My Bad Experience At The Paddock?

Happa54

Hey everyone...

There are horse paddocks a few miles from home. I stopped in once before a few months ago and got a merc, some wheats, modern clad, bits and pieces of jewelry and metal grommets or ornaments off of clothing. I dug a bunch of quarters there which tells me that no one is hunting the area. These digs came from the grassy areas surrounding the paddocks. 

On my return yesterday morning, I decided to go into the paddocks (all the gates are open) to see if I could find rings, bracelets or whatever metal objects my Nox would pick up. The ground is an inch or two of crushed rock, not quite sand, and real gritty. It was like finely crushed gravel...lots of tiny rocks. Below this topping, is some sort of concrete floor or something rock hard. Don't know what it is but my Nox was getting high conduct signals from down under and I couldn't break through. I gave up on it. 

Here is my scenario...

I started in Park 1, factory settings. My audio was extremely choppy. No consistent signals. Took off IB, went to 50 tones... still choppy and erratic. I felt myself panicking a little. What to do? I put it in Park 2, factory settings. Still choppy and erratic. Did a couple of noise cancels and ground balances, to no available. I thought to myself, "I'm outta here".  

Is this what beach hunting is like? No can't be. This was strange and I knew that I have to research and discuss with members on the boards. 

Sensitivity settings? Always try to lower it first, when the machine gets chattery..

On the other hand conrete floor contains steel mesh most of the time - not the best place to metal detect. If reduced sensitivity doesn‘t help, you‘re probably out of options there, imho.

(Sinclair already mentioned to possibility of steel reinforcing.)  If there is a concrete subfloor there could be magnetite or other magnetic / highly mineralized / iron oxide component to that. 

You didn't say if your detector was quiet when held still -- the tipoff to whether you're picking up EMI or not.  I'm assuming the answer is "quiet when not in motion."