What Detector Or Detectors Will You Use Most This Year?

My main plan this year is to put as many hours as possible on the GPZ 7000. That is definitely job one starting in April. I also will be using the Garrett ATX for in water beach detecting. The ATX will also be used with the 20" coil as an alternative to the GPZ in areas where I want more ground coverage than the GPZ 14 coil provides.

For hunting gold nuggets or coins in trashy locations I will be leaning on the Nokta FORS Gold and for in town jewelry detecting my White's V3i/Big Foot combo. For 2015 however it does look like the GPZ and ATX will be doing the heavy lifting.

What about you? What detector or detectors will you be counting on most for 2015?

Hi Steve

I will be heading to europe in 4 weeks for 6 to 8 weeks treasure hunting and will be using the gpx 4800, CTX and infinium as my treasure hunting weapons, as I have left them at my mother in-laws house in europe waiting for my return.

Should doo really well as I already found a good area and I just have to continue gridding.

Then as soon as I get back to Australia its straight back to our area we found last year and we'll continue following the auriferous fault that we were working last year.

I'll be using the GPZ 7000, GPX 5000, SDC 2300, gold bug 2 as my gold hunting weaponry and the CTX for coin hunts in the old diggers camps and for modern tailings oversize piles.

I'm really looking forward to the coming season and using some new tech its been a long time coming.

Interesting question,as no single detector/coil combination does it all,i tend to use about 5-6 detector combinations,some are old machines that excel on certain sites and others are newish machines.But i will try explain below on what machines i use and why i use them on specific sites.

On roman.saxon and celtic sites that have had alot of activity on them,this inturn will be very trashy sites with alot of say roman hob nails from boots,so to get in between the trash i tend to use a couple of old Tesoro machine with smaller coils,these machines maybe old but the discrimination is super and the small coil allows you to find the silver/gold hammered coins.

Fresh water rivers,ponds or infact any water course had been used by the roman and they use to throw coins/artifact to please the water gods called votive offering,so i tend to use a very old Minelab Musketeer on a very long straight shaft and wear the control box around my neck,also i use the very small coil as well as this reduces he drag from the river flow.The reason i use this combination is they are very good at what they do and by wearing the control box high up it gives you alot extra depth when in a shallowish river hunting for these roman coins.Also this combination is a great Mudlarking detector for on the River Thames foreshores.

For general everyday detecting i use a Deus,T2 and DFX with a wide selection of coils and these 3 are used for about 80% of my detecting need.

If i suspect a scattered hoard is in the area,usually you start finding coins/artifacts in a tight radius and usually as man is going down deeper with more powerful tractors they are taking the tops of the hoard pots and scattering the coins,this then requires the heavy hitters to come out to play,i 1st use the Pulse with the stock 10'' coil on it then once i have taken as many coins wthat i can with that,then i progress with bigger coils till i get to the 18'' Coiltek coil.

Usually the Pulse will find me most of my deep targets,but if something i suspect is even deeper then i will bring out my Fisher TW-5 2 box to play and that will nail we hope the really deep targets.Although i must admit it rarely is used but like most things in the detecting world,its nice having the right tool for the job,no single golf club will do it all,its the same in the detecting world.

These are my main machines that i use and must admit i really enjoy using them and it works for me,of course if you are in say the Aussie outback or Alaska gold field then you would use different detectors and techniques.

GB2 and TDi for gold and modified Lobo  for coins and Headhunter Diver for swim areas, can't afford all them expensive high horsepower units...and 1.5 inch baby gold dredge for creeks. Need to sell my AT Pro, Pulsestar 2,TreasureMate pinpointer, and magnetometer this year  if anybody is interested?

-Tom V.

Well,just sold.the Deus so will be using the Tejon the most(unless I get and keep a Racer) since I relic hunt the most. For gold,gp extreme and gb pro....but am keeping a eye out for exceptional deal on gmt or gb2

From reading the above your choice to choose the right detector is like picking out the right fishing lure or which weapon to best suit the outing. All these sports/hobbies are similar which my garage spare space will account. I can only hope, that my detector choice for the days hunt is the right one for the type of gold that I intend to hunt. Is there a perfect all around detector...time will tell. Until the next hunt

LuckyLundy

I will be using my 'new-to-me' (10 mos. old)  ATX with stock coil for nugget shooting both on land and in water on exposed bedrock. I would buy and use the 5"X10" DD Infinium coil for my ATX for land use to lighten the package, but not sure if it can be submerged underwater since Garrett has a notice about it "not being suitable for underwater use" on their web page. Maybe I could completely coat (or dunk) it with a product called "Plasti-Dip" to make it waterproof (?) I don't intend to scuba with it, just use it underwater a couple of feet in a creek while keeping the ATX control box above water.

As well will probably take my fantastic vintage GB2 out to get the 'crumbs' the ATX misses. Ground here is moderately mineralized, with a few minor areas that are hot.

Beav

Being a relative newbie, I'm still using a TDI Pro and GMT. Once I've mastered those and have found enough gold to warrant an upgrade, then I will do so when that time comes. For me, it's all about finding new/old or undiscovered gold bearing areas that 99% of the modern day population don't have the means or the initiative to prospect. Once I find a few producing patches, the odds are stacked highly in my favor that I'll be the only one able to access those areas, thus never having to worry about somebody else coming along with the "latest and greatest" and trumping any of my finds.