Metal Detector Theft

Heres another aspect to be aware of, at ten grand a pop these detectors are going to be tempting bait for thieves so best keep them locked up and not left in trucks outside at night. i wouldn't be surprised at someone being robbed at gun point of their gpz, especially in the remote desert areas some of you folks go to...

Heres another aspect to be aware of, at ten grand a pop these detectors are going to be tempting bait for thieves so best keep them locked up and not left in trucks outside at night. i wouldn't be surprised at someone being robbed at gun point of their gpz, especially in the remote desert areas some of you folks go to...

Thieves by nature are pretty stupid people, so chances are they wouldn't know what they had if they did steal it. But If theft is a worry, for about $40 a month, you can get a GPS tracker that would be small enough to easily affix to your detector to where it would even look like it was part of the unit. If your GPZ is stolen, give the cops the latest coords and let them make the arrest. No use putting your life in jeopardy for a $10,000 piece of equipment.

• Like 1

Good point, and good idea about a tracker. I am going to check with my insurance company this coming week about issues regarding my new GPZ and what coverage I have available. I will report back.

Not a unit to leave sitting unattended for sure, but that applies to many things in life.

I never put my detectors into my truck till the morning of the day that i am out detecting,i use to take 3-4 of them with me at all time,but in recent years a few have gone missing while folks are across the other side of a large field,all it takes is a brick to be thrown through the window and then you have lost your pride and joy detectors.

Usually its just young 'smack heads' looking for the next fix and have no idea of the real value of the high expense detectors,these days i try and travel as light as i can to reduce the risk of loosing anything.

Did check my insurance and i am covered,but it still does not totally cover all your bits and pieces,and with the GPZ nudging £8,500 in the UK it is wise to go to extra length to keep it from being stolen.

I bet if a 'smack head' did steal a GPZ it would be sold for peanuts for the next fix.

While its minimal protection I plan to separate the control box from the rest of the unit when away for shopping and what not.  Bit of a bother but kind of hard to do anything with the rest if the box is missing.  A thought.  Don't know if insurance will pickup.  Thinking about OZ and Kal's parking garage in particular.  Otherwise this unit is not going to leave my sight and as to armed robbery well what the heck does one do about that save keep a pig sticker convient.  My thoughts.

One thing that would be interesting and maybe someone can put a bug in ML's ear about is a kill switch like cell phones here for stolen detectors.  These things can hook to the net and it don't take much to report it and have it turned into a 10000 brick.  Or even put a Pin on the machine.

• 2 weeks later...

Most ins.companys   have personal property riders for high dollar items like electronics (i e detectors) jewelry  art works guns and so on.

Thieves by nature are pretty stupid people, so chances are they wouldn't know what they had if they did steal it. But If theft is a worry, for about $40 a month, you can get a GPS tracker that would be small enough to easily affix to your detector to where it would even look like it was part of the unit. If your GPZ is stolen, give the cops the latest coords and let them make the arrest. No use putting your life in jeopardy for a $10,000 piece of equipment.

Casual thieves, yes. But when the detector in question costs $10,000 you may find a different class of thief operating. It happens with expensive cars. The thieves have buyers already lined up and seek out specific cars to target, because they know they can sell them on immediately. They track the cars to the owners home/work, then at an opportune moment they steal them. Be careful not to be to obvious when using your detector in open spaces. A tracker or "invisible" marking system would be a good idea, as you said.

• Like 1

When I got mine the first thing I did was devise a way to lock it inside my truck. Turning the coil 90 degrees with the shaft retracted, I set it on the floor behind the seat, tight against the back of the seat. Then I put a Kryptonite lock around the shaft at the handle of the unit and through the seat frame.

Then I cover it with a dark gray bedsheet which is basically invisible through the factory tinted back windows.

Looking at it I ask myself, "if I wanted to steel this without damaging it, how would I go about it?"  First I'd have to steal the truck...

Guys, guys, guys ... you don't get robbed in the gold fields or shot.  When was the last time you heard of that?  (It happens and we can make a thread if you know of it.)

Where you get robbed is in the city.  That is where they keep the thieves.  Where you get robbed is in your home and on the streets if you leave something in your car.

Most of these thieves don't have enough people to rob out in a desert.  They want someone close to where they live.  

Sometimes I take some of my gold finds with me to show and people say 'Aren't you afraid someone will take them?'  Most 'miners' won't steal it.

I think it is often times safer with me than left at home when no one is there!

Get the insurance you think you need and where you need it.