Any Good Advice For Southern Oregon?

Hi there folks, I have been prospecting for the better part of two years now (I’m 23) and have for the most part stuck to my grandparents property in California finding pickers and occasional small nuggets. I’m now living in Eugene going to school at the university and trying to find the time to get out and put my SDC to work. From what I have heard there is pretty great gold in Southern Oregon and I’m just putting the feelers out to see if anyone might have some useful advise or resources that could point me in the right direction. I’d also like to start making connections with folks in the community so feel free to let me know if you would like to let a young guy tag along or if you have a need for a big truck 

-Hayden 

• Like 1

I have never prospected in Oregon so can’t help you directly. However, to get started here are some locations:

Oregon Gold Placers

Most of these areas will have mining claims or land management restrictions. A good place to start learning about these is:

MyLandMatters.org

Finally, here is an article describing how I go about looking for gold, with New Mexico used as an example:

Determining Where To Prospect For Gold Nuggets?

I hope this helps get you started.

• Like 3

Hayden,  I feel your nugget withdrawl pain.  I too am a So. Cal. transplant hunting the deserts there.  Finding a local prospecting club seems to be a problem with me along the coast.  I put myself in a place where there just isn't much gold history along my part of the coast.  Way up the coast yes, way down the coast yes, Way, way east yes.  But not many clubs to attend to get viable information from.  I too had a 2300 but sold it because I left my deserts.  Opted for the Nox and 6" coil hoping for some stream gold action.  None of yet but still researching it.  If you find something keep me in the loop.  Can always use a partner.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

On 8/18/2018 at 7:30 PM, Creekboy said:

Hi there folks, I have been prospecting for the better part of two years now (I’m 23) and have for the most part stuck to my grandparents property in California finding pickers and occasional small nuggets. I’m now living in Eugene going to school at the university and trying to find the time to get out and put my SDC to work. From what I have heard there is pretty great gold in Southern Oregon and I’m just putting the feelers out to see if anyone might have some useful advise or resources that could point me in the right direction. I’d also like to start making connections with folks in the community so feel free to let me know if you would like to let a young guy tag along or if you have a need for a big truck 

-Hayden 

There is detectable gold up the Calapooia, Quartzville Creek, and then lots down in the Grants Pass area. But there is a lot of private/claimed land and the residents of Jefferson can be strong enforcers of claim boundaries.

Best bet is to do research and scouting before detecting as online info can be inaccurate sometimes, at least in my experience.

• Like 3

Thank you all for the responses and info, ill message you when I get some time Gary. This is the second time I have heard about quartzville so I’ll check it out. Would you say the wolf creek area is a good place to start down south? 

I have heard of Quartzville. My family lives in Bend and I have been trying to make it to a claim in the area of Quartzville. I'm not sure if it is against the rules to talk abut membership clubs. The Gpaa has a claim slightly outside of Sweethome. There are also about 5 claims in Lane county. Now I have only had marginal success at their claims here in Northern California. However, they often work out as a good starting point. When I lived in Medford a number of years ago I remember reading a story in the local paper about a guy metal detecting a large gold nugget. If memory serves me, it was an 10oz nugget. 

Also, just outside of gold hill on I5, is a open to the public mining site. It is on the Rogue River. I have seen people using high bankers when I have been there.

• Like 2

On 8/19/2018 at 10:38 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

I have never prospected in Oregon so can’t help you directly. However, to get started here are some locations:

Oregon Gold Placers

Most of these areas will have mining claims or land management restrictions. A good place to start learning about these is:

MyLandMatters.org

Finally, here is an article describing how I go about looking for gold, with New Mexico used as an example:

Determining Where To Prospect For Gold Nuggets?

I hope this helps get you started.

Interesting. Thanks Steve.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I’m in Roseburg and will be going to Josephine county soon if any of you are interested in the discovering of some of the areas around there, message me!

• Like 1