Detecting Coins & Relics On Mining Claims

Absolutely great post Barry! Thank you!! I think I am one of those people who are overly worried about this stuff based on more on hearsay than direct evidence. My experience with government types has been overwhelmingly positive. I guess horror stories about federal overreach down here are like bear stories in Alaska. Really scary but not really all that common either.

• Like 2

In my recollection Mike the restriction on detecting NRAs generally are created with each NRA. Those "restrictions" are not universal, one can detect with the permission of the Superintendent on the NRAs I'm familiar with. Maybe those restrictions are non existent or absolute on other NRAs - I really couldn't tell you without studying the laws regarding any specific NRA.

I left NRAs out of the request for the very reason that the use of detectors there and in National Parks and Historic Sites are controlled by different laws than other public lands.

Barry

Each person has to determine their tolerance for anxiety related to unenforceable or unenforced laws or regulations. That always comes down to an individual decision.

I certainly don't want to be in the position of telling adults how they must act or think. I share what I know with the hope that with knowledge comes power. Each individual must decide based on their own personal situation how they will deal with these types of situations. Far be it from me to be the judge of their decision but I hope I can help give them enough information to make that decision as fact based as possible.

I'm pretty fed up with executive agency overreach and I imagine some of that comes through in my writing. Much like you Steve the vast majority of my encounters with public servants is positive.

More than once I've had assistance in stemming that agency overreach from the very people who are the most involved in enforcing bad regulations or policies. One Forest Superintendent in particular was instrumental in helping me change public lands laws for the better at the Congressional level. There are some very good and caring people working for us despite the public perception of an ongoing battle with all public land managers.

I believe that education of the public land users will eventually overcome the bad intent of a few public land administrators. Making land management agency employees the enemy cuts us off from the many knowledgeable supporters we already have in those agencies. Manufactured fear or uncertainty plays into the hands of the very people who are not serving us well in the land management agencies. Seeing an enemy where there is none is counterproductive. Assuming bad intent when none has been demonstrated is a disservice to those public servants doing their best for a sometimes ungrateful public.

I envision a future where knowledgeable public land users are well served by the laws and their proper application by the agency land managers. There was a time in the not too distant past when we were close to obtaining that ideal. I don't know if that is ultimately possible today but I'm sure as ell going to do my best to bring it about. Rumor and fear are an obstruction to that goal so please forgive me if I bring some passion to my efforts to redirect those rumors and fear to something more useful.

Barry

• Like 4

Barry, thank you so much for your input!!!! I and pretty sure most here, are fed up with the overeach too. I actually have a pretty high tolerance for anxiety....meaning I dont give up what I love easily.

I will call the guy I mentioned,and get the story from him,and post it.

Also,speaking of overeach, just a FYI..the forest service law enforcement in Stanislaus N.F. near Coulterville,has been harassing miners on their own claim...even threatened to tazer one because he refused to show ID. You can find that info on the Americanminingrightsassociation (AMRA) website. Ray

This is an outstanding post. Thanks Barry for the info you provide. Thanks Ray for starting the thread.

Claim owners only own the mineral rights to their claim. If I want to hunt legal relics on a mining claim I am going to do it. If the claim owner is around I will discuss it with them first. I will not let somebody's ignorance of the law proscribe my legal activities. By the way, I own multiple mining claims.

• Like 1

ok Barry and anyone whos interested,I talked to my friend yesterday and got the story.

He hunted a site in the N.F. and posted the finds on a forum. Someone had a beef with him and contacted authorities. The feds showed up at his home with a search warrant. They put a good scare on him. They seemed initially to think he was part of a metsl detecting ring that would raid historical sites and sell their finds. He handed over his finds(meager) &cooperated. They said they would turn the case over to the DA. That was a few years ago,and nothing more has come of it...except now he will not detect on federal land at all.

It appears that Forest Service and BLM employees are following the letter of the law. I haven't found a single verifiable circumstance where any district manager has tried to make their own rules or regulations.  Real life.

Barry

Barry,

I'm assuming you are speaking of this in context to do with metal detecting.

Otherwise I have an issue with your statement.

I may be splitting hairs here but they sure misuse interpretation and intent of those

laws, rules and regulations with policy. Real life !

• Like 1