Sign in to follow this  
kiwijw

A Quick Afternoon Detect

wow, you'd think it would be impossible for any detector to get that nugget at that depth being that tiny, incredible.  I bet you had your hopes up for a biggin' with that depth.

Skiing was brilliant, perfect snow and the nicest day. My daughter and I made it to the top of the mountain for the first time ever so pretty proud of ourselves.

Here are a couple of photos from up near the top, look at all that gold country down below!! How I'd love to roam those mountains with my detector.

20180818_152413.thumb.jpg.80f13f1e5a39dcdcaf027ce0f188afef.jpg20180818_152347.thumb.jpg.04169d1131c18f0735d0a0f960ed85e5.jpg

If your eyes are good enough you could probably see John's house in that photo ūüôā

• Like 4

Twas a mint day for sure. Our house is to left off the pic of that river (The Shotover) in the middle left. I thought you were skiing from the top all the time. :biggrin:

5 hours ago, phrunt said:

wow, you'd think it would be impossible for any detector to get that nugget at that depth being that tiny, incredible. 

Not the mighty Zed. It was a very very iffy signal to start with & while it did brighten up it was never a screamer so I knew it wasn't going to be a bigger bit. Nothing like the last couple. But they weren't big either....in the real picture of things. They could always be bigger :biggrin: Time to watch the All Blacks kick Australia's arse in the first Bledisloe Cup match.

Pre match Haka (Maori war challenge)

JW :smile:

All Blacks won. 38 - 13¬†ūüĎć

• Like 1

Ahh this photo, this is where John lives, lucky bugger!

20180818_152345.thumb.jpg.8c56527608d6481a409496ae9da234c4.jpg

Nah, the lift we were doing took us about 1/3 of the way up.  We were adventurous yesterday and took the lift that goes smack to the top.

Yep that's us somewhere in among those houses.

That photo & your last photo in your first post show the effects of glaciation having carved through the area. You will notice in the green area how the hills & high ground have been rounded off by the ice grinding over the schist bedrock. The ice flowing from right to left & branching off to the top right between those mountain rangers where the lake is now. Even the sides of those mountains have been ground smooth to quite a height. I would say the ice would have been at about the snow line & just the tops of the mountains poking up escaping the ices destruction. Hence the tops still being sharp & jagged. In the above photo the mountain range in the top distance is the Remarkables Mountain range & the valley you are looking into in the middle is where the Remarkables ski field is.

53 minutes ago, phrunt said:

We were adventurous yesterday and took the lift that goes smack to the top.ÔĽŅ

You ARE a big boy now.....:biggrin:

Cheers

• Like 2

I am going up your favourite creek today. I have to finish a bit at work for our slab concrete pour tomorrow & work is on the way & not far from said creek. As you know. I know you have thrashed it but I do reckon there was another piece of gold in that hole where I got my couple of bits. I will find out by taking the right recovery gear this time. A crevice sucker, & I don't mean me. Sucker that is, but that is debatable :biggrin:. Feel free to pop along if you are at loose ends.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kiwijw said:

I am going up your favourite creek today. I have to finish a bit at work for our slab concrete pour tomorrow & work is on the way & not far from said creek. As you know. I know you have thrashed it but I do reckon there was another piece of gold in that hole where I got my couple of bits. I will find out by taking the right recovery gear this time. A crevice sucker, & I don't mean me. Sucker that is, but that is debatable :biggrin:. Feel free to pop along if you are at loose ends.

I would of jumped at it JW but we have visitors for the day ūüė쬆 If you were going up the creek tomorrow I'd be there!

I just got back. It was bloody cold. Still in frost & most unpleasant. My hole had filled up with silt & fine gravels. I scraped it out, filled it with water & got the crevice sucker into it. Long story short....nothing. That was really the only reason I went there but I did go further up & had a bit of a sweep over some bedrock areas but my heart wasn't in it. I stuck with the GB2. That big rock where you found your first bit, someone has cleaned it out around it down to smooth bedrock. Was that like that the last time you went up? I reckon it would be worth moving that big rock.  Cheers

5 minutes ago, kiwijw said:

I just got back. It was bloody cold. Still in frost & most unpleasant. My hole had filled up with silt & fine gravels. I scraped it out, filled it with water & got the crevice sucker into it. Long story short....nothing. That was really the only reason I went there but I did go further up & had a bit of a sweep over some bedrock areas but my heart wasn't in it. I stuck with the GB2. That big rock where you found your first bit, someone has cleaned it out around it down to smooth bedrock. Was that like that the last time you went up? I reckon it would be worth moving that big rock.  Cheers

Yes, it sure is cold... all snow melt at the moment after that recent snow storm too I bet, it takes a bit to be motivated in there at the moment, I struggled to want to stay when I went purple but I have extra motivation as its over a 2 hour drive round trip so I had to stay¬†ūüôā

It wasn't me that cleaned that area out, so someone's been there very recently.  Probably saw the posts on it and went for an explore.

Should have a go at moving the big rock, a giant big metal pole I guess....? ?¬† I'm not finished with that creek yet, but I think I'll leave it until it warms up ūüėĄ

At least you had a nice day for it, it was overcast the day I went.  I would of taken the Nox and 6" though, at least if you drop it in the water you're safe! 

There is another rock there I know of that sounds off on a detector in a tiny spot on it, it's a wonder you didn't find that as it's got my pick hit marks all over it from trying to break it out.

It's a shame you didn't get anything though, but I was only just there a couple of weeks ago and found nothing and I was there quite a few hours.

I checked your hole the last time I was there, I didn't even get a signal in it.

Simon