Grey Ghost Headphones For Equinox Available Soon?

Darwoody

13 hours ago, TedinVT said:

Daniel,

Please share your opinion of the LS.Pelso phones when you have a working pair.  Did you notice where these phones are made?  Is the headband padded?  Many thanks for yor input.

Ted

Ted,

The headband is hard plastic like the Koss phones.  The ear cups fit snug and fit my head much like hearing protection ear muffs.  The coiled wire is very thick gauge wire and way more beefy than the yellow Koss phones.  There were no markings or documentation in the box with the headphones to say where they were made.  

• Thanks 1

Steve, the amphibians I had and used on the ATX were very loud... at first...

they were “blow your ears off” loud on the ATX but quickly leaked water and became very quiet, so I sent them back to the USA... (pita) get my second set, within a couple water sessions same thing... sent back to USA (mega PITA)... anywho this went on until I just ended up selling them after they came back one time.

i have a couple mates who’ve had these and they went quiet so I ended up opening one of them to find the piezos corroded, all the hot glue (or whatever it was) falling off, wiring corroded... just the poorest quality.

if these are just amphibians with an equinox connector then STAY AWAY. The knob on the side introduces more potential failure too for no good reason...

16FBC3C9-91C7-426F-A5E6-0A630B40B23F.jpeg

A55CCC18-7451-4817-A032-7EBCC486318D.jpeg

• Like 3

Here are some screenshots from a sound meter app I used on my phone. My phone has mics on both ends of the phone so I just placed it between the earcup on each phone set. I waved a gold wedding band, penny, and dime across the coil (with pauses in between) and recorded the resulting audio graph. The phones tested were: 

The ML wired phones that came with the 600

The LS.Pelso WP Phones from Kellyco

The ML WP Phones

Custom modified GG Amphibians

Results: LS.Pelso's best volume, sound quality, sound isolation, and comfort.

In terms of volume the rankings were: LS.Pelso, ML 600 Phones, ML WP Phones, and the GG Amphibians bringing up the rear at about 15-20 db below the Pelsos on average.

dB numbers on the graph are not calibrated and should just be used for the purpose of side-by-side comparison under identical conditions.

Screenshot_20180825-142253.jpg

Screenshot_20180825-142331.jpg

Screenshot_20180825-142412.jpg

Screenshot_20180825-142443.jpg

Screenshot_20180825-144423.jpg

Screenshot_20180825-144518.jpg

Screenshot_20180825-144607.jpg

Screenshot_20180825-144706.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is the response I was going to write yesterday, but decided to give the manufacturer the benefit of the doubt, having not actually looked at them myself.  Seeing the pictures that Edsped posted is enough to confirm my suspicions. Dirt cheap components literally glued into some $10 lawnmower earmuffs.

"Based on some comments in this thread I might be able to extrapolate what is wrong with the GG you guys had.

A touchy volume control means they used the wrong kind of potentiometer. You need logarithmic for audio use, not linear.

Even when the volume control is on full, it will still attenuate the signal as it is still a resistor to ground. Using say a 1M ohm potentiometer instead of 100K ohm potentiometer would be better, for example.

Lastly the drivers themselves. It takes twice the amplifier power for every 3db loss in speaker efficiency. High efficiency costs more.

It sounds like they are poorly built, or the components were poorly selected, or a combination of both. Given the price of them, they could have spent an hour to choose the right components, or spend the money on nicer components. There isn't a consumer electronic device out there that has a potentially higher profit margin than headphones, so no excuses. Cheap headphone speakers start at about 10 cents, so it's not out of line to expect something a little better for the price, IMO of course."

That volume test is great thanks Chase ?

One thing to consider though is that the loudest 2 use speakers and the quietest 2 use piezos. I know the ml 600 headphones aren’t intended for water use but the LS PELSO are and when using speakers under water they will be very quiet, I know this because I have the ones from Hungary which were on eBay and look identical (I can see the speaker on Kellyco pics)

The hungarian headphones are so quiet underwater and get quieter the deeper you go, piezos aren’t bothered by water pressures so I’m guessing the 2 piezo based headphones will be much better underwater.

2 hours ago, Edsped said:

That volume test is great thanks Chase ?

One thing to consider though is that the loudest 2 use speakers and the quietest 2 use piezos. I know the ml 600 headphones aren’t intended for water use but the LS PELSO are and when using speakers under water they will be very quiet, I know this because I have the ones from Hungary which were on eBay and look identical (I can see the speaker on Kellyco pics)

The hungarian headphones are so quiet underwater and get quieter the deeper you go, piezos aren’t bothered by water pressures so I’m guessing the 2 piezo based headphones will be much better underwater.

Ed,

Thanks.  I agree with you and understand what you are saying.  I don't dive or intentionally dunk with the Equinox when water hunting preferring bay shallows and surf so I just want a pair that will survive a few unintentional dunkings without corroding out or failing outright.  The fact is I spend 99% of my time hunting with my head above water and the surf and other ambient beach noise make that type of hunting practically impossible with the piezo's, especially with the poor ambient sound isolation of the ML Koss phones.  When I am underwater I am concentrating on getting back out of the water rather than listening to tones, lol.  I can see where these would not be good for snorkeling or scuba with something like an Excal, but that is not what I do.  The Pelsos perform well enough that they would be my preferred foul weather phones too since the wireless phones are not weather resistant.

I stumbled across a thread on TreasureNet that had some interesting content on waterproof headphones.  Be sure to read both pages 1 and 2.  Here's the link:  http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/equinox/584289-ml-waterproof-headphones-volume.html

I am using the minelab waterproof headphones on my 800. I found them initially quiet due to the waterproof membrane so I tried changing the tone pitch. Using 2 tones I found that pitch 20 really punches through very loud, on a quiet beach I have to turn the volume down. Try changing the tone pitch, it worked for me.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Russell Banks said:

I am using the minelab waterproof headphones on my 800. I found them initially quiet due to the waterproof membrane so I tried changing the tone pitch. Using 2 tones I found that pitch 20 really punches through very loud, on a quiet beach I have to turn the volume down. Try changing the tone pitch, it worked for me.

I'll second that! Two tone, pitch 20 brings out the volume!