Do You Remember Your Old Detectors?

Ah, yes, the RB7 Red Barron, found quite a bit of gold with one of those. Had mine hip mounted. They had a damned good discriminator.

• Like 3

My first half decent detector was the Minelab XT17000 with the round and elliptical coil, plus a whopping big 18" coil that I'm guessing was originally from an Australian made Midas detector.  I really didn't do that machine justice at the time, being new to prospecting and lack of the internet meant a pretty big learning curve trying to locate anything of worth in the field.  I was actually after a Whites GM3 at the time, though didn't own one till many years later.    

xt17000.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Reg Wilson said:

Ah, yes, the RB7 Red Barron, found quite a bit of gold with one of those. Had mine hip mounted. They had a damned good discriminator.

There you go, about the RB7s discriminator, I found the faster you swung the coil (in discrim) the deeper and more accurate was its discrimination. Sounds a bit suss I know, but that was my finding.

Goldpick I too found the 17000 was no slouch, although mostly operated in manual GB the auto GB was a quick, easy and accurate way to get it GBed.