Detecting In Small Creeks / VLF Vs SDC Vs GPZ

And

And - you remind me of my wife. 

wife: "Hey honey, which blouse do you like better the red one or the blue one?"

me: "I like the red one"

15 minutes later, what is she wearing?  the blue one!!!  Well why did you ask??  LOL

In all seriousness, And, I can still understand why you got the GPZ.  In my opinion it takes a little getting used to but it can find gold below half a grain.  Problem is (as others said) it does not have a small coil option.  That is really the only thing that really kills the reputation of this detector (other than insane cost).  It does not work well in rock creeks.  And what do most creeks have … rocks.  So I find this frustrating.  This is one reason I wish I kept my 5000 with the small coil.  Instead I had to get a GM1000 for these cases.  And I have not regretted it.

Good luck with that GPZ.  Comb this site especially hard.  It has many good GPZ tips and tricks.

Andyy

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Andyy said:

And - you remind me of my wife. 

wife: "Hey honey, which blouse do you like better the red one or the blue one?"

me: "I like the red one"

15 minutes later, what is she wearing?  the blue one!!!  Well why did you ask??  LOL

In all seriousness, And, I can still understand why you got the GPZ.  In my opinion it takes a little getting used to but it can find gold below half a grain.  Problem is (as others said) it does not have a small coil option.  That is really the only thing that really kills the reputation of this detector (other than insane cost).  It does not work well in rock creeks.  And what do most creeks have … rocks.  So I find this frustrating.  This is one reason I wish I kept my 5000 with the small coil.  Instead I had to get a GM1000 for these cases.  And I have not regretted it.

Good luck with that GPZ.  Comb this site especially hard.  It has many good GPZ tips and tricks.

Andyy

? ? ? I expected reactions like this. Sorry, we really appreciated your advices! Believe me, we discussed the topic seriously in my team. In fact, we now wear blue and red. We of course have the VLF (Whites GMT) still always with us. The GPZ doesn't replace it in our use case. But now we have both instruments with all its advantages and disadvantages.

Detecting with coil deeply under water is of course not the realm of the GPZ. We were fully aware of that, when we bought the GPZ. But there are many situations in small, shallow creeks, where the GPZ excells our VLF (what a surprise...).

Many thanks to Steve and the others for sharing the thoughts about GPZ settings and also for discussing the importance of prospecting knowledge vs settings. I think, we got the point, it fully coincides with our VLF experience... Reading all this discussions was inspiring and helpful.

• Like 2

On 9/15/2018 at 4:28 AM, Boogness said:

I was just thinking about this post and was going to say try getting the new Whites goldmaster 24k. It can track black sand leading you to good spots for sluicing or dredging, and will find small nuggets. The only downside to what you’re looking for in this detector is the housing isn’t completely waterproof.  

Absolutely! We already use the Whites GMT for more than ten years in the way you wrote... If somebody has to decide to buy a Goldmaster or a GPZ for creek prospecting, I clearly would recommend the Goldmaster or a similar detector type.

In our case, it was literally an extension of our range to have both a VLF and the GPZ...

ps: We were in the Wasilla area few weeks ago ?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If there is signs of human inhabitants I'd be using a VLF, It's going to hit finer bits than any other tech and in average soils it will match the PI's etc that can see small bits quite small and depending on the coil size it can them for depth,

In away this reminds me of the tales of Ganes Creek where some folks insisted using the SD/GP's back in the day but when the advice was followed the VLF user's had a much bigger/higher success rate,

There are 2 or 3 types of mood a person gets into when detecting, When we are hitting targets high and low we are on fire and we hear every target and even some that aren't there and some times we wonder about aimlessly missing and leaving targets in the ground, A couple of things can cause us to not be in the zone, One is the lack of targets and that causes us to doubt the machine or blame mineralization or any other excuse we can think up, And then there are those times when we have picked the wrong machine A (PI) and we spend days sometimes weeks walking about aimlessly digging junk because suddenly the best detector in the world is doing what it does best and that's finding metal, With our ears being over loaded with signals we start to ignore some of them, But we refuse to admit we are wrong and have chosen the wrong type of machine, As we justify it by saying to our selves "It cost 10x more than my VLF right so it's got to be better RIGHT ?  Yep that's right, there's just no Gold Here" Hours and even Days of digging junk can really do damage to how we see our hobby and then it starts to stop being fun,

But if we had been a bit smarter we would have tried using a VLF first just to check ground conditions and sift through the junk maybe pulling some good targets just to show for our efforts, This has an effect on our levels of concentration along with our enjoyment, It's nice to own these all powerful PI/Hybrid machines, But a VLF can ID good from bad making you good finds, They can speed up Target to Target times, they are a lot lighter to swing all day, And they put back the fun in detecting, Target size and depth are close to that of a good PI under the right conditions and the right Coil And it won't break the bank to own, The bonuses of owning a VLF far outweigh that of any other type of detector and they are the perfect introduction to the hobby.

J.   

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Hi I'm guessing by now you have made your choice I hint the exact same type of application you do and I used a modded gpx 4500 with the we 8x6 Sadie coil perfect for geting in tight places and I also run a vlf in the whites 24k gmt it's follow the pay streak comes in handy. 

I've used large coils on my gpx and found them useless in small creeks. The large rivers they can be used but you will miss lots because you just can't get them in the tight areas