Eqx 06 Coil Review For Gold Prospecting

Lunk

12 hours ago, fredmason said:

Nice gold, Lunk…

do you think this was gold you missed with the Monster? just curious....

fred

As a matter of fact Fred, I did hunt the area very thoroughly with the GM 1000 last summer, and while I did find gold at that time, these nuggets, for whatever reasons, remained undetected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, strick said:

Thanks for the report Lunk. Just got mine in the other day. I'll be trying it soon in the parks and relic areas. 

strick

Thanks Strick,

Good luck and let us know how you do.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kiwijw said:

Nice going Lunk & great report. Thanks. ? l'm with Fred, 

Personally, I wouldn't have thought the GM 1000 would have missed those. Your finds are huge compared to my first outing with the 6".

20180805_12435720180805_191924

T'is a deadly little coil for sure. Love mine.

Best of luck out there

JW :smile: 

Thanks JW,

Agreed...I certainly wasn’t expecting much after the Monster, but, as the late, great Robert Palmer used to sing, “...the proof is irrefutable.”

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Oh Lunk.....you broke my heart with that 1st nugget photo, so cool.  Fabulous report and sharing of the Hot Rocks too.  Seeing the tiny pickers pulled from the same site as you used your other machines certainly attests to the NOX capabilities.  Now if I can get some more coils in, I'll be able to put a few more smiles on customers faces.

Keep it up my friend.

Thanks Gerry,

Hopefully Minelab gets another batch of coils to you soon.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The 6" coil is a winner for sure. Thanks for the report Lunk!

Paul, the 11" works fine. There is nothing wrong using a sensitivity setting of 12. An Equinox with the sensitivity set so that the machine is stable will outperform some other units that run stable at full sensitivity levels. Just because a sensitivity setting is at 50% of max does not mean the machine is getting half the performance of other machines running full out. It just means they have a lower gain level to start with.

Personally even with the small coil I prefer stable settings. The last location where I worked the Equinox I was able to scrub the ground just like running a Gold Bug 2 while in Gold Mode and sensitivity set at 18. Once on the gold I may go higher, but don't be surprised if hot rocks pop and coil knock sensitivity increases at higher sensitivity levels.

Sage advice as always, Steve.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lunk said:

Agreed...I certainly wasn’t expecting much after the Monster, but, as the late, great Robert Palmer used to sing, “...the proof is irrefutable.”

? Robert Palmer is dead???  I had to Google that to make sure you were talking about the same bloke I was thinking about. Died years ago apparently.  News doesn't get to Oz real fast since the Overland Telegraph line got a kink in it in '88!

Nice gold Lunk.   Did I hear you say I should sell my gold monster to fund a 6" Equinox coil, have money left over and make the wife happy?  Not a bad idea at all  ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Lunk,

Thanks for your report.  Nice gold and I'd say good depth.

My experience in the gold fields with the 6" coil have been unrewarding so far.  I've found tiny wire and tiny lead and been thrown off my numbers many, many times.  I was out in a trashed patch Saturday night and part of Sunday with no joy.  I must also admit that half the time I was using my 7000 and didn't find any gold either.

I'd like to know more about your settings before I try to 'detail' my experiences.

Mitchel

• Like 1

Lunk,

Thanks for the report, and congrats on the great gold with that 6" coil dude. I also got a 6" for my nox800, love the NOX compared to the CTX, which I used for years. It hits great on gold, and have found some nice old coins and artifacts in the desert with it also.

Neat little trick I learned not to long ago, from the prospecting, park, and field modes,  if you are getting an iffy signal, like nickels, or even trash, place the machine in all metal mode and pump coil above target, a trashy target will usually dip into the negative, as your gold and nickels will usually stay in the 1 and above.

Dave

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DolanDave said:

Lunk,

Thanks for the report, and congrats on the great gold with that 6" coil dude. I also got a 6" for my nox800, love the NOX compared to the CTX, which I used for years. It hits great on gold, and have found some nice old coins and artifacts in the desert with it also.

Neat little trick I learned not to long ago, from the prospecting, park, and field modes,  if you are getting an iffy signal, like nickels, or even trash, place the machine in all metal mode and pump coil above target, a trashy target will usually dip into the negative, as your gold and nickels will usually stay in the 1 and above.

Dave

Dave,

I like this 'trick' but I have to tell you I have a couple of poker chips with pieces of gold on them.  One of them shows 6-7 on the Nox with the 6" and 11" coil.  When I pump on them they will go negative!  I was sold these test chips years ago at a GPAA show in Vegas.

I have found a specimen with the 11" that does not waver from 1.  I was hoping to find more 1s out in Barstow over the weekend but nada.

Mitchel 

32 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

Dave,

I like this 'trick' but I have to tell you I have a couple of poker chips with pieces of gold on them.  One of them shows 6-7 on the Nox with the 6" and 11" coil.  When I pump on them they will go negative!  I was sold these test chips years ago at a GPAA show in Vegas.

I have found a specimen with the 11" that does not waver from 1.  I was hoping to find more 1s out in Barstow over the weekend but nada.

Mitchel 

Those darn Vegas Chips ... ? , are you going on that private tour with Jim Straight near Randsburg? Bet you could find some nice little pieces there ?