Why Are Some DD Coils As Big As Hula Hoops?

Lots of detector companies have stop making big round DD coils but others still putting out a large round one.

What I’m wondering if the large round DD coil is better than a slim DD with less weight?

I know swinging my 6x10 DD on my Sport is less effort than the stock DD that comes with it.

I could understand if we were talking about a concentric coil being larger for more depth.

Please enlighten me someone!

Chuck

JW

If it’s a concentric coil the bigger well give you more depth.

The stock coil on my Sport is 10 “ round and the other is 10” but it’s 6x10” with both a DD. I’m talking about DD coils only and most now is a slim DD. The length can be whatever you want but the width is somewhat less than the other.

What’s the difference if any between the two other than weigh.

Chuck

The coil with the larger surface area generally gets more depth, all other factors being equal. Both length and width matter, not just length as you seem to be implying. A round 10” DD is normally going to get more depth than a 6” x 10” DD.

Tech notes - About Searchcoils by Dave Johnson and Coil Basics by Carl Moreland

Steve

I thank you for your reply. It looks as if I something to read to help me understand the workings of a coil better .

Chuck

5 hours ago, kiwijw said:

In a nutshell...Bigger the coil = deeper detection depth but then the item detected needs to be bigger as well. l Dont think there are too many big lunker nuggets around now that warrant swinging a large coil these days. Unless in a known area for big nuggets & the area is suitable for swinging a large coil. But then what do you call big, 14" 16" 18" 22" or 25 inches?, & what do you call deep?

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

All the little specks are gone now that JW has a 6 inch coil ?

• Haha 1