Hydration Packs/harnesses - What Do You Use?

For me a hydration pack is essential, even during the winter months when it is cooler out, plus I like having a bit of extra storage for lunch, phone, radios, etc since the truck is usually too far to hike back to for water and food. They also stay on me better than that Minelab harness. For the past few years I've used a Camelback MULE and a bungee for the GPX and liked it but I always wished it had front pockets on the arm straps so I could access things without removing the pack. I just got an Ultimate Direction Wasp to try out this year but now that I've received it, it seems a bit smaller than the Camelback and potentially a bit more flimsy. I detect 5+ days a week so I'm hoping it stands up to abuse, especially since the GPZ is even heavier now.

Just curious what other people use? Anyone have a good hydration pack that is strong enough to support a GPX/GPZ and has easy access storage pockets on the front straps? Is there a better solution out there?

Never used one of these hydration packs,the main reason we dont have any desert enviroment in the UK,someone did buy one just to keep a drink on hand during the hot summer,but as i understand it you do have to keep the pipe work ultra clean and sterilize it often other wise bacteria can take hold.

Hi all,

I have a Camelbak 100 oz camo pack now, in which I have replaced the original big mouth bladder with a 100 oz./3 liter bladder, made by Geigerrig,   http://www.geigerrig.com/

The bladder is of very good quality, easy to turn inside out to clean and dry, has a great warranty, and best of all, it is made in the U.S.A.

On the above Geigerrig.com website, you will likely find the pack and bladder you are looking for.

The very BEST thing about this bladder, is that it is inflated by a small squeeze bulb, and that internal pressure forces the water out via a small valve that is operated by your free hand.  The interesting thing about this concept, is, you don't suck on anything, it is squirted into your mouth, or give your dog a drink, or spray yourself for a welcome cooling off in the warm weather.  I found mine at a Costco showing, and the bladder can be purchased by itself for about $49.00, if you already have a pack that meets your specifications.  Also on this website, there are accessories for the bladder, as well as inline filters you can buy for those places with a questionable water supply. 

Check it out.  I really have enjoyed the bladder I bought, have used it out in the field.  Very handy if you are a bicycle rider or what, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at this great technology!

Gary/Largo

• Like 2

I second the Geigerrig. I currently use their 1600 tactical pack with 100oz bladder. It fits my SDC perfectly and you can bungee from the strap.  Best place I have found to buy is ThinkGeek.com. They have it for almost half off right now.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/1c53/?itm=customlabel0Home_%26_Office_%7C_Bags_Backpacks_%26_Luggage&rkgid=1453729095&cpg=ogplaho1&source=google_home_office&adpos=1o1&creative=50718231765&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CMSSooaWl8QCFYiVfgodKm8AQw

Hopefully that link works

Jeff

• Like 1

I've been wearing the Camelbaks ever since they first came out. All others in my opinion are nothing but imitators. I've got several packs with some being almost 20 years old now. They all still get used depending upon what the situations are. The one I find that gets the most use now since I've been detecting, is the 100 oz "Charge". All it has is the "bulletproof" insulated pack with the bladder, and a storage pocket for snacks and what not. That's all I need, since I carry everything else on my Rokon.

Here's a few tips I learned over the years from using the Camelbaks out here in the AZ desert. If you want your water (or in my case tea) to stay cold all day long, pre-fill the bladder the night before you head out and put it in your refrigerator. In addition to that, don't use ice cubes in your bladder, they melt too fast. When you put your bladder in the refrigerator for the night, throw a couple bottles of water in the freezer. When you take them out in the morning, remove the plastic from the frozen bottles and put the frozen chunks in your bladder. On the 100 oz bladder there is a divider in the middle. The frozen ice chunks from the bottles fit perfect in each side of the divider.

Cleaning the bladder... fire up your tea kettle, run some hot water from the faucet inside the bladder and rinse it out real good. Then fill with half hot water from your tea kettle and half hot water from your faucet, add a tablespoon of bleach and swish it around real good. Make sure you run the super hot water through your bite valve hose and rinse it out real good also. Rinse and repeat one more time for good measure. After rinsing, stuff some paper towels in each side of the bladder, then hang upside down to let it fully drain and dry out. Been using this method for almost 20 years now and my bladders still look brand new and they've never ever had a bad taste.

• Like 2

Camel pack rules.  As to front pockets I wear a jacket with cargo pouches or add a fanny pack depending on the weather.  How much you pack is up to your situation but I keep it light.  I don't see the added weight of the gpz to be a problem.  My problem is where to carry my pick.

I remember thirty some years ago spent a lot of time in the desert with my dad and he carried the desert water bags.

They where all ways damp and cool and the water was refreshing. Nothing worse that 120 degree water to drink.

I would hang a couple of these on that Rokon.

post-411-0-10689800-1425825446_thumb.jpg

Ivan
  • Like 3

Ivan,

You just jogged my memory a bit...I have a Desert water bag somewhere, can't imagine anyone stealing the thing. 

Dad kept one hung from the radiator cap on the front of his old car, so it would keep the radiator a little cooler so's it wouldn't boil over...the real older ones like you show here, have the cork, the newer ones have a cap with a spring loaded affair to keep the cap in place.

Sorry jasong, to have been a part of getting your thread off on a tangent!

Gary/Largo