Hey just got an Equinox 800 last week, my first detector.  First of all thanks for all the info, it has really helped me figure out this thing!  So far I've only detected around the house and found a wide range of trash: Nails, stakes, nuts, bolts, old chunks of iron, shell casing, a piece of buckshot, molten aluminum nugget from a bonfire, stainless steel wire, tarp grommet, bottle cap, tin can lid.  Nothing amazing but happy with the results, right now I'm digging everything with a consistent signal to learn, figuring out the Target ID and learning the sounds.  Probably a little tough area to start at, but as soon as I figured out the sensitivity and ground balance, the signals are much clearer, I've been impressed how deep it has found some things.  Also suprised I haven't dug any hot rocks yet, there are a lot of rocks in our driveway that are magnetic and I expected to be having to dig a lot more, but so far haven't dug one.

Thanks again for all the advice on here, excited to go look for some nuggets and lost stuff.  Really happy with the machine, love the wireless headphones!  Seems hard to beat for an "all-around" type machine.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

I'm digging everything with a consistent signal to learn, figuring out the Target ID and learning the sounds.  Probably a little tough area to start at, but as soon as I figured out the sensitivity and ground balance, the signals are much clearer, I've been impressed how deep it has found some things.

Welcome, Sasquatch!  I assume (with a nick like that) you don't like to get your picture taken.  😁

You're on the right track.  You might try digging some of the inconsistent signals to see what they are, even if that just emphasizes what you don't want to dig in the future.  In my experience not all inconsistent signals are bad targets.

6 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Also suprised I haven't dug any hot rocks yet, there are a lot of rocks in our driveway that are magnetic and I expected to be having to dig a lot more, but so far haven't dug one.

Presumably you are running in "all metal" (horseshoe button toggle) since default discrimination eliminates ferrous signals.  Why not pick a couple of those magnetic rocks off the driveway and see where they ID (if you haven't done that already)?

I have been running all metal around the house, mainly to see whats there and pick up nails that are near the surface. But I have done testing to get basic ideas of Target ideas and the iron discrimination in Park 1 works great.

Will try testing a few rocks, but so far they don’t seem to trigger the dectector, even in all metal.

First time I tried it I was getting crazy signals from all the nails, like where someone had burned a bunch of pallets, the sensitivity was too high or I hadn’t ground balanced.  Once I turned sensitivity down and ran all metal it became clear what was going on. Now I do seem to sometimes get unrepeatable chirps, especially moving through taller grass and such, think from just the coil getting bumped.  But in testing I do see you can get inconsistent or jumping target ID’s especially when you put something ferrous and non-ferrous close.  Amazing that you can learn to hear the subtle difference between nail sizes, rings vs coins, etc.  

Thanks to all the tips on here this has been far less frustrating than it would be trying to glean all the intricacies out of the manual!

Welcome to the forum Sas! You have a great detector there. I sure do love mine.

Best of luck!

On 8/13/2018 at 8:21 AM, Sasquatch said:

Now I do seem to sometimes get unrepeatable chirps, especially moving through taller grass and such, think from just the coil getting bumped. 

Yup, it can be sensitive. It might help to use velcro straps to hold the coil wire snugly against the shaft so it doesn't have any wiggle when bumped. Like loose socks, it can slough down and wiggle when bumped, and being metal... 

Others have commented that noisy coil can come from dirt under the coil protector. I've not pried mine off yet but should. That too might help. 

You started with an awesome machine and likely won't feel a need to upgrade any time soon, unless you want to get into some specific detecting that would do better with a machine focused to that task. 

They say 100 hours use to gain competency, and I believe it. I learn more each time out and am nowhere near 100 hours yet. There's still lots of settings to explore/learn about.

Enjoy your time, take good mental notes and don't worry about digging everything at first, it's how we've all learned!

Welcome aboard, we're all in for a great ride!

Hi and welcome Sasquatch

Seems an age ago now when i first started with the nox, in truth its only been around 2 months.  Out of interest, when you say your finding deep stuff, what average depth you talking of, and what do you personally consider deep.

Cheers

Andy.

Most stuff around my house is fairly shallow, it hits virgin ground and bed rock pretty quick and is mostly trash, but a couple chunks of iron were about 12" down.

