phrunt

Help With Finding Lost Ring On Equinox

Disclaimer: I've only really been interested in Gold hunting so I'm pretty clueless in using my Nox for jewellery hunting.

This might be a challenging one, a farmer I knows wife lost her wedding ring in a paddock and didn't realise,  Later the same day they run a plough or some sort of farming gadget over the paddock as they planted it out with grass seed so the ring is likely buried.  They're pretty certain it was lost in this paddock.

I have been recruited to try find this ring, it's 24k gold with about 20 diamonds on it.  The guy originally gave me the wrong description of the ring, probably his ex-wife's ring he described as he said it had 1 diamond and sapphires 😄

The paddock is really junk filled, I went and swung my detector over it yesterday morning before skiing and there was iron I assume setting the detector off everywhere in all metal mode.

I know the VDI numbers are extremely useful for coin hunting but will they help for finding this ring, I really don't want to have to dig everything! Is there a range I should be targeting? I assume Field 1 will be the best mode or maybe Park 1 seeing there is a lot of junk?

Small gold when prospecting always comes up under 10 on the VDI's, I am guessing a ring will come up higher? 

Would the Equinox be my best choice or would I be better off using my T2 with Mars Tiger 10x13" or 15" round Stock T2 coil for more ground coverage? I also have a Garrett Euroace with Nel Tornado 12x13" I could use if that would be best.  That's the biggest coils I own.

I have a GPX 4500 with a 15x12 DD Commander I could use but I don't want to dig lots of junk and I was hoping VDI's would be useful.

I told them I'd do the hunt for nothing when they tried to pay me as it's a bit of fun for me anyway but they said they can't allow that and they'd give me a few sheep for my freezer for my efforts even if I don't find it but I'm sure if I find it they'll force me to take some sort of payment, I will try refuse as I really don't want it but it will be difficult to not take it when they're forcing it....

The paddock is about 3 hectares!!!!!  Just over 7 acres so I really have a job ahead of me.  The soil is extremely mild but it seems to have its share of junk.  I assume rusty old nails and tractor bits and mower blades whatever else over the years.

Any help appreciated.

That's a decent sized paddock, but you can still use can the 11" coil.  Try to methodically grid the area if you can.   If there is a lot of iron I would not use the larger T2 coils because even though you would get more ground coverage, you also will be getting all that iron under the coil.  Same with the GPX, you will just blank out on the iron anyway.  This is where the recovery speed of the Equinox will shine over those two detectors.  I would expect the ring to show up as low teens on the EQ.  Disc out the iron (no higher than 2 just to be sure)  set iron bias to 0 to avoid masking.  Suggest gold mode 1, Field 2 or Park 2.  If the ring is not considered to be buried TOO deep from the plow, go ahead and drop sensitivity down to 15 or so which will take the iron further out of the equation (even with disc - this is called "sifting").  If the iron is not THAT thick, and the ground coverage is just too tedious with the 11", I would go ahead and try the GPX, just set iron reject a little high so you know when you are swinging over iron junk and nails as the tone will break up and blank.  If there is a lot of brass or aluminum in the paddock though (like shotgun shells or brass horse tack) then I would go with the T2 or Equinox).  Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Chase! all good advice and pretty much answers all my questions... This mission is a bit daunting for me 🙂

I was meant to be going gold hunting today but since this popped up I'm going to take on this and do the gold prospecting tomorrow.   I guess either way I'm looking for gold and it's a good deed. 😄

• Like 1

It is a good deed, and fun!  Hope you snag it.  It's always fun to have an objective challenge and since you know what you are looking for, you can narrow down the settings more so than usual and eliminate falses even further.  For example, I would also consider eliminating anything greater than 20 because you are not looking for silver or other high conductors like copper (unless you want to do that too) and that might null high falsing big iron tones and nail heads.  Any chance you could recruit one of the landowners to join you with the T2 - would be pretty simple to set it up for them in JE mode?  They might have fun looking for it too and it might pop up faster.  I would join you for the hunt if I were down there, lol.  Good luck, Simon!

• Like 2

Thanks! I'd love for you to come along if it were possible 🙂, I will ask if he wants to join me with the T2, my wife might do it.. she's still asleep at 9am!!!!!!!!!!!!! so I can't ask her yet if she wants to but it's unlikely 🙂

I think I'll take that advice and disc out everything over 20 to speed things up.

phrunt grass seed is never planted deep, usually in the top 1/4"  at most so the ring should be shallow as well.  Might even be a sun baker.😎

TID depends on the alloy and size.  White gold and Platinum read low, combine that with the smaller size of most women's rings and it could easily be in the 6-7 TID range.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’d highly recommend getting a photo of the ring! High carat gold rings can read very high!

my only 22k rings both read over 20 but it’s entirely relevant the chunkiness!

i have a decent variety of sizes shapes which I can compare to but don’t disc out 20+ yet!

• Thanks 1

Another consideration is that it’s not 24k at all, 24k is super rare and definitely not good for holding diamonds.

Often people think that it’s either pure and solid or gold plated.

good luck!

• Like 2

Home for a lunch break! no luck so far, I ended up notching out anything above 30 just in case.  I'll try with nothing notched out in the high numbers, only leaving the low iron numbers notched out.  I've not dug too much junk so far but bottle caps are showing their heads.  It seems to only go crazy in all metal mode, in Field 2 it's going OK.

I will check with him if he's certain about the 24k, he's probably not, he doesn't really have much of an idea but said it cost him a fortune.  I wouldn't be surprised if he even knows what 24k means.  Back to it.

• Like 1

I think disc out anything below 7, highly unlikely it’ll be below 7 and yes it’s highly unlikely it’s above 30 

• Like 1