6" Coil On The Way!

steveg

No joy getting a 6" coil here yet.  I may borrow one from a buddy who lucked into one to try out on an upcoming trip.

Looking forward to your 6" vs 11" depth test :smile:

• 1 month later...

Just received my 6" coil today.  Did about an hour hunt at one of the hardest hit old schools in my town... was able to squeak out a wheat and some copper memorials... all amidst trash and all 4" or less.  Need to do more hunting to get a better feel for it.  

I see this thread died a few months ago... if there are subsequent posts where you share results Steve or Dew or anyone, please point me to them.  Thanks ~Tim

• Like 2

I finally received mine too thanks to a heads up of from a fellow forumite.  Planning a little trip in a couple of weekends to try some tough but productive spots, cannot wait to see how the Equinox and my Multi Kruzer does at these sites :smile:

• Like 4

Got mine on Wednesday. I was on a list for about 2 months but decided last Friday to call around and try to get lucky, which I did. With only a few minutes last night it was clear It will breath life into my pounded sites. Looking forward to the weekend!

• Like 3

Looking forward to the added test information coming soon.

• Like 1

Minelab must finally be opening the spigot.  Mine arrived yesterday and I got in 3 hours today (with success -- more details on Sunday when I have time to post them).

I gotta say that this is the first detector I've owned where I've used an 11 inch coil (compared to 6 inchers) a majority of the time, because I had no choice.  It was a great learning experience.  Do I wish to repeat that with my next detector?  No.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Minelab must finally be opening the spigot.  Mine arrived yesterday and I got in 3 hours today (with success -- more details on Sunday when I have time to post them).

I gotta say that this is the first detector I've owned where I've used an 11 inch coil (compared to 6 inchers) a majority of the time, because I had no choice.  It was a great learning experience.  Do I wish to repeat that with my next detector?  No.

I take it you won't be getting the large Equinox coil then.  Lol.  I like the 6 inch coil as a specialty coil to exploit high density hot spots and restricted areas, but I can't imagine using it most of the time because I am typically relic hunting in large fields which favors coverage and depth over pinpoint separation.  I do enjoy hearing about all the different styles and types of hunting and the different approaches people take to detecting and use of their detectors.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2018 at 10:23 AM, Chase Goldman said:

I like the 6 inch coil as a specialty coil to exploit high density hot spots and restricted areas, but I can't imagine using it most of the time because I am typically relic hunting in large fields which favors coverage and depth over pinpoint separation.  I do enjoy hearing about all the different styles and types of hunting and the different approaches people take to detecting and use of their detectors.

I couldn't agree more.  So far 95% of my detecting has been with old coins as my goal.  If I get jewelry (occasionally) and relics (often) then I'll take those, too.  Old coins are in old sites.  I don't have the situation some do hunting 'cleaned out' old sites and I'm fine with that.  So my old sites have lots of trash -- majority of which are nails.  The masking is often extreme, even for the fast response Equinox with 11 inch coil.  Even more so the case with my previous detectors which don't have as good of separation and/or target ID in high density trash.  The smaller coils may have been a crutch for me and for this reason I'm glad I spent 175 hours with the Eqx 11 inch coil, even in my trashy hunting grounds.  But it's always better to have options.

As far as the Eqx big coil, I haven't decided and I'll be reading the reviews here, as always, before making my decision.  Who knows, there might be some 3rd party aftermarket manufactured coils ? out by the time I need a large one.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

The smaller coils may have been a crutch for me and for this reason I'm glad I spent 175 hours with the Eqx 11 inch coil, even in my trashy hunting grounds.  But it's always better to have options.

That will be like night and day.  Way to train yourself for the benefit of the 6". There was a situation that I wish I had that 6" coil (restricted maneuvering) where the 11" was just too big.  Dunno if I will ever get back there but I was forced to use a PI with a small coil which worked, but was a bear to deal with, especially with the slow recovery.  I probably could have recovered a lot more targets in the same time frame with the faster Equinox (the targets were mainly shallow minie balls around old tree stumps, so the PI depth was not necessary, but the only tool I had for the situation).

• Like 1

On 10/12/2018 at 2:32 AM, Cal_Cobra said:

I finally received mine too thanks to a heads up of from a fellow forumite.  Planning a little trip in a couple of weekends to try some tough but productive spots, cannot wait to see how the Equinox and my Multi Kruzer does at these sites :smile:

Good luck on the trip and....

Get those gold coin TID's locked in you noggin!