Platinum Nugget Hunting

looking for another detector for platinum nuggets maybe some members could rate  just these 4 detectors .....whites 24k , gold bug , nox 800 , and  tdi ....remember the fact that these nuggets are #9 birdshot to max 1/4" in size in  heavy metal sands in a shallow river .....smaller coils then stock is ok in rating

There is no real difference between detecting gold nuggets or platinum nuggets. You ask specifically about four detectors:

1. Whites Goldmaster 24K - brand new, not in the hands of general public yet so too soon to know. Likely extremely hot on tiny targets, also likely to struggle in bad ground due to that very same small target intensity.

2. Fisher Gold Bug - Which one? The Gold Bug 2 is the “old reliable” and so a pretty safe bet. Though if it were me personally I would lean towards the 24K above as being a couple decades more up to date. The basic $499 Gold Bug is a very good performer at an entry level price.

3. Minelab Equinox 800 - a general purpose coin, relic, jewelry, prospecting unit. If that is what you are looking for it might be a good option.

4. White’s TDI - unlike other units above, a pulse induction detector. You get a detector like this to deal with intense ground and hot rocks, because in milder ground the units above will usually serve better, especially on the tiniest targets. But if your ground is so bad that the units above all fail, a PI is the automatic solution. 

For a deep dive into more information about the various options see Which Nugget Detector?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, geof_junk said:

Gold is not the most valuable metal.

A good link....

This article is interesting but in terms of value/pricing it is misleading.  The reason is that precious metals are commodities and their prices fluctuate.  For example, right now (will change tomorrow ?) gold has about 1.5 times the price of platinum.  Even palladium is currently higher priced that platinum.  A google search of "precious metals spot prices" will give the up-to-date values of the more well-known rare metals.

• Like 1

DEMAND (and or manipulation eg Silver a few years ago ) not rarity determines the price of a commodity.  In recent years only 160 tons of platinum are mined annually, as opposed to 1,500 tons of gold. GB_Amateur I was aware that prices in the article are not current as it has been in the past.In the past platinum has been used to counterfeit gold and has started to happen gain now due to price gap in the price. By the way I have to get someone to buy my gram of Californium soon as it nearly 5 years old now.?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, geof_junk said:

manipulation eg Silver a few years ago

You mean the Hunt brothers attempting to corner the market and control the price?  That was 1979.  I know, it seems like yesterday to me, too.  Time flies when you're having fun.  Wish I had kept up my detecting over the last 39 years, but "no time like the present."  There are still plenty of precious metals out there.  Let's get our share!

• Like 1