White's... What Is Going On Please With The TDI Beach Hunter?

Tony

On 8/16/2018 at 11:27 PM, Tony said:

If only there was a way to connect/solder a generic power lead to the actual internal detector's battery contacts and then use whatever custom NiMH or Li-Ion battery pack that will fit inside the battery area.

Thoughts on using a high quality silver based epoxy/adhesive to electrically connect a power lead to the detector's battery contacts?

One thing you don't mention but is a constraint/consideration/requirement is mechanically securing the rogue battery pack inside the case.  I've modified the standard pack (blue one which takes standard AA's) with leads to an external AA holder so I can up the voltage.  (This wouldn't work for the new water-tight version but is just peachy for the standard TDI/SL.)  I also have one of the RNB lithium packs which runs at 12V but has longer operating life between recharges.

There's always a tradeoff when doing mods which void the warranty.  Obviously it's up to each owner to make that decision.

9 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

One thing you don't mention but is a constraint/consideration/requirement is mechanically securing the rogue battery pack inside the case.  I've modified the standard pack (blue one which takes standard AA's) with leads to an external AA holder so I can up the voltage.  (This wouldn't work for the new water-tight version but is just peachy for the standard TDI/SL.)  I also have one of the RNB lithium packs which runs at 12V but has longer operating life between recharges.

There's always a tradeoff when doing mods which void the warranty.  Obviously it's up to each owner to make that decision.

My plan is to use the 4x18650 holder (secured with 3M velcro to the inside of the battery compartment) and then connect directly to the detector's battery contact points via insulated mini alligator clips. It might be a bit tricky to reach down there to the contact points but it is possible. Failing that, then still use the 4x18650 battery holder (electrically connected within the standard AA holder)....and then slide on in. Standard AA holder will need some modding so the 18650 pack can fit in okay (height clearance).

We shall see......?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tony said:

...connect directly to the detector's battery contact points via insulated mini alligator clips.

This sounds good, but I think there might be a better clip than an alligator, for a) more intimate electrical contact, and b) better mechanical stability.  I certainly like the direction you are going here.  Please take some pics of the setup when you get it ready.  A lot of people would like to take this route.

I shall have a good look when I go down to my local electronics store. I have also seen mini alliagtor clips that have an adjustable screw that provides extra security. There are also those female spade style connectors that could possibly be used...just find the right size and maybe very lightly crimp if necessary.

..........just need the detector first !

Hoping they will be for sale soon as they are available for pre-order by a few dealers in the USA.

• 2 weeks later...

there's something to motivate - replacement battery pack li-ion 18650 and battery dimensions - so it will not be a problem to do 4x 18650, or 6X 18650 ... maybe even more ...2007937673_august4iphone5S033_DxO.jpg.a00de2ebcfc0d264ad97cca9c39753da.jpg

• Like 3

• 11 months later...