White's... What Is Going On Please With The TDI Beach Hunter?

Tony

So many new toys like the 24K and now the TDI Beach Hunter but so little money.

I may have to put myself up for adoption. My trouble I’m sure will be someone who can afford me and my toys.

I like what was shown about that you can hang the Hunter off your hip. Anytime I can reduce the weight off my arm I’ll do it.

On the price oh don’t get me wrong I wish it was lower but the quality may be lower too. With the adaption in the way one would want to hunt makes it well worth the money.

Here I was saving my pennies to buy the 24K but now being the beach is nearer than gold country. I do believe the TDI Beach Hunter is going to win out.

Chuck

• Haha 1

Gosh, it looks like we do have a waterproof TDI after all! 

Ships with a Heavy Duty battery for longer run time and also has increased sensitivity and stability due to the hardwired coil. A bonus we did not expect!

Want a mono coil? Coiltek? Miner John? Etc? We are working on setting that up in "White's Custom Shop." Or if you are handy you can DIY (note: this will void your warranty).

Sorry for not having more info earlier. We like to tell our dealers first and wait until products are ready to ship.

Now excuse me while I jump in the Klamath River and find some nice nugs in the bedrock.

https://www.whiteselectronics.com/product/tdi-beachhunter/

White's TDI BeachHunter Specifications
Operating mode. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Pulse Induction
Pulse Frequency . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2.6kHz - 3kHz
Pulse Delay. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .10μs - 25μs
Search modes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . PI, Ground balanced PI
Ground balance. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Differential delay
Audio tones . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Hi/Lo
Audio output . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Hard-wired headphones
Search coil . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12” Dual Field (aftermarket coils available)
Weight. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5 lbs (with 12” DF coil)
Length. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .43 - 48 inches, adjustable
Batteries. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (8) AA, NiMH & alkaline
Battery life . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5-6 hours typical2
Warranty. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 years, transferrable
Waterproof. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 25ft/7.5m

White's TDI BeachHunter Owner's Manual

whites-tdi-beachhunter-waterproof-metal-detector-pulse-induction-waterproof-hipmount.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Tom

When the TDI first came out I found myself hunting on the beaches of Ms. It had the dual field coil on it and I never before dug so deep for a coin than ever with other coils.

In my opinion if you going to use the Beach Hunter on the beach . This can be in are out of the water you just can’t go wrong using the dual field coil .

The only thing I wonder is what’s next coming out of White’s ?

Chuck

• Like 2

We need a Lithium battery system...... a run time of 4-5 hours with the standard NiMH pack isn't enough when you are out in the water and the car is a mile away for a battery swap. Might have to try one of those 3 x 18650 (3400mah) battery setups. There is a guy who 3D prints the battery pack (For units using the standard 8 AA Penholder) but will this fit the TDI (Beach Hunter) case ?

Tony

• Like 2

Tony

How about you and I bringing up this matter on a different type of batteries at the next White’s board meeting.

I hear you loud and clear on the run time. I was in hopes it would be better than a TDI SL.

Maybe Tom will say if he knows what is the run time on The Heavy Duty Battery that come with the Beach Hunter.

Chuck

PS Tom did say something about a run time from 5 hrs maybe up to 6 hrs. For me at my age I can live with that but younger people that’s not a long run time.

• Like 1

Was hoping for an 8+ hour run time......there are options out there.

The White's NiMH battery pack is 2200 mah.....if the draw on the TDI is 0.5A then the maths doesn't look too good as far as run time goes....4 hours max !

6 hours ago, Tony said:

Was hoping for an 8+ hour run time......there are options out there.

The White's NiMH battery pack is 2200 mah.....if the draw on the TDI is 0.5A then the maths doesn't look too good as far as run time goes....4 hours max !

Don't quote me on the exact figures but if the battery was 14v like on the Pro it will draw around 0.5A but the nimh battery is only 9.6v so the draw would be around 0.3A. The internal resistance of the machine does not change so if a lower voltage is applied, the current draw will be smaller according to the law of physics V=IR.

15 hours ago, Tony said:

We need a Lithium battery system...... a run time of 4-5 hours with the standard NiMH pack isn't enough when you are out in the water and the car is a mile away for a battery swap. Might have to try one of those 3 x 18650 (3400mah) battery setups. There is a guy who 3D prints the battery pack (For units using the standard 8 AA Penholder) but will this fit the TDI (Beach Hunter) case ?

Tony

I have a couple of these printed packs. They will fit in the case with some modification. So will the super hot 16v battery pack I have.

Officially White's can't endorse a 16v battery due to the increased chances of component wear and heat generated by the large caps on the board.

The 18650's diameter prevents use in this waterproof case without a slight modification (2 minutes of Dremel action) on the inside of the case. This may void your warranty.

The 14500's have the right size to use in a battery holder but usually come out about 750mAh. You could do 4 x 2, get 14.8 volts out of it but only have 1500 mAh. Less time to hunt than the OEM pack.

All of these things are options for intrepid DIYers, but our goals were 1) release this in a timely manner before the competition 2) keep the price of the detector reasonable and 3) don't push the hardware to the point of failure.

I know it's not ideal, but at the worst you can carry an extra battery in a waterproof case or baggie with your wallet/keys/phone. And at least you will still have a nice deep seeking PI before fall of 2018.

This project is more of a "Huh, that's a good idea. Why wasn't this done before?" vs. making a huge engineering project out of it.

• Like 4