Which End Is Waterproof? Both?

unearth

Which end of the Nox is the waterproof end? Is it the coil cable end OR the coil receptacle on the back of the controller? Or, are both waterproof? When I rinse my Nox off after a beach hunt I cover both connectors with my thumb so as not to get the pins or the pin receptacles wet. Does anybody know what the thread count is on the connectors? I would like to get a male and a female solid end so as to rinse the Nox off without any possible water problems.

Thanks for any info on this matter.

Just now, Northeast said:

Entire machine is waterproof to 10 feet.  Rinse to your hearts content  ?

Does that include when the coil is not connected to the controller? I remove the lower rod to get the sand out. To do so I have to unplug the coil.

Hmmm, I'm out of my depth at this point.  Your question did seem a little too easy  ?

One of the more technical members will have to take it up from here  ?

1 minute ago, Northeast said:

Hmmm, I'm out of my depth at this point.  Your question did seem a little too easy  ?

One of the more technical members will have to take it up from here  ?

Northeast...When I rinse my unit off, I take it apart pretty much all the way. I don't take the handle/controller or the arm cuff off, but all the rest I do. The sand is so intrusive that if I don't clean it well it gets to be to hard to dis-assemble. I have my Nox on an Anderson carbon fiber shaft.

• Like 1

If you are worried about the connector (when not connected) either be real careful not to get water on the connector. Use a plastic bag if you have to.... or reconnect the connector until you are done rinsing it off.....

To be honest, since I've owned my machine, I rinse it off at the beach, and take it home to charge.....it is only going to get wet the next day anyway..... connector hasn't been disconnected since I put it on originally. Many days it gets put away wet to drip dry......

• Like 1

The manual recommends doing your cleaning/rinsing before you disconnect the coil, mainly to keep debris out of the connector.

Even though the detector is waterproof while disconnected, I would still keep the coil side of the plug  dry on the inside.

17 minutes ago, Alluminati said:

The manual recommends doing your cleaning/rinsing before you disconnect the coil, mainly to keep debris out of the connector.

Even though the detector is waterproof while disconnected, I would still keep the coil side of the plug  dry on the inside.

Where does it say that you rinse/clean before disconnecting the coil?  While I agree with that practice, I cannot find in the manual where that is explicitly recommended.  All I found were:

"•  If water gets into the headphone socket, it must be dried carefully a with a warm air dryer in order to prevent corrosion and/or false headphone connection detection."

"•  Hose the detector with clean water after use on the beach (wading or submersion)."

"Shaft twist-lock seizes 1.  Separate the shafts and turn the twist lock back and forth several times to clear any dirt build-up, then thoroughly rinse in clean water before putting back together."

I guess that could apply to the coil too, in principle.  I agree that you should avoid getting the coil connector wet though both the coil connector plug and the  coil jack on the detector should both be internally sealed against moisture intrusion it is best not to let debris get into the connector so I would avoid taking it apart while rinsing off the detector.  There should be no need to physically disconnect the lower shaft as long as you loosen it an slide it while rinsing.  The headphone jack is internally sealed against moisture intrusion into the control head, though water can collect in the jack cavity so it is recommended that it be rinsed and dried as stated above.

Anyway, good questions and info.

I also noticed in the Equinox Detector Care section of the manual  that Minelab advises against putting any kind of petroleum-based lubricant on the o-ring seals (including the battery) and states that applying grease or lubricant of any kind on the o-ring seals is unnecessary. 

"• O-ring lubricant or grease is not required on waterproof seals.

• Do not use a petroleum based O-ring grease as it is likely to damage the waterproof seals."

FWIW This was a topic of back and forth discussion here: