Eqx 06 Coil Review For Gold Prospecting

Lunk

Dave,

Jim and his friend have a plan to show a few people what caused gold to be in the Randsburg area.  It is a geology field trip of sorts, kinda like Ray Mills does in Redding.  (I hope Ray is ok.  I haven't heard from him after the fire.  I left a message.)  You don't take a detector or a dry washer with you.

I'm hoping I'll be one of the lucky ones that is invited but many more requests have been made than time they have available to them.

Mitchel

4 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I'd like to know more about your settings before I try to 'detail' my experiences.

Mitchel, I haven’t strayed too far from the stock settings of Gold 1. I hunt in the all-metal “horseshoe “ mode unless the hot rocks get too plentiful, in which case I changed the discrimination pattern to reject only -7, -8 and -9, while accepting everything else. I’ve also set both Iron Bias and Threshold Level to zero.

Hopefully you’ll break your dry spell soon.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Dave,

Jim and his friend have a plan to show a few people what caused gold to be in the Randsburg area.  It is a geology field trip of sorts, kinda like Ray Mills does in Redding.  (I hope Ray is ok.  I haven't heard from him after the fire.  I left a message.)  You don't take a detector or a dry washer with you.

I'm hoping I'll be one of the lucky ones that is invited but many more requests have been made than time they have available to them.

Mitchel

Jim knows exactly where the Mojave Nugget was found out there.... hope he gives the pointy finger to someone ?

21 hours ago, kiwijw said:

Hi there Lunk, Did you try Gold 2 mode at all? I haven't, but will next time out with it. Cheers

Good luck out there. Or should that be, Good Lunk out there. :biggrin:

JW :smile:  

JW, I do have Gold 2 on my user button with, the same settings as Gold 1, so that I can toggle back and forth for comparisons on targets. Perhaps it’s just the ground I’m hunting in, but I haven’t noticed much difference between the two modes so far.

Yes, good point Simon; no wonder I wasn’t noticing a difference between the two.?

On 8/21/2018 at 9:47 PM, phrunt said:

The only difference between Gold 1 and Gold 2 is the recovery speed, everything else is exactly the same.  

My understanding is the lower recovery speed may give more depth but sweep speed would need to be slower too.  I'm going to try it out next time I'm gold hunting.

If you've made them the same settings Lunk, they'll be the same mode if you changed the recovery speed of Gold 2 to match Gold 1.

minelab-equinox-gold-modes-compared.thum

Currently being discussed here

Was just looking at the same page in my users manual, and it shows all settings - even the recovery speed - are exactly the same between Gold 1 & Gold 2; perhaps it’s been updated since I downloaded it?

1C9DE4DC-C3C7-4EC5-B373-1A20872D180C.thumb.png.00dd105806595cf676e6acb3a6e058f1.png

On 8/25/2018 at 7:35 AM, Lunk said:

Was just looking at the same page in my users manual, and it shows all settings - even the recovery speed - are exactly the same between Gold 1 & Gold 2; perhaps it’s been updated since I downloaded it?

That’s correct - the early manual has misprints that are being corrected as they are found. Another reason not to print the manual immediately.

Latest Equinox Owner’s Manual

Page 62...

minelab-equinox-gold-modes-compared.jpg.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So, the only difference between Gold 1 and 2 is the weighting that is applied between the 20 and 40 kHz frequencies in the electronics? 

Assuming that mode 2 is more weighted to 40 kHz and therefore hotter on small gold?