Which End Is Waterproof? Both?

unearth

Im with you Cliff....... havent taken mine apart since i put it on an Andersons straight shaft....... just rinse and go.   As far as the sand in the lower shaft...... i drilled a hole and it goes out before i leave the water.    No amount of rinsing is going to keep that upper aluminum from blistering/pitting over time if you use it in the salt water.   

• Like 1

On 8/14/2018 at 4:08 PM, cdv said:

If you are worried about the connector (when not connected) either be real careful not to get water on the connector. Use a plastic bag if you have to.... or reconnect the connector until you are done rinsing it off.....

To be honest, since I've owned my machine, I rinse it off at the beach, and take it home to charge.....it is only going to get wet the next day anyway..... connector hasn't been disconnected since I put it on originally. Many days it gets put away wet to drip dry......

The reason I take the lower shaft off after each beach hunt is because the Anderson shaft, compared to the Minelab shaft, has a smaller tolerance between the OD of the lower shaft and the ID of the upper shaft. Or so it seems to me. If I don't remove the lower shaft and clean it out, then after two or three beach hunts, it's a bear to take apart.

I will just have to be careful when cleaning the unit to keep water away from the connectors.

Thanks everyone for all the replies.

Personally ..... id be find with a one piece shaft.   Taking it apart you will likely notice more wear on the CF.   Also..... take a look at Chucks web page (sunspot)  He now makes a rubber gasket of some sort to keep sand from getting between the shafts.   Does it work .... i dont know.    I used to take mine apart everytime....... then realized..... im not going anywhere with the machine almost all local hunts.   I just throw it in the back of the SUV and go........ so why was i taking it apart if my shaft is ALL CF.   The obvious answer was........ to keep it from locking up....... now my answer is...... so what.   I can still remove the coil and all the parts and drilled a hole to let accumulated sand out of the lower shaft.   My only concern would be if i broke the lower shaft........ and i figured taking it apart over and over with sand between the shafts likely would do more damage.   I have the ML shaft if i decide to take my machine on a plane.

• Like 1

Hey Dewcon4414 Is your 1-piece carbon fiber shaft all the way to the coil? I know I've read where carbon fiber isn't great near the coil, then again my ETrac had a carbon lower shaft, not metallic but is conductive.

Anyhow for that reason I was thinking of making a 1pice Kevlar shaft instead, but if the carbon is fine it gives me more options.

I'm looking to trim a couple hundred grams off the shaft weight and like you water hunts are local so the 1piece is fine for the water too, lots of room in the truck, still shorter then a Excalibur on a broom stick.

Ive never had an issue with CF....... i mean we used to use SS bolts on the coils lol.   You'd get less affect if any than from a moving cable from CF that moves with you.    Ive done it two ways........ epoxied the coil connector head........ or simply inserted a CUT OFF lower shaft and used a nylon bolt.   Some of us use WHITES lowers...... they are cheap and it allows for a bit larger fiber type rubbers to be used.  Obviously its cheaper to just buy a shorter piece of CF and use the ML lower, cuff, and handle and do the two piece.   Only tricky part id say is the handle...... knowing where you like it and drilling that small hole.   MLs is to straight up for me so mine is a little to the right for comfort.    

Right on thanks for the input. That frees up some choices. I see they have some carbon/Kevlar mixed tubes as well.

I am going to do a 1-piece shaft for maximum weight loss. (May as well for the cost and effort) The Equinox shaft actually weighs slightly less then a Deus already, the coils are the same weight if you take the bolt off of the Equinox coil. The biggest weight difference is the Equinox electronics pod, weighing 400 some odd grams.

I am fine with epoxying a coil connector from the OEM shaft or 3D printing one out of nylon.