Tomorrow is a big day, planning to head out on my first gold hunt.  Today I was impressed to find 3 small air rifle pellets, and perhaps a deformed small caliber bullet.  These seem to sound pretty close to small gold nuggets/pickers I've tested with with detector.  We'll see if I find anything!

• Like 1

Howdy Sasq,

How did you get on.  Any decent finds?

No luck this time. Went to Crow Creek Mine, but couldn't cross the stream due to high water, will try again in the late fall.  Walked around all day, just getting a lay of the land, seeing where trails went, trying to see where the different layers were between the stream and cuts in the hill.  So much iron around, many large pieces of iron read back high numbers, really wanted to get out of the tailings and trash.  A large portion of the claims were blocked off and a no tresspassing sign hung up, so couldn't explore as much as I would have liked, did find lesser used trails and poked around a lot of cut banks.  Then visited a friend that was camped out there and showed his son the detector and we found a few coins and nails aroud the campsite.  Today detected around the house and found interesting trash, a stud from an old studded tractor tire, few ammo shells and bullets, ring pulls, bottle caps, quarter, old Carousel soda can.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Condor
      Temps here in Sunny Yuma are still unbearable, but I got out for a few hrs early this AM to play with the Equinox 800 and 6" coil.  I went back to the same spot as last week, an area of relatively flat drywash tailings.  I poked around for half Hr in the Gold II setting but the hot rocks were becoming quite tedious.  Even if you apply some discrimination, they blow through the filter with a choppy broken tone.  I remembered that our skilled Moderator has said, many months ago, that he was quite confident in finding small gold in the Park II mode.  I thought I'd give it a try figuring the hot rocks would come in the low tone and gold would pop through in the higher tones.  I picked a spot of choppy hot ground and put down my 1/4 gram test nugget.  It zipped through with a nice high tone and the choppy hot ground more or less disappeared.  I ran the Sens up to 23, no discrimination, everything else factory preset in Park II.  It was truly amazing, the hot rock tones were gone.  Park II also runs with no threshold so the machine was nearly dead silent.  I went back over the ground I had just covered and started popping these tiny bits of gold.  Half of them came out of boot scrapes I had left last week.  I did not rely on the VID numbers, just the tone.  If the machine grunted a low tone but fluttered a high tone I dug.  I pulled up some tiny pieces of rusted steel and wire, but enough of those targets turned into gold to keep me digging.  I watched the VID numbers on a couple targets.  They started out negative VID -7, -8, but when uncovered popped 0 or +1, all the while with a high tone. 
      As we discussed on the last thread, VID numbers for gold vary, but now it's clear that relying on VID is going to miss gold.  The tones were certainly more reliable than VID in this situation.  And clearly, Park II is plenty sensitive to small gold.  These 10 pieces combined would not register on my scale.  I used a sewing needle for scale, they are that tiny. 
      I suspect that the hot rocks were screened out by the "iron bias" filter, perhaps Steve can shed more light on that aspect.  This machine is really starting to impress me.

• By Bhogg
      Hi Everyone 
      Just interested to see if anyone has done a comparison of TID Numbers between the 6 inch coil and the 11 coil?
      I’ve personally never used the 6 inch on coins before only gold, but would like to use it at a few spots that are full of junk as there’s to many targets seeing the coil at once,  so hard to distinguish a good target from bad one and then due to this it’s very hard to get a clear TID due to a junk target mixing TID Numbers up.
      So if anyone has made a list/ chart of the comparison I’m sure plenty on here would also be interested to see the difference.
       Cheers 
    • By ColonelDan
      In an effort to simplify my detecting life with the EQX 800, I limited the number of tones to three corresponding to the common low, mid and high conductive ranges.
      I thought I'd share this with the forum...for what it's worth anyway.  Please keep in mind as you read on, it may be worth even less to you than you paid for it!  😎
      Since 99% of my hunts are on east coast Florida beaches, I hunt in all metal and dig just about anything that doesn't sound specifically like iron. Yes, I dig a lot of aluminum!  But having a rough and simple indication of what my coil may be over, be it a low, mid or high conductive target, I thought would be helpful and shield me from the “tone overload” I get using 50 tones.   Even using the factory presets of 5 tones , I sometimes find it tricky to distinguish between tones over the ambient sounds along the beach. Again, I asked myself if I really needed that fine level of distinction anyway based on where and the way I hunt and dig. Agreed, that's strictly a personal preference.
      I tested quite a number common targets of varying size and metallurgical composition and came up with some common VDI ranges that I see on our beaches for each of the conductivity zones. I then modified the 5 tone option to 3 tones. My results:
      Conductivity              VDI Range         Tone
      Low                                -9 to 0                   1
      Mid                                  1-19                      12
      High                                20+                       25
      I can now easily hear a distinct difference in those three tones and my life is simpler.
      Granted, the specific conductivity ranges based on the VDI display will vary depending on the soil, target depth and metallurgical composition.  All of which is a known and acceptable factor to me for the purpose of this “approximation exercise.”
      Just the view from my sandy foxhole...

