My First Roman Silver With The Nox

CliveHamy

Oh you lucky thing!   Or should I say you .... "skilful thing" ?

Semantics aside, bloody great find matey.

Andy.

1 minute ago, Andy2640 said:

Oh you lucky thing!   Or should I say you .... "skilful thing" ?

Semantics aside, bloody great find matey.

Andy.

Thanks for that, more luck, I was not far from a Roman road, so I decided to check a slight rise in the field nearby... When I dug it, it was hard to pinpoint, - lots of mud and I think it got stuck to my boot!. I tried using the detector on my boots to check but of course the eyelets gave off a signal, - would have made a good sketch from The Detectorists! Anyway, I've learnt  a lesson, I'm going to use signal-less wellies from now on.

• Like 1

LMAO Clive!  Signal-less wellies ?  You've got to brand that. >  Signal-less TM.   Hahhahaaaaa.

A few comments, first well done, and second, I thought that TV program Detectorists was rubbish.  But i did like that they used minelab machines hehehe.

Clive you dont know how much i want to find a bloody roman coin.  As of yet no luck. Im right next to watling - street where i am. Got a permission at a hall just 300m from it.  So far no joy, but have found some lovely Victorian silver. Thinkinbg about a deeper machine for just that site, got the nexus MP in mind.

I hit my local library the other week too, loads of good info in there, defo the place to go after the internet research.

Oh well, once again great find Clive.

Andy.

5 hours ago, Andy2640 said:

LMAO Clive!  Signal-less wellies ?  You've got to brand that. >  Signal-less TM.   Hahhahaaaaa.

A few comments, first well done, and second, I thought that TV program Detectorists was rubbish.  But i did like that they used minelab machines hehehe.

Clive you dont know how much i want to find a bloody roman coin.  As of yet no luck. Im right next to watling - street where i am. Got a permission at a hall just 300m from it.  So far no joy, but have found some lovely Victorian silver. Thinkinbg about a deeper machine for just that site, got the nexus MP in mind.

I hit my local library the other week too, loads of good info in there, defo the place to go after the internet research.

Oh well, once again great find Clive.

Andy.

Sounds like a great location - Watling Street. Now that's a real Roman Road. Have you tried looking at www.lidarfinder.com ?

You may see some ground works that could be Roman, - rectangular stuff. Or I wonder if anyone is publishing the recent aerial photos mentioned in the news in this hot weather.  Of course, the challenge is getting the permission.  I heard someone say the other day that they never find anything Roman beside a Roman road because people don't stop until they get to a way station. But I suspect that there would be burials along the way, and maybe shrines. Are you sure you need a deeper machine? The NOX gives me signals that I'm not prepared to dig as they are more than a shovel's depth and I've got limited time. My challenge is deciding what not to dig..... Cheers Clive

• Like 1

On 8/16/2018 at 4:46 AM, Andy2640 said:

I thought that TV program Detectorists was rubbish.  But i did like that they used minelab machines hehehe.

The humor is so dry that I thought it worked pretty well.  Lot of stereotypes, some true, many exaggerated, decent stories, I don't know, it's better then "BOOM BABY BOOM!!!"  ?

• Like 1