The 600 Sniffs Out Some Stuff At A New Permission

Dan(NM)

I was invited by a buddy to hunt a permission that he scored a couple of weeks ago while out sight seeing with his wife. So, today we headed over to the place about an hour from my house to see if this old place would produce. The pictures tell a little history about the old house, our excitement was tempered by reality within the first hour ? 

The majority of finds were modern trash and clad, nothing what we had envisioned finding at a place surrounded by so much history. I finally scored a wheat which told me the place hadn't been hunted completely out by previous metal detectorist.  Three wheats and 40 minutes later I finally score a silver rosie, 1964 ? Well, it wasn't a complete loss after all. I hunted my way closer to the house and picked up a couple of Colorado tax tokens, it's always a treat to score a token or 2. 

While my buddy was talking to the owner of the place I decided to go back over an area I had hunted before and was rewarded with a 42 Washington quarter. My partner was not having a good day at all, he could not get his coil over anything worthwhile the entire morning. The owner had given us permission to hunt the old place next door, so we decided to go ahead and see if it might improve his luck somewhat. Well....it did for me anyway  lol...first target was a wheat and within 10 minutes I dug my second Washington quarter.

I was scanning along the side walk and got a nice soft repeatable 28-29, down at 8 1/2"  out comes what I thought was a Mexican coin, turned out to be a large brass token.  A couple more wheaties were found before we needed to head out for the hour long drive for me and 2 1/2 drive for my buddy.

We think that this small old town has been targeted in the past, especially the Dolan house, not one find dated the place and nothing there was deep. We did see a picture of the house back in the day, could be fill was brought in at some point and the older stuff was buried beyond the range of the machines.

Not a bad day overall, went home with some silver and some cool tokens to add to my stash. My settings were what I normally run when my time is limited and I want to maximize my hunt time.

Sens....20

2-Tone,

Tone break set to 22

Pitch set at 2 from -9 to 21

Recovery 3

Iron bias 0

Field 2

I'm debating whether or not to sell the 800 and just use the 600, for my type of hunting the 600 performs like a champ and gives the 800 a run for it's money.

sign.jpg

dolanhouse.jpg

clad.jpg

goodstuff.jpg

cleangoodies.jpg

trash.jpg

• Like 8

On 8/19/2018 at 6:28 PM, Dan(NM) said:

I'm debating whether or not to sell the 800 and just use the 600, for my type of hunting the 600 performs like a champ and gives the 800 a run for it's money.

You are slaying the coins Dan!

I spent some time beating the 600 drum because I am convinced that it is the true killer bargain. People keep comparing the Equinox models to detectors costing two or three times more money. That’s not how people shop - most people have a budget they want to stick with. And for under $600 with some shopping nothing else comes close to matching the 600 both for features and performance. The 800 gets all the attention but in my mind the 600 is the the one that really wows me. Anyone looking for a new full warranty detector under $600 the Equinox 600 is definitely the one to beat. It’s hard for me to understand why anyone would consider anything else in that price range.

• Like 4

Thank you Steve!  Knowing what I do now, I should have saved myself a couple of hundred bucks  and went for the 600 in the beginning. I still haven't used the WM08 or the headphones Minelab provided. I'm using wireless earbuds and doubt I'll use wired phones unless I go into the water. I bought the 600 to use while my 800 was being replaced by Minelab, for the second time, and haven't missed a beat with the 600. 

I have an Etrac as a backup as well and am really having a hard time deciding on which one to turn loose. I'll see how I feel once I get the 800 back, lol, I may keep both and dump the Etrac ?

Dan --

Great job on the finds; sounds like the permission wasn't quite what you'd hoped, but you managed to make it a reasonably good day anyway!

I hear you and Steve, about the 600.  I just picked one up slightly used, from a forum member here.  I'll be turning loose one of my CTX's, and replacing it with the 600.  I'll definitely keep my other CTX, but it, the 800, and a 600 should do me quite well!  I really love the Equinox.  It's a great machine for me.

Steve

• Like 2

Hello there Dan,

I congratulate you firstly on obtaining an awesome permission.  Right now i'm contemplating heading out around my locality to see if i can convince some field owners.  Ive done my local research and am sure there are good finds awaiting my arrival.  But IMO it takes lots of courage, positivity and research before i could even think about asking them.

Those finds are wonderful.  A big congrats to you Dan.

Andy.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Andy2640 said:

Hello there Dan,

I congratulate you firstly on obtaining an awesome permission.  Right now i'm contemplating heading out around my locality to see if i can convince some field owners.  Ive done my local research and am sure there are good finds awaiting my arrival.  But IMO it takes lots of courage, positivity and research before i could even think about asking them.

Those finds are wonderful.  A big congrats to you Dan.

Andy.

Thank you Andy!

The worst thing that can happen is they so no, you simply move on to the next one, more often than not, they say yes.  People are more open than you may realize. My motto is: "nothing ventured, nothing gained"  Sometimes the permissions absolutely suck, but, the ones that produce just energize your drive to get another one.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dan(NM) said:

We think that this small old town has been targeted in the past, especially the Dolan house, not one find dated the place and nothing there was deep. We did see a picture of the house back in the day, could be fill was brought in at some point and the older stuff was buried beyond the range of the machines.

I lean towards the latter -- fill covering older coins&relics.  I'll go further and speculate that the fill occurred in the late 1950's based upon the date+MM you show.  (Thanks for displaying the dates on the Wheaties.)

Another great day for you Dan!  Well done.  Congrats to your buddy for getting the permission.

• Like 1