Wobbly Shaft Quick Fix - Equinox 600 / 800

Alluminati

On my Nox the lower rod had been a little bit loose, when it was new. Now it's gone the other way - the fine beach sand settled everywhere, and it's really tough to disassemble. You practically can't without scratching up the lower rod. Maybe I'll swap the two aluminium rods to one carbon rod at some point.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

My 800 had the loose shaft wobble problem. Minelab originally replaced the piece of shaft that was loose. This worked for about a year. Now it’s loose, again. Here’s a similar fix that I’ve done using a piece of high temperature duct tape. Cut a small piece just slightly narrower than the diameter of the tube and long enough to cover the inner surface of the locking pressure tab. Insert using a toothpick. Press flat with finger. The piece of duct tape is thicker and more durable than electrical tape. The high temperature adhesive should be more resistant to smearing or sliding. We shall see!

53512DBB-0F7F-4B8C-9CC0-F47FFDC70FAF.jpeg

E4CF159D-D14E-4BE0-8E77-7074C37FA858.jpeg

DD00A98C-3DF6-4BAF-BE70-941388864A6A.jpeg

• Like 4

Skookum,

I am trying your method with some Gorilla Tape.  I put it on the opposite side away from the clamp and it has removed the wobble that I have had from the beginning.  I first tried to put it 2/3 of the way around the inside and it was too thick and I had to make a smaller piece.

Thanks for posting the picture.  It is a simple fix.

Mitchel

• Like 1

It is working just fine.  I have no wobble when I interrogate a target.  Before you could always feel the weight shift and a wobble.

You provided a simple, effective fix that could have saved Minelab and people a lot of money in this past couple of years.

Mitchel

• Like 1

We should also replace the locking pin, this is single and inserted into a spring, it is not fixed to the spring, it tends to turn, the ideal would be a spring with two pins, a whole block, like those of Garrett. I made this change and the result is good.

I think many of us who received the early release of the Nox have had this problem, which Minelab service acknowledges.  I had the best success in solving the wobbly shaft problem by using aluminum tape that has a sticky adhesive on one side.  The “softer” tape materials loosened up after a while and the wobble came back.  The aluminum tape is used for taping furnace ducts or for “temporary” body work on cars and trucks.  I eventually ended up contacting Minelab (Jamie) and the early edition shaft parts were promptly replaced and the replacement parts don't wobble after a year of use.  I bought a carbon fiber shaft for use in saltwater.  I can't say enough about how great Minelab service in backing their products' warranty.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TedinVT said:

I think many of us who received the early release of the Nox have had this problem, which Minelab service acknowledges.  I had the best success in solving the wobbly shaft problem by using aluminum tape that has a sticky adhesive on one side.  The “softer” tape materials loosened up after a while and the wobble came back.  The aluminum tape is used for taping furnace ducts or for “temporary” body work on cars and trucks.  I eventually ended up contacting Minelab (Jamie) and the early edition shaft parts were promptly replaced and the replacement parts don't wobble after a year of use.  I bought a carbon fiber shaft for use in saltwater.  I can't say enough about how great Minelab service in backing their products' warranty.

Did you have to send your machine in, or did they just ship new parts out after explaining the issue?

I believe initially, they were having people ship their entire detectors in. Later on, they were just shipping particular parts of the shaft.  It sounds like some people have had luck with the replacement.

• Thanks 1