Eqx 06 Coil Review For Gold Prospecting

Lunk

2 hours ago, Northeast said:

So, the only difference between Gold 1 and 2 is the weighting that is applied between the 20 and 40 kHz frequencies in the electronics? 

Assuming that mode 2 is more weighted to 40 kHz and therefore hotter on small gold?

What makes you think there is a frequency weighting difference between Gold Mode 1 and Gold Mode 2? From EQUINOX Technologies (Part 3):

Let’s assess Multi-IQ for the different Detect Mode search profiles:

• Park 1 and Field 1 process a lower weighted frequency combination, as well as using algorithms that maximise ground balancing for soil, to achieve the best signal to noise ratio. Hence being most suited for general detecting, coin hunting, etc.
  • Park 2 and Field 2 process a higher weighted combination of the Multi-IQ band while still ground balancing for soil. Therefore they will be more sensitive to higher frequency (low conductive) targets, but potentially more susceptible to ground noise.
  • Beach 1 also processes a lower weighted combination, BUT uses different algorithms to maximise ground balancing for salt. Hence being most suited for both dry and wet sand conditions.
  • Beach 2 processes a very low weighted frequency combination, using the same algorithms as Beach 1 to maximise ground balancing for salt. This search profile is designed for use in the surf and underwater.
  • Gold 1 and Gold 2 process the higher weighted combination of the Multi-IQ band while still ground balancing for soil. However, they use different setting parameters better suited for gold nugget hunting.

The way I read this is that there are five "weighting schemes" being employed, with any differences beyond that merely in the default settings. In other words, no difference between Gold Mode 1 and Gold Mode 2 except for the Recovery Speed default setting. That's just my interpretation though so I am not going to argue the point.

• Like 2

Steve, unfortunately I think you may be correct  ?

When I first read the manual I think I had read it as they had different weightings between all the modes 1 and 2.  Going by that little list some are the same and some are different and it is the other parameters and algorithms that further differentiate the modes.

Like you, I certainly won't be arguing a point as I'm sure the only people that really know the weightings are Minelab. 

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Gold 1 and Gold 2 process the higher weighted combination of the Multi-IQ band

I guess the thing I always wondered (and always will) is if these higher weighted combinations are exactly the same or possibly differ 10 or 20 % between 1 and 2?  Who knows and in the end it doesn't really matter ?

9 hours ago, kiwijw said:

That is pretty piss poor of Minelab really. Don't they proofread before sending off to the printer?

Lots of people proofread it, including me. Hopefully Minelab will achieve the level of inhuman perfection people expect of them someday. God forbid there be an error in an appendix in a very detailed manual.

The manuals come out as a pdf first and don’t get printed until later, just so errors like this can get fixed..... before sending off to the printer. 

On 8/26/2018 at 5:38 AM, Northeast said:

Steve, unfortunately I think you may be correct  ?

When I first read the manual I think I had read it as they had different weightings between all the modes 1 and 2.  Going by that little list some are the same and some are different and it is the other parameters and algorithms that further differentiate the modes.

Like you, I certainly won't be arguing a point as I'm sure the only people that really know the weightings are Minelab. 

I guess the thing I always wondered (and always will) is if these higher weighted combinations are exactly the same or possibly differ 10 or 20 % between 1 and 2?  Who knows and in the end it doesn't really matter ?

You can use a stronger preamp -rx in the -gold 2 program, and it may be slightly changed Sat, and the frequency can be bridged as in the gold 1 program, what changes in the recovery speed - whether you are Gold2 optimized for recovery speed 4 - but I would be glad if someone also verified it....

On 8/26/2018 at 6:08 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Lots of people proofread it, including me. Hopefully Minelab will achieve the level of inhuman perfection people expect of them someday. God forbid there be an error in an appendix in a very detailed manual.

The manuals come out as a pdf first and don’t get printed until later, just so errors like this can get fixed..... before sending off to the printer. 

Hi All,

Maybe it's just me and my eyes, but when I look the photos at pages 27 and 37, it looks to me the 11" coil has been attached the wrong way around (look at the location of  the cable attachment and the Minelab decals on the coil). ?

Not a big deal, it will still work, but the attachment of the cabel is way more prone to damage by bumping it when moving forward.

Greetings,

Bob'ke