Sign in to follow this  
Ridge Runner

Why Are Some DD Coils As Big As Hula Hoops?

Lots of detector companies have stop making big round DD coils but others still putting out a large round one.

What I’m wondering if the large round DD coil is better than a slim DD with less weight?

I know swinging my 6x10 DD on my Sport is less effort than the stock DD that comes with it.

I could understand if we were talking about a concentric coil being larger for more depth.

Please enlighten me someone!

Chuck

In a nutshell...Bigger the coil = deeper detection depth but then the item detected needs to be bigger as well. l Dont think there are too many big lunker nuggets around now that warrant swinging a large coil these days. Unless in a known area for big nuggets & the area is suitable for swinging a large coil. But then what do you call big, 14" 16" 18" 22" or 25 inches?, & what do you call deep?

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

JW

If it’s a concentric coil the bigger well give you more depth.

The stock coil on my Sport is 10 “ round and the other is 10” but it’s 6x10” with both a DD. I’m talking about DD coils only and most now is a slim DD. The length can be whatever you want but the width is somewhat less than the other.

What’s the difference if any between the two other than weigh.

Chuck

The coil with the larger surface area generally gets more depth, all other factors being equal. Both length and width matter, not just length as you seem to be implying. A round 10” DD is normally going to get more depth than a 6” x 10” DD.

Tech notes - About Searchcoils by Dave Johnson and Coil Basics by Carl Moreland

Steve

I thank you for your reply. It looks as if I something to read to help me understand the workings of a coil better .

Chuck

5 hours ago, kiwijw said:

In a nutshell...Bigger the coil = deeper detection depth but then the item detected needs to be bigger as well. l Dont think there are too many big lunker nuggets around now that warrant swinging a large coil these days. Unless in a known area for big nuggets & the area is suitable for swinging a large coil. But then what do you call big, 14" 16" 18" 22" or 25 inches?, & what do you call deep?

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

All the little specks are gone now that JW has a 6 inch coil 😢

• Haha 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Nokta Detectors
      Hello all..... some of you guys have been asking for 9'' and 13'' coils for the Kruzer...it is done.... we have developed these and will start shipping them at the same time with the Anfibio series.
      Both coils are compatible with the Anfibio and Kruzers. 
      Thank you!

Search coils for the Makro Kruzer and Nokta Anfibio metal detectors (excluding Gold Kruzer)
    • By davidh
      We recieved the 15's from Crawfords in the UK . Who kindly sent mine with Randy's together for Saturday delivery .Thank you the Crawfords crew you made this hunt possible .
      Kev my son with his sooty and sweep went out with Randy Dee on a permission that has been well detected in the last few years .
      And producing Roman coins and artifacts . Randy and my self where armed with the new 15 inch coil . I was in field1, AM ,5T,BIAS 4,RECOVERY 2 . I usually set at 20 but due to the nature of the field iron infested . I settled with 17 with the 15 . It worked great . As we progressed I meet up with Randy mid morning (fund out ) Bloody hell the whyly fox had 8 romans .His comment was THIS A CRACKING COIL. Coming from Randy that a great complement as he has 40 ++ years detecting and has had the machines . I had 2 ???? I was detecting back to the car for lunch . BANG 31 hhhuuumm . Dug over the full length of my JR Stainless spade . Tried it still in the hole reading 29/30 .By this time Randy and Kev had appeared . Randy gave it a swing hhhuumm summet there DEEP . So I dug 4/5 inch out with my digging tool place it on the side looked .Could see a silver glinting in the muck . I pick it up gave it to Randy .he said its a bloody Denarius and an early won .'Turned out to be a Vespiasian . 69/79 AD . My first Roman Silver and a cracker . I ended up with 8 roman bronzes and the Denarius . nice roman brooch . Randy really cut it up 22 romans and other bita and pieces .Kev had 8 and a very nice snake item (*brooch) ???  Se if I can put some pics on . Well done Minelab on producing a fantastic coil WHICH will stay on the Noxie .

• By NSC
      G'day,
      I have been a very lucky guy to have been using the new Equinox 15x12" coil .
      I decided not to tease anyone with threads about it until it was out there and becoming available to the public.
      As they are starting to trickle through now I will now say what a awesome coil this coil this thing is.

Light for size, very sensitive for a big coil, good pinpointing and really great depth ( depth at the beach amazes me and gives me a workout to dig targets ),
      Its Spring here and I am just getting back into the water with the warmer temperatures so hopefully some gold jewellery will fall in my scoop .
      Even though Winter at the beach here is a bit slow, I have done some wet sand + some shallow saltwater hunting when some very low tides occurred.
      This 15" coil is stable (as good as the 11") in the saltwater and IMHO it is not difficult to swing underwater in light - medium wave action.
      Most of my hunting has been for modern coins in parklands and a few beach hunts.
      I have found stacks of $1 and $2 coins and almost least one ring every time that I have had it out...most have been silver -  one gold ring to date.
      The 11" coil has not been back on my Eq800 since I have had the 15" , the bigger coverage it provides suits my style of hunting very well.

So if you are thinking of a good Christmas present for yourself this is one that I  highly recommend and is one that will probably pay for itself in no time.
      cheers from Downunder and happy hunting 😀

• By amergin
      Hello
      Has anybody tested I am not sure MX Six Shooter vs  Detech 7" shooter coil,  at colonial iron filled sites and which performs the best?
      are they still making MX Six Shooter? as I see unavailable on whites site?

thank you
    • By amergin
      I don't go near water, which headphones should I buy?
      is there a way to set up headphones as wire less?
      Also  best coil at colonial iron filled cellar holes??

Thanks