Software Changes on GPZ

Hi Steve, guy's
I would just like to share some idea's of software up dates that minelab could easily make and either sell or supply to improve the GPZ.
If minlab is listening I would not mind paying for updates that improve the detector's performance or usability and I'm sure many others would like to be able to purchase updates on an on going basis and that minelab could have an on going income stream without any manufacturing costs only software development costs and by listerning to us the customers and tailoring updates to suit our needs\wants.
We the customer would benefit by getting a better detector without having to fork out for a whole new platform.
Win win if you ask me!

Any way here are a few ideas of mine for changes that I think would improve the Zed and make it even better.
I hope minelab is listerning!

1_ I would like more control over the audio settings like on the 5000, I was very disappointed when I picked up the zed and read the manual and realized that I didn't have the control that I had on the 5000.
So I would like full numerical 1_20 control of the stabilizer like on the 5000.
I would also like to have the audio type setting back as being able to change the audio curve to suit my circumstances and fine tune with the stabilizer, motion and target volume controls.

2_ I would like to have 10 user modes that I can assighn names and program both on the detector and via exchange so I can set up 10 different groups of settings for different circumstances, like on the ctx with the user modes.
And I would like to be able to assighn the modes to my user button so i can toggle between one user mode(groupe of settings) and the one one originally seleted.

3_ Full control of the settings in the excange2 software most notably the assighn user button function.

I think that the way the timings are setup now is an improvement over the 5k.
As once you understand what they (Gold type and Ground type) do minelab have given us more control over the front and back of the timings and we can now independently optimize for the target size and ground conditions so it is definatly a step in the right direction.

Any way thats my thoughts for now I would like to hear what you guys think, and hear any other ideas you guys might have.
Regards
Dale

• Like 3

Good idea but I don't think it will ever happen................ :o  :garrett:  :fisher:  :minelab:

• Like 1

Great ideas and I am sure more will follow when more people have time to use the GPZ for awhile. Do consider one thing however. A design goal with the GPZ was to make it simpler than the GPX and the settings were kept to a minimum on purpose.

A solution for this might be a simple menu, and then a secondary "advanced menu".

• Like 1

I don't know about more adjustments and settings. I'm the type that finds a toaster a bit complicated and I'm hopeless with a coffee maker. I am more confident, after only a few days, with the GPZ operating at a high level of it's potential than I am with the 5000 after a couple of years. I like real simple.

• Like 3

I don't know about more adjustments and settings. I'm the type that finds a toaster a bit complicated and I'm hopeless with a coffee maker. I am more confident, after only a few days, with the GPZ operating at a high level of it's potential than I am with the 5000 after a couple of years. I like real simple.

Chief Klunker,

That statement right there spoke volumes with me. 

• Like 1

I'm still waiting for mine to be delivered, but one thing I'd like to see software wise that doesn't appear possible from reading the manual is the ability to import rasterized map layers or KML/KMZ. Basically functionality to match any smartphone these days - the ability to realtime navigate over topos, geologic maps, your own maps you create in GIS, maps of placer prospects and mines, etc etc. There are tons of good sources out there nowadays, all free. If I still have to pull my phone out to see them then I might as well still use the GPS on my phone which makes the detector GPS useless to me especially considering the screen resolution is fairly low and my phone can show gridding much much more accurately than the GPZ, which would have been the only other use I can see for the onboard detector GPS.

Also, the memory is woefully inadequete, not sure what they are using for the brains inside but nowadays having a few GB onboard is normal without having to add any external SD card on. I can only assume they are intentionally crippling or restricting the tracks storage space in the software so I'd like to see them bump that storage up - tracks only take a few KB.

I agree, I think we'll see software updates at some point too, the detector appears to me designed for that purpose. Worth throwing out thoughts into a thread at least since they are reading this forum.

• Like 1

My software update, wish at this early stage, to add to others above.

Make a conversion and import tweak to allow GPS data, waypoints, tracks  assessable to moving map software like Oziexplorer. This will allow the use of mapping software that doesn`t require internet access, Oziexplorer mapping software allows the importation of geo, topo etc maps from sites such as QLD Mines complete with georeferencing. Probably even a touch screen on the GPZ with such maps also down the track a bit.

Big wish I guess, xchange2 whilst I understand is proprietary and gives security, surely the conversion of GPS data only is not going to hurt Minelabs patent protection. Buying such updates would be no drama.

Updates if there will be any should be free, I hope that they do not make a beautiful and easy to use detector more complicate, this is the reason I ordered one in the first place.

If someone like all the features that we had on the 5000, why did they change?

Cheers