• By mn90403
      Every 3rd Friday of the month the metal detecting club I belong to allows us to display our 'finds of the month' as a competition.  The categories are listed on the white board below my display.  This month my display number was 19.  I had an entry for each category this month.  All of the items were found with the 800 using the 11" coil.  (You can see the club info and pictures of past finds here: http://prospectorsclub.org/  )
      I've put in a few hours over the last week because conditions were good.  What I didn't show were the coins that I found which was about $50.  So I dug a lot of holes when you add in the trash!
      About 3 nights ago I went out on a low tide and was not finding much on my first beach.  I was getting ready to go and I found a piece of micro jewelry.  I didn't really want to leave so I began a SLOW grid of the area.  Just about every target started out as a negative number.  I kept gridding and found another micro piece as one of the studs, nothing very exciting but a target.  I locked into the slow pattern at the 'bottom of the hill' which is the end of the steep part of a beach slant.  I ended up with 5-6 small pieces and was satisfied with that.
      Sometimes after I grid I look at the holes I've dug and consider the depth of the targets and extend that line or cross over where I've been before.  One of these times I extended the grid and came back to the pattern and I heard a 17.  Well, the Nox does 13, 20,21,30,31 and 15s quite often so 17 was a digger in all metal.  I took my normal couple of scoops and the target was still there.  This was the deepest target in the grid.  I looked in the scoop after about 9 inches and a 10k 6g ring was shinning at me in the moonlight.  This was a shock.  It was out of place and it didn't sound like that type of target.
      The ring is pretty solid.  I could not tell from the sound.  One of my criticisms of the 800 is that it doesn't make heavier, more massive items louder.  Larger items like aluminium cans detect over a much larger area but I don't get a sense of 'density' from the audio target signal.
      So, I guess the 17 is because the gold has more copper or silver to make it the 10k.  It is a nice class ring.  I'm still trying to find the owner.
      The other items in the picture all have a story too including the two silver dimes and two silver chains.  I'll try to remember them if you ask me.
      Mitchel 

• By Mark T
      I was ground balancing in single frequencies with my Nox 800 the other day and as you would expect the ground balance numbers change depending on the frequncy used so i wonder if we can alter the the 'weighting' of a program by doing a ground balance in the opposite frequency to the 'weighting' preset eg Field 2 is 'weighted' towards the higher frequencies so if we did a ground balance in 5kHz and then switched to multi would the 'weighting' have changed to any degree? would the Field 2 program now favour a wider range of conductors? would doing this offer any benefits ? i dont know but i will be trying to find out this weekend any thoughts on this ?
    • By Nuke em
      Last night after work i went to the beach for 9pm . It was dark and difficult to see much but i could tell that the normal areas i search were to built up to find much so i went East and saw that it was a lot better . though still built up. My Nox was updated last week and i wanted to see what it was like .There was no WIFI or EMI about and the machine was stable .
      I didn't expect much and the Summer crowds have gone , but if the beach had ripped a bit that might produce some older stuff . 
      From the start i started to find coinage and for the entire "almost" 1.5 miles i found coinage till 2am when i finished to get the Bus home .
      There were no rings about as i was on the dry and quite high up the beach , though below high tide mark. None of the targets were very deep , at most 6 inches . But the targets were more stable and clearer . 
      By the time i finished the hunt i had found exactly £72.00p in spendable coinage and a few foreign coins and 7 fishing weights . 
      My next hunt will be Saturday night for high tide till 5am when out .
      I think the Nox is working better but when i put my phone on and searched late in the night i found it still suffers WIFI interference , i turned it off and it cleared . I dont use the boxed headphones but use Gray Ghosts with an adapter plugged into the WM08 .
      The second picture is the coinage straight out of the finds pouch.