What To Get For A Second Detector?

Sasquatch

I'm not sure if my wife is going to get into this or not but she is keen on finding stuff, I've been giving her the pinpointer to dig out finds when we wander out together.

What would you guys recommend if I was going to get a detector for her in addition to my Eqx 800?  Seems silly to buy another of the exact same model but is there anything else in the price range that would be as easy to use and versatile as the Equinox's?  At least a waterproof coil and ability to detect wet saltwater gravels and sand would be high on the list. Would an used Infinium LS be something to consider?  

Thanks

I'd also say a 600 as well. Excellent value and only missing a few modes that most will never use.

In my case when the wife and I go detecting, I get stuck with the old AT Pro and she get's the newest lightweight machine. Mainly because she's not used to swinging a detector regularly, so the lighter the better just to keep up. I may get a 600 just for this too.

The 600 is the obvious recommendation. 

Makes a great backup to the 800 and a great primary water machine so you don't have to subject the 800 to that type of abuse. 

Even though the Infinium is discontinued, you can probably still find one new in box somewhere, and as a Pulse Induction machine it is perfect for one who likes to dig deep and dig it all... :happy:  I have an ATX (the Infinium's younger cousin), it's deep, it's heavy (Infinium is a little lighter), it can get wet, and I much prefer using my Equinox in the water.  Digging deep bobby pins gets old after awhile, not sure if she would enjoy that...

The 600 is the ticket and much less expensive.  Best value of ANYHING at or within plus a couple hundred dollars of its price point (except the 800, lol).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sdbirder said:

In my case when the wife and I go detecting, I get stuck with the old AT Pro and she get's the newest lightweight machine. 

This is exactly what would happen, I like my 800 though and don't want to give it up!

• Like 1

On 8/24/2018 at 1:44 AM, Sasquatch said:

This is exactly what would happen, I like my 800 though and don't want to give it up!

Your wife wont know the difference betwern the two detectors if you get a 600.  Seems more cost effective than two 800's to me and the fewer settings would be less confusing to a newbie.

• Like 1

If the wife is on the fence about detecting..... the 600 would be a MUCH better choice that a PI.   A finny....... man shed have to dig 3 times the stuff you do.   With its 10 uS......tiny stuff too.   For dirt hunting........ the Finny would be a sure way to make her stay home.

Another vote for the 600.

Since it is a slightly inexpensive version of a modern classic which you already own, it's an easy choice. It would make a great backup for you as well.

On the other hand, if you did want to get something different, I would look around for a deal on a Deus. It's light and pretty bad-ass in it's own right. With the Equinox out now and a new Deus coil due in the fall, the market is a soft as I've ever seen it on Deus.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2018 at 2:49 PM, Sasquatch said:

At least a waterproof coil and ability to detect wet saltwater gravels and sand would be high on the list.

If you really want decent performance in saltwater it really needs to be either multifrequency or pulse induction. No matter what anyone claims, single frequency is not as good in saltwater as either of those options. And with pulse induction being “dig it all” technology, most people prefer multifrequency.

That being the case the Equinox 600 does stand out. From Underwater Metal Detector Comparison...

waterproof-metal-detector-roundup-chart-

• Like 1