Alaska Gold Forum Down

The first forum I ever frequented was the Alaska Gold Forum hosted by Jim Foley. After many years the forum appears to have shut down permanently, though a replacement format is in the works. I just got this email from Jim Foley:

"Subject: Forums Down Permanently"

"Email is the only way I have of communicating about the forums. As I expected and told everyone some time ago, something strange has happened at Best Boards whereby the owner could not be contacted and no one seems to know what happened to him.

Consequently, with no one at the helm the boards would go down at some point. This is that point. Now there is only a message that the account has been suspended when anyone tries to access the forums. I am sending this email to everyone I have an email address for, which is not everyone registered on the forums. So, if you will, please spread the word that the forums are down, I know about it and they will not ever come back as they were.

I am actively working to find, download and publish new forums. They will not have the same look , but will be fully operational and easy to use because I will make sure that any forum format I choose will be the best available. Please spread the word to anyone you have contact information for. I will send another email to this email list with a link to the new forums once I have new forums online. I hope to see you all online again in the very near future.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yes Steve, the New49ers forum, which Jim Foley also administers, is also down for good.  He’s working on getting another board/forum for this site as well

Mike

• Like 1

Don't ask me to explain it, but the forums are up again. There is no way to know if or how long they will be up. So if there is anything regarding past information that you want, you should find and save it immediately.

I am still working to get new forums up. I have a host and also have a provider for new forums. It just takes a lot of time to learn the new process of putting them up on the Internet. I am also working to try to migrate some, or all of the old posts into the new format.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Latest email from Jim....

"Our new club forums are now up and operational. You will have to register anew because I could not carry over the member list from the old forums. The address of the new forums is.  http://new49ers.x10host.com/phpBB3/"

Thanks for this Steve, your posting this will help a lot and is very generous of you.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Jim, you should run something like Teleport pro over the old forums to make a version that can be browsed offline on your computer so if you need it for later reference.  Obviously a normal backup is good but the offline browsing version would be handy.

http://www.tenmax.com/teleport/pro/home.htm

Thank you phrunt, I didn't even know anything like that existed. I'll look into it.

Happy to help Jim!

Website copiers/downloaders can come in handy. I have used a couple....

WebCopier which like Teleport is for sale but does have a trial period. You can try before you buy which is good, because a main difference with some of these things is ease of use. It worked well for me and mine is an old freeware version.

and then there is open source HTTrack, which I have used more recently, and again with good results.

The main thing is getting the settings right as a big site can take some time to download. The good news is you really can't go wrong. Just give it a try, and if the result is not what you expected, run it again.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Since we have you here Jim - is this a replacement for all the forums? Or just the club forums?

This is just for the New 49'ers board. I have to do the Alaska Gold Forums separately. I'll start working on those soon. Thanks for asking Steve.

This would have been simple if I just used the cookie cutter board they supply. But both the club board and the Alaska board have lots of custom design features on them.