mn90403

Beach Patch Hunting (4 Rings For The Nox)

Wow, totally awesome finds.:ohmy:

Now that's one haul of change for that stretch of beach!  Great hunt!  GaryC/Oregon Coast

Thanks for looking and the replies.

I should note that I gridded this beach for about 2 hours and if it was 100 yards that is stretching it.  I 'worked' it like a well hunted gold patch ... well, I still need to slow down on my gold patches you guys tell me!

Mitchel

Good job and nice quantity. I used to have the patience to grid while water hunting but lost it somewhere along the way. Now days a GPS track of my hunts would look like a 2 year olds drawing. LOL

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Gerry in Idaho
      I had actually commented/pics some photos of finds on anothers post that was similar, but realized I did not want to steal his thunder.
      In my part of the country our lakes draw down each Winter/Spring to make room for the up and coming Spring/Summer runoff.  This allows for some detectable areas though maybe not as perfect as beaches.  Well when you live 500+ miles from the Coast you learn to adapt and find opportunities some others don't think of.  Here is a quick story of a trip to a well known high country lake thousands visit each year. 
      I was heading to NV to do our 1st of the year 3 days Field Training Trip on Gold Detectors.  Sometimes I like heading down 3 days to a week early to get some time alone.  Not that I do not enjoy detecting with others, as those who know me, will fess.. I actually prefer enjoying a swing with other like minded seekers.  (hints the 3 days training we offer) This allows me a variety of accomplishments if desired.  Sometimes testing a new model of detector, or coil.  Other occasions I could be actually Prospecting for new areas and greener pastures for future hunts.  Or I usually end up seeking an early coin/trinket from the trashy rustic RR stops along my course there, even though I have hunted them many times over.
      Getting down to Rye Patch and not feeling it (got to have the gut feeling it is the right site), I drove on past and kept the truck/trailer heading West on I-80.  
      Lake Tahoe was on my mind as was a nice gold ring or two and always a silver coin as consolation. Pulling my camp trailer all the way up (Boise 2730' - Lake Tahoe 6225') found me in snow and not just a dusting.  Not thinking all the way through my last minute change (I should have called 1st) left a lump in my throat as I drove around trying to find an open area for my 50' combo to settle for the night.  Now is not a good time to find out most of the camp sites on the CA side were still snowed in and closed.  I spoke with a Forest Service lady the 2nd day as I ended up sleeping over night at a school parking lot in Kings Beach and she told me of 2 camping sites they just plowed.  She was certainly a trip saver for me.
      Finding my way that afternoon to said site and paying the daily fees to camp (nothing is free in CA), I was eager to get out in the water.  Mistake #2  (no wet suite as I had not planned a dip in the snow banks of the chilling Tahoe waters.  Heck, I'm USMC...just do it!! was my thought and desire.  Shorts and tennis shoes is all I needed, lasted about 45 minutes and 15 targets, which none were gold or silver of choice and the day was shot.  Certainly was one of my cold/numbest & dumbest water/beach hunts I have dipped.   
      2nd day I came back with a new plan and hunted gravels/rocks along the banks (out of the water) and after many scratches, digs and picking...YES.. scored a nice heavy yellow metal ring. 
      Interesting how they stack the rocks on the shoreline, so I took a few picks of my stacked 3030 next someones artwork, heck why not?
      On a side note: If ever around there and you enjoy smooth dark ale beer, a World Beer Cup Gold Medal Winner is by far my favorite.  Double Nut Brown Ale made by Mammoth Brewing Company is serious winner.
      A couple days later as I was picking more signals in the rocks along the shoreline, this nice black disc appears.  Did not even realize it was a coin at 1st, but when I turned it over I could read "ONE DIME".  Ended up being my oldest coin to date from Lake Tahoe, an 1856 US Seated Liberty Dime.
      So if you know of an old high country lake or swimming hole...or just want to try something different, maybe this short story will inspire?  At least the dark ale lovers get a tip of beer greatness.
      And be sure to plan appropriately...and let others know where you'll be.

• By Hwang
      Are you planning to hunt the beach?
      Have you ever traveled a long distance and have been disappointed by the accumulation of sand?
      Search for the beach you want to visit in Instagram.

Recent posts can help you understand the state of the beach without having to go directly.
      You can see almost real-time beach images with uploaded photos by Instagram users. 
      Only popular beaches can see your recent photos.
      I choose the beach in this way.
      Sometimes you may find yourself in another person's instagram.

• By Gerry in Idaho
      As some of you know, I head south each winter with a few clients and have some sun in the fun, with a few stiff drinks to kill any bacteria on my ice.  I always take a detector and sometimes even test a few for manufactures (like I did last year with the TDI Beach Hunter).  Anyway, I seem to find interesting metal objects in my scoop and on occasion they are still moving (that is for another story).  So here are a few photos of finds and laughs.
      1st pic of at least 10 different countries and some of their coins.  Some of them I know others I'll need to look up in a book some day.
      2nd is a waterproof Fugi camera.  I took the card out and guess what was on it?  Now here is a weird twist.  There was video footage of me metal detecting.  They actually filmed me.
      3rd is a gold plated miniature brass shovel.  Now I know there are some serious gold diggers walking those beaches, but now they seem to wear a shovel?  I guess that should make it easy for the old guy to figure out their intent?
      4th is an interesting piece.  I thought it was an aluminum dog whistle but blowing on it numerous times has not produced a peep yet?  Maybe one of those secret silent ones?  My other thought was some kind of mini magnifier, but each time I look through I can't see anything.  Sure does have an odd smell though.
      5th.  Is a Samsung phone.  I've found a few throughout the years and you better have a serious scoop to reach them as sometimes the detector will go near 2 feet deep.  I realize it is not a ring, but I also know a Rolex watch could be down there too.
      I'll be posting some of the jewelry later on as I am still getting caught up with customer emails and phone calls to get them detectors.
      Until next post, enjoy and if you know any info of my finds, please chime in.

• By mn90403
      Late this afternoon after the rain had stopped and the tide was coming in I was able to get out for a 2 hour hunt on the beach.  We've had a storm but the wave effect was not as great as it could have been.  When I started detecting I noticed some dig holes both old and new.  I found a few quarters missed by those and I jumped over to a beach I know well.  It had very few targets.  Too bad because when things are right I've found some nice rings there.  
      I went back to where I had found the quarters and started gridding getting a few of the pennies and a couple of the micro-jewelry pieces.  Some of them were difficult to pinpoint and they went through my wire scoop and they were hard to see with my old eyes. (I still have really good long range but reading ...)  On one of the targets I had to get down on my knees and find the target.  I thought it looked like a little pearl stud.  It was very small against the sand and all the trash from the rains.  When I got home and looked at it with a couple of reading glasses it says .925 silver and it only weighs .15g!  I think that is the smallest piece of silver I've ever found.  
      That piece and a couple of other targets today made me learn a better pinpointing method.  I now back my coil below the target until I can't hear it.  I then move it up until I can hear the fringe sounds (this is the 11 inch coil).  When I hear it I believe it to be at the edge of the round of the coil at 12 o'clock.  If it doesn't lock on the target then I go at a 90 degree angle and try it again.  It has greatly reduced my 'random' scooping I was doing when the target was in the center of the coil.
      I gridded this little unworked area a bit longer and then I had to strike out for more know beaches.  I was thinking about the other thread on how to know a ring from trash when I got a different sound.  It was not a coin sound or at least a normal coin sounding target.  I dug it and indeed it was different.  It was a clue!  (Please guess at what my 'clue' was.  It is in the picture.)
      This made me circle near that target.  If that was there then ??  Sure enough I got a 15 (beach 1, 22) and I had HOPE!  I dug down a couple of scoops and then the signal started jumping a bit.  This seems to happen to me often when there is black sand and I'm within 30 feet of the water.  Water did not fill the hole but I had to widen it to get down to 8 inches and get the target out.  I saw the edge ... YES ... hope answered.  A few people are around taking pictures so I carefully put it in my pouch.  (When I got this one home it says .585 and it weighs 7.2 grams!)  Of course I circled and gridded without any other targets.  It wasn't a 'patch.'  Darn.
      My reason for heading this direction on the beach was because the waves were focused ahead of me because of the wind.  I wanted to get to the spot on the beach with the most energy but that would be a mile or so up the beach.  There was not enough time so I circled back in the direction of the ring find and I stayed on the same 'line' until I decided to dig yet another penny.  It was in the water's edge and down about 10 inches and instead of a penny it was my second ring of the day.  It is a fun find but not of value.  It was corroded before I removed it with vinegar.  That was pretty much the hunt.
      I'm very impressed the Equinox 800 could find such small silver on a wet salt beach but hey, it finds tiny lead pellets all over the desert too!
      Mitchel

• By schoolofhardNox
      Finally had a chance to get out to one of my better silver beaches. With the extreme cold about a week ago, and along with the high winds, I missed some of the record low tides in my area. Wednesday was the first time out and I was hoping the now normal tides didn't wash too much sand back on the beach. Lucky the sand was not frozen, so I was good to go. I had the GPX set up the best I could with all the train interference, and took breaks when the EMI was just too much to handle. Managed these goodies. No gold, but enough of silver to make the trip worth while. 2 quarters, (SLQ and Washington), 9 dimes, (Mercury and Roosevelt), 19 Wheats and 6 copper Memorials, and a '29 Buffalo. The layer I was able to get into was around the early 50's to 60's. I was itching to get out and hunt, so I really didn't care what I found. I did dig a lot of other targets as well, including 3 silver plated spoons (a common beach find) that were 18+ inches deep. They were a reminder that I have to get back to my other duties, as I had just picked up 2 full pickup loads of spoons, forks, and knives for my small recycling business and I needed to work on them.  Weather was great, and coin size targets were at reasonable depths of 8-12". Finally nice to see the waves and breathe that (cold) shore air

• By Steve Herschbach
      Published on Jan 12, 2019 by Gaptain's Metal Detecting Vlog