phrunt

GPS Mapping Software For Cell Phones

I am very prone to getting lost and it's hindered my gold detecting quite significantly so I've been trying to find a really good solution to my problem, I've tried various GPS mapping software but not found anything that really suited my possibly unique needs.  I'm planning a gold prospecting trip to a spot I've been before with Kiwijw a couple of times and had some pretty good success there, especially Kiwijw with his gold finds so I've been wanting to go back for some time but been a bit hesitant to go alone.

What I've been wanting is software that tracks my steps and lets me follow them back so I can make my way back to my car.

Today It appears I've found what I need, Alpine Quest for Android

http://www.alpinequest.net/

It has a feature "Track your path" which is perfect for me.  http://www.alpinequest.net/en/help/v2/tracker

It has a free trial so I plan to give it a shot and hope for the best.  If it works I'll be able to go anywhere knowing I'll find my way back..  I'll keep you updated.

• Haha 1

Honestly Simon....how could you possibly get lost in there? There is only one way in & one way out. That is the same way that you go in. You are a big boy now.....:biggrin:

JW :smile:

9 minutes ago, kiwijw said:

Honestly Simon....how could you possibly get lost in there? There is only one way in & one way out. That is the same way that you go in. You are a big boy now.....:biggrin:

It's probably more confidence than anything, remember how long it took me to drive to your place without my GPS lady directing me? ?

I can get lost in a supermarket ?

I've had a GPS since the day I got my first car, I had one of the first model GPS's in existence, it was a PDA unit with a GPS built in, people now probably don't even know what PDA's are! They've been long made redundant by mobile phones.

Rely on technology too long you don't know how to do things the good old fashioned way.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Rely on technology too long you don't know how to do things the good old fashioned way.

Ain't that the truth. Not a good thing really. Bit like the old analog ,manual ground balance detectors versus the computer chip microprocessor technology detectors of today. I believe people who cut there detecting teeth with the older detectors have a better understanding of the fine tuning operations of detectors.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kiwijw said:

Ain't that the truth. Not a good thing really. Bit like the old analog ,manual ground balance detectors versus the computer chip microprocessor technology detectors of today. I believe people who cut there detecting teeth with the older detectors have a better understanding of the fine tuning operations of detectors.

You're completely right, I take time to read an analog clock as I've had digital my entire life.   Maths is now nothing more than the job of a calculator... imagine the next generation! 

I've wanted a GB2 for some time now but I'm resisting buying one... 

It's like the new guys that fix computers, it's just swapping parts out now, it used to be fixing the parts, parts were far too expensive to replace.. A computer in the late 80's and early 90s was the cost of a decent car ?

I am getting old.... Soon I'll be telling my daughter back in my day I used to walk 10 miles in bare feet in the snow to get to school.....  ?

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

back in my day I used to walk 10 miles in bare feet in the snow to get to school.....  ?

Did you??

JW  

Phrunt have a look at this link Ozi Link the GPS program has been around since windows WIN 3 your suggestion seems to have the main features needed also. 

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

It's probably more confidence than anything, remember how long it took me to drive to your place without my GPS lady directing me? ?

I can get lost in a supermarket ?

I've had a GPS since the day I got my first car, I had one of the first model GPS's in existence, it was a PDA unit with a GPS built in, people now probably don't even know what PDA's are! They've been long made redundant by mobile phones.

Doesn't the ZED have an onboard GPS system like the CTX 3030?

A lot Cheaper to just carry a big ball of string or a big bag of bread crumbs.

I'd go with the string, the bread crumbs don't work so well if there's hungry birds around. ?

• Haha 1

On a serious note simon, there's some simple and inexpensive alteranatives to a phone App.

One would be something like the Bushnell Backtrack.  It's a GPS system that you can use to set your starting point, say at your vehicle or trailhead.  You can "backtrack" to the starting point and it gives you distance and direction to your starting point. You can store 3 different locations I believe.  It's about the size/shape of a pocket watch, has an electronic compass also, and has a lanyard to hang around your neck for easy access.

Honestly, I think the best way to avoid getting lost in unfamiliar territory is the simple compass.  It requires no batteries, satellite access can't be blocked by tree canopies, and they can be purchesed cheaply.  No electronics to interfere with you detector either.

• Like 1