.  I think the 11" stock coil is very versatile and a good starting point, but a larger coil is nice to have in special circumstance  :)

The 4800 is from one of the top dealers in the UK,its Crawfords so yes its a genuine machine,thanks for the information about the coils.

Almost certain it will be the 4800 as i cannot see any advantage to warrent the massive price increase that the 5K commands,especially when its only required for deep work and not ultra small nuggets.