Detecting Around A Surfaced Area

Nice gold!

So, what is a "surfaced" area?  Here in the US that would be an area covered in asphalt, concrete or similar.

Don't see any in the pictures so it must be something else.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey LipCa.    The top 2 photos the old timers have taken off about a foot of dirt to get to the orange dirt in the photos. I`m guessing there must have been a lot of gold to remove that much dirt over a pretty big area. That`s why I spent a heap of time detecting outside the surfaced area. I was hopeing to get a deeper bit that was down at the same level as the orange dirt. cheers Dave

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys.         This is the Google view of one of the surfaced areas at Moliagul. A lot of Victorian and eastern state prospectors would be familiar with that little square at the northern end of the surfacing. The Welcome Stranger Monument.

SDC13783 - Copy(1).jpg

SDC13825.jpg

• Like 3

On 8/19/2018 at 12:05 PM, fredmason said:

Nice of you to use a U.S. 50 cent piece for scale.

Good mnemonic I only learned recently:  US quarter is 1 inch diamter; US half dollar is 1 1/4 inch in diameter.  US dollar (the old format, so traditional silver dollars and Eisenhower dollars but not the Susan B. Anthonys nor the new bronze dollars) is 1 1/2 inch diameter.

• Like 3