• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By George1971
      Hello Steve,
       I am George from Greece again. I will tell you what I dislike about minelab safari.
      The discrimination is not good and confusing, so you have to dig everything because you don’t know if you hit a pull tub or a small golden ring. Also, when I set discrimination there is a lot of iron masking.
      I have to do noise cancel every 20-30 minutes in order to work correctly.
      The depth measurer is very medium.
      It has terrible recovery speed.
      Has no ground mineralization indicator.
      In other words it is a tiring detector and you have to spend a lot of time to learn the nonferrous audios in order to understand approximately what you have hit.
      What I like is the silver coin sound and with a lot of trying copper sound.  But yesterday I was on beach handing, and I found several bob fishing with the same numbers and the sound of silver.
      Know, I am interested about silver, copper, gold coins, jewelry and relics and I am interested about deep targets. I do handing on the fields, mountains, parks and beach.
      I do not search for gold nuggets because we do not have in Greece (except Thrace region).
      I want your suggestion about 3 detectors (so I can choose) with the following specifications:
      -          Very good and precise discrimination.
      -          Very fast recovery speed.
      -          Extremely depth.
      -          Ground mineralization indicator.
      -          Tracking ground balance.
      -          Tone adjustment.
      -          Sensitivity adjustment.
      -          Soil adjustment.
      -          Simple but effective.
      -          Not too much expensive.
      (I was impressed by the Nokta/Makro metal detectors, although here in Greece there is a prejudice about Turkish products that they are not good in general)
      Do you think there is such a detector, or is it marketing tricks in order to shell new metal detectors every year? If I bought a new detector (because technology evolving) with the above specifications I will have better results?
      Thank you in advance for your answers.
      P.S.: I read your articles and reviews very often and my knowledge about metal detectors has change.  You have done very good work. Just continue.
    • By karelian
      If memory serve me correctly as a 17 year old I found myself swinging a Garrett A2B in one arm, the other arm holding a pick over my shoulder. No hat, no water, not GPS, just enthusiasm.
      Those days are long gone, getting back into electronic prospecting I found myself using a sling bag, it held water, gps, phone and a 5w handheld radio. A small pick hung off it and until I got myself a larger pick it was adequate. Problem was that I always had a reason to return to the car for something, which ate away at my swing time. I needed to equip myself so that I could operate for hours without needing to return to the vehicle. The addition of a decent size pick forced me to adopt a rig that allowed a large degree of independence. A molle battle belt and suspenders combined with a heavy duty leather belt formed the basis of my prospecting rig. A leather holster for the large pick, first aid kit, two way radio, GPS, phone, water bladder and water bottle, etc. I can simply add or detract as circumstances dictate. In remote areas I have a Personal Locator Beacon and additional safety gear, at other times an Ipad and phone replace the PLB. Snake first aid kit at all times, one in the car and one as part of the permanent first aid kit on the rig. I always leave trip information and details with family before going out, keep my first aid training up to date and maintain my gear, with particular care for keeping the car up to spec at all times.. 
      I can now go out detecting without needing to return to the vehicle for a whole day.  No more time wasting going back and forth, more swing time results.. safety and convenience.
      Pays to keep the gear mounted on the rear panels of the belt away from the front, less interaction between the detector and stuff. Easier to bend and dig. The water bladder carries 2 litres of water with ice cubes to keep it cool all day. The weight goes unnoticed and the pick is back far enough to not interfere with the detector. Set the rig up correctly and balance your load, the weigh disappears..
      The rig in the pictures is my second attempt using a better battle belt and harness. Easier to thread the leather in and out between molle panels to hold the leather pick holder. 
      Because of this rig I tend to wander off further and further, making the GPS and a map even more essential. The GPS to mark the location of the vehicle and to mark interesting locations, the topographic and geological map allows trip planning on the go.
      All a far cry from the 17 year old swinging the Garrett A2B with nothing but a pick.. All the best, Karelian.

• By BeachHunter
      I’m interested in finding a used Tejon. The Tesoro’s remind me of the Sovereign GT in some ways.

• By chainicin
      I always said that when i turned 50 i would treat myself to a metal detector. i am fortunate enough that i can afford an equinox 600 and everything i'm reading says it's really packing a lot of punch for the cost. 
      i'm looking for something to work across a lot of environments, including beaches. i couldn't have less of a specific need in mind- i want something that works pretty well anywhere i might pull up. if i dabble with a cheaper Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro will i notice where it comes up short? will i quickly wish i had just bought the nox?
      and i'm also worried about the learning curve. i don't want to spend all my time fine tuning if i don't really know how to fine tune. i realize i kind of want it all so that's why i am here for a reality check.
      being honest with myself, it's not something i am expecting to do too frequently right now- i sadly don't have the time. but i would love to take it on road trips and vacations as an extra something to do. maybe 10-15 days a year.

Minelab Equinox 600 metal detector
    • By phrunt
      Since I started detecting and started to visit this forum I've seen a number of old classic metal detectors in posts of people reminiscing and really wanted one, not so much because I think it will be something I'd use often, just to have a little piece of the history of detecting and a good addition to my collection.
      I never thought I'd see the day one popped up in NZ, it's hard enough to get a Whites detector here in the first place let alone an old classic but today I found one for sale, it's a Coin Master 6000/D
      Here is it's auction
      https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1916554080
      Was the Coinmaster a decent detector in it's day, is it one that could be collectable??
      It seems being old technology it would be reasonably easy to repair if it developed a fault.
      Would a coil on such an old detector still work well? Do the plastics go brittle and break easily?
      Is $168 USD / 250 NZD a fair price for one?
      I'm yet to contact the seller to see if it even works, it's not mentioned it it's advertisement so I can only assume it still works.
      I've also always wanted a Whites detector in my herd, the 24k was the one I was hoping for at some stage but I'd settle for an old collectable instead.
    • By phrunt
      I'm a bit puzzled on timings, I've pretty much left mine in sensitive extra since getting it and it seems the go-to timing for around here.  I only use mono coils and I'm  basically chasing tiny gold in soils with very low mineralisation, 1 gram is huge for me so we are talking 0.0X to 0.3 gram bits on average that I am chasing.  I was looking at timings charts on this site here and found the two best options for me below, I think.  Sharp appears to be best if using a DD, does that mean I'd be best off sticking with my sensitive extra seeing I use a mono coil or is a DD coil worth considering?
      I'm trying to see if there is a way I can scratch out a bit more depth on these little nuggets.
      This chart is the one that throws me out the most, basically no timings are "Excellent" for mono coils except Fine Gold, Enhance and Sens Smooth which are more for mineralised soils, only DD coils seem to have Excellent for the timings I'm trying to use for the small gold in mild soils..... ?

And this chart below describes the two timings I think might be best for me.