Detecting In Small Creeks / VLF Vs SDC Vs GPZ

And

I found that the basalt bedrock in the immediate Chicken area was really hot.  In my early days in AK with a GP extreme I was able to find nuggets while the other guys that detected around me had difficulty with VLFs.  I have taken the SDC out there a couple of times and it really shined.  I have never found a nugget on Jack Wade though, just a lot of trash. 

You know what? Honestly I hardly ever make it out for a good detecting session like I want and lack the experience but let me tell you. I’ve had good conversations with phrunt, “Hi phrunt no offense” but let me give you my experience instead of opinion. Actually let me give you my opinion first. If you’re going to want to check numbers in order to keep track of black sands for a better chance of tracking possible prospects then get one of the latest greatest VLF machines that can run a small coil. They have the latest greatest technology for having small coils being super sensitive without having to move rocks out of the way which means you can read the numbers and make a solid decision, especially one that’s waterproof. Reading about all the “stats” will tell you information about what you’re looking for if you buy what you read. That also means you have to learn the machine and become a master of it and how to avoid different noises and signals such as hot rocks which is why I bought a P.I. Machine SDC2300 to avoid hotrocks. The last few times I made it out detecting I found it easier to not try and read numbers to make a guess. Just have patience and find/dig what you target... it’s a lot work and annoying but that’s what we do.  Personally I’d leave my “gold bug pro” gbp at home and keep moving rocks out of the way, digging all targets just to skip the hot rocks but I also want to get the equinox 800 or White’s 24k for a better chance at smaller targets. SDC2300 because it is a backpack machine automatically skipping hot rocks for the most part and also waterproof but a waterproof VLF for smaller gold and numbers. 

thank you guys!

I fixed my GMT rod and installed my 4x6inch shooter coil, as the original 6x10inch coils cable is also broken (I dont like the 4x6, as its very noisy, but it works). Last weekend we were sluicing and found again some nice gold with this setup ?. We would have missed it for sure without detector. So it works and I know my VLF quite well (> 10 years experience) and I'll keep my ancient GMT, for all the discussed advantages.

After my researches and according to your appreciated advices, there is only one logical result:

• The SDC2300 price doesn't way up the benefits compared to my VLF, which I know very well. Maybe a tiny bit more depth in our low mineralized ground, a bit more pratical, but 5-6 times more expensive and I'm not as used to it as to my VLF. Doesn't make sense to me with what I know now.
  • But it seems, the GPZ does open really new possibilites... .  I know, it's not exactly designed for our application, but maybe we have to change the application than ? . We will see...

Im going to say the Z is a bad choice for most creeks. You would be better off with a gpx and small 8x6 coil for creek hunts unless, you have flat bottom bedrock with minimal crags and cracks to allow use of  a large 14" coil.  The small coils will out-depth large coils because you can bring them in closer to the bedrock and stab the coil down into cracks. Thats my experience a least.

• Like 3

I've taken my SDC to the places where I usually pan and sluice and it wasn't able to detect the size of gold I was getting from the sluice box (very small specks/flakes). However, I'm yet to actually get right into the water with it and around some of the larger rocks, so that's not to say it wouldn't find stuff further out from where I usually work. The SDC is very sensitive. It will sound off on very small pieces of metal and you could be there five minutes at a time just trying to find what exactly it was that caused it to beep (shot gun pellets, fishing weights, small bits of tin foil etc). The best thing for me about the SDC is that it is a one piece machine that folds up small, isn't too heavy and is waterproof. Maybe you can borrow one to try, before buying yourself?

Alternatively, how about a top quality pinpointer? I'm not up on the latest tech, but maybe there is one that would detect small gold and it would enable you to get right into the cracks.

• 3 weeks later...

We now have a zed... ?

What I can say after our first days with experiments: we have a lot to learn... It's really an impressive instrument. But I think, we need quite a bit some time to get used to the new language of this detector (compared to our VLF). I'll keep you updated...

• Like 2

I was just thinking about this post and was going to say try getting the new Whites goldmaster 24k. It can track black sand leading you to good spots for sluicing or dredging, and will find small nuggets. The only downside to what you’re looking for in this detector is the housing isn’t completely waterproof.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Boogness said:

I was just thinking about this post and was going to say try getting the new Whites goldmaster 24k. It can track black sand leading you to good spots for sluicing or dredging, and will find small nuggets. The only downside to what you’re looking for in this detector is the housing isn’t completely waterproof.  

Yep, that's where the Gold Kruzer comes into the equation. 

• Like